Make your own cables

Search This thread

Aliendex

Aug 26, 2012
www.marco182.altervista.org
Hello people,

I need to make a box that contain a "full-optional" docking station for my P3100, is this scheme a good start?

Because i need 2/3/4 usb host ports at the same time I decided to buy/dismember/integrate a USB HUB with an external power supply, so i put it in the scheme to make clear that component is in the dock and not outside!

What do you think? Does it work in a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100? :highfive:

Sorry for the white (DATA- ) cable

Last edited:
Reactions: zrjd

Andromepat

Dec 15, 2011
Hey guys,

I want to use my Tab as a retro game console. I use the 7" Tab's Dock with the 10.1 holder, everything fits and HDMI output works fine. I can plug my XBOX360 Wireless USB Receiver into the dock and this works too. But HDMI needs power to work.

Is it possible to mod a 30pin-to-USB cable as shown in the opening post, wiring diagram "USB Host with power" and use this one plugged into the dock. Don't want to open the dock and mod it inside.

Add: So I worked through the whole thread (puh) and think, that these posts by THEDEVIOUS1 and MRBR7 in combination with emil_b's photos will lead to success.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Hey, did you buy the cable? I am interested in it too!

Thanks in advance,
Have not tested this, but it's just a 30pin-to-USB and a hub - all in one cable. Don't think there can be any issues.

Last edited:

bobn4burton

Jul 28, 2009
So I'm interested in a USB Host (OTG) plus charging. From the first post and the bit of thread scanning...it appears this is possible. Couple questions:

1. Does the 30 pin connector pin-out and possible cable options from the first post work on the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1?
2. When doing USB Host + Charging, does the tablet charge in slow mode (trickle) or does it charge in fast charge mode?
3. Where is the best place to buy the 30 pin connectors in the US if I was going to make my own cable?

Thanks...!!

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
Yes the charge and host at same time Does work..Ive confirmed it here already as have many others..
It charges as "AC charging" which is full speed (not trickle)..

Yes will work with most tabs only one i know of that wont work is older model origonal 7"
10.1,8.9,7.7 works..

Best place to buy 30 pin plug is online from "Kinetica"..

My advice would be to buy a "Break out board for Galaxy tab"..from Kinetica site..
Or can modify a Dock but Break out Board would be easier to solder as bigger....

have fun and post up some pics when you do it..

Andromepat

Dec 15, 2011
@MRBR7: I thought about something like the diagram attached. (° = Port no.)
ASCII wiring diagrams rule! ;)

Attachments

• chargeNusbNhdmi.jpg
    chargeNusbNhdmi.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 515

bobn4burton

Jul 28, 2009
Yes the charge and host at same time Does work..Ive confirmed it here already as have many others..

Yes will work with most tabs only one i know of that wont work is older model origonal 7"
10.1,8.9,7.7 works..

My advice would be to buy a "Break out board for Galaxy tab"..from Kinetica site..
Or can modify a Dock but Break out Board would be easier to solder as bigger....

have fun and post up some pics when you do it..

Cool...thanks for answering my questions so quickly! I guess I have one more question before before I start buying parts. There isn't anyway to get USB Host + Charging with a standard cable (or even one from ebay)? Perhaps using a normal OTG cable with a kernel mod or something (ala Nexus 7)?

Just wanted to verify there wasn't an easier method before I start modding up my own cable...

Thanks again...

Reactions: Andromepat

Andromepat

Dec 15, 2011
Cool...thanks for answering my questions so quickly! I guess I have one more question before before I start buying parts. There isn't anyway to get USB Host + Charging with a standard cable (or even one from ebay)? Perhaps using a normal OTG cable with a kernel mod or something (ala Nexus 7)?

Just wanted to verify there wasn't an easier method before I start modding up my own cable...

Thanks again...
That's what I'm aiming at. Cutting a standard data cable in two and then applying a "circuit" (it's just putting the right wire together and adding one resistor) according the wiring diagram in the opening post. Would be nice, but I'm quite afraid of breaking my Tab.

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
@MRBR7: I thought about something like the diagram attached. (° = Port no.)
ASCII wiring diagrams rule! ;)

Yes that looks like it would work..
The only issue i can see how ever is PIN 8 is not populated by the origonal docking station.
You can only get Pin 7..but ive done it and can confirm it works.
If you use a break out board you could use pin 8 aswell.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Thanks again...

Ever pulled apart a cable and looked at soldering wires to it?
Its alot harder than it looks..
seriously Buy a Break out board from kinetica they dont cost much...
or mod the dock..you will definatley need a magnifying glass or wear magnifying glasses to solder it
its still pretty small and the pins are close togther.
after finnished soldering the wires clean up the solder by cutting down both sides of the board with a razor blade.
I did this then tested with a test light the surronding pins by applying power to the new wire and testing the neigbour pins for short circuit.
after this you are good to glue the wires with contact cerment or silicon them in place.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

That's what I'm aiming at. Cutting a standard data cable in two and then applying a "circuit" (it's just putting the right wire together and adding one resistor) according the wiring diagram in the opening post. Would be nice, but I'm quite afraid of breaking my Tab.
you could do it but seriously the standard 30 pin plug is not something i would like to attempt to solder...
maybe you could use a microscope lol...Its so small and the pins are so close togther.

bobn4burton

Jul 28, 2009

10.1,8.9,7.7 works..

Not to beat a dead horse here...and please don't think I doubt what you are saying...

But I was just about to place an order for a connector breakout when I decided to call up and talk to someone from Kinetica as I figured they'd probably be pretty knowledgable on the subject. Interestingly, the guy I talked to claimed that they've tried tons of stuff trying to get Charging + OTG simultaneously and they can only get it to 'trickle' charge, not full speed ac charging. When he wired power into the aux power inputs and usb data into the usb data pins...he still gets a red x and it just trickle charges.

So if you are really getting yours to work with a full speed AC charging + OTG at the same time...did you wire yours EXACTLY as shown in the first post? Any slight differences at all? Could this be dependent on the firmware version? What hardware and firmware version is your tab? Have you tested by verifying the battery still charges even under heavy usage (watching a movie or gaming for an hour or two)?

Guess I'll just order one of those breakout connectors and try for myself...but it was disappointing to hear the findings from the guy at Kinetica...he seemed like he was pretty knowledgeable in the area.

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
Sorry if i sound like a Broken record saying the same thing over and over but That is how i did it and its definatley AC charging.
Ask the kinetica guy to try add a "externally powered HDD" with only 5v power on pin7 and earth to pin 30..then see what it does...
*Remember to power the drive and your 5v source to Dock/Breakout Board before turning the Tab on...Then Turn it on with everything connected.Dont touch anything,Let it load up into a lock screen and the lock screen will tell you its charging.I will also point out this was done on a 7.7 Tab with origonal ICS Rom..and also worked on Honeycombe...

If you cant Repeat what ive done there maybe a reason such as Kernal changes to newer JB roms...
Theres a Thread about USB Host with charging at same time for galaxy S3 with a mod to resistance value to allow power to travel in 2
directions whilst in usb host mode,this allowed it to charge and host at the same time.
When the S3 was running ICS it worked but when JB OTA upgrade came along it suddenly wouldnt work anymore!..
So if you guys are running the Tab 10.1 or Tab2 7" on JB or running a JB Based Rom I cant garentee it will work..
Other than that it should work on most samsung tablets..

ArturS13

Apr 4, 2013
Hello people,

I need to make a box that contain a "full-optional" docking station for my P3100, is this scheme a good start?

Because i need 2/3/4 usb host ports at the same time I decided to buy/dismember/integrate a USB HUB with an external power supply, so i put it in the scheme to make clear that component is in the dock and not outside!

What do you think? Does it work in a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100? :highfive:

Sorry for the white (DATA- ) cable

This scheme works?

Attachments

• dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.jpg
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 760

MRBR7

May 27, 2012

Had a look at this before..
Its good, Just had a thought..
If you are going to open up the USB powered hub,
Then why dont you steal power from either its output or input and send it to the tabs power wires.
no need for that additional cable to charge it.
Also I did on one of my updates cut a USB mini cable in half and solder it directley to the break out board.
This eliminated the trouble of usb host cutting out whilst using it in a vehicle driving over bumps etc or getting knocked by kids running around etc. this usb mini cable can be plugged into most usb powerd hubs as the data cable or directley to powered hdds.
only the 30 pin samsung plug to fail..I also put a elastic band around the Hdd to hold the USB mini cable inplace to stop possible disconnects.
After this mod i had many months of trouble free motoring.I use my Tab on the road a bit and access music and family pics etc from hdd so needed to charge at same time as it goes flat using the Hdd.

xarloq

Feb 28, 2008
Sofia
Hi Guys,
anyone has a complete scheme for otg+charging+sound output via 30 pin for gt2 7.0 3g ?
If it is at all possible ?

cheers ;)

G.

TnA.Plastic

Dec 24, 2013
Hello. :)

Just wanted to ask, if it is possible to create a "Multi-Adapter",
One where I can connect HDMI and USB-Devices+Flashcards to and charge the Tab at the same time (and compatible to the "Dock")?
I would use an external Power-Supply, or the Standard-USB-2Amp-Powersupply, which was included with my Tab.

Something which auto-switches, where the connected USB-Devices get their power from (depending on the external power-supply... If it is connected, it sucks power from it and charges Tab too... and if not, it sucks power from the Tab...)

If there is something like that available, I would also buy it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (currently testing Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, while of course still keeping a backup of 4.3.1)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far I have learned how to make a USB host cable and a universal charging cable. I have shared this in a few post but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place with a diagram.

I will update this drawing as I learn how to build the other cables.

Thanks goes out to pokey9000 for sharing how to do the USB host and nudging me the right way for figuring out the charging!

Update:
    I guess the titles of each is not enough to properly relay what each does so here is a quick description of each.
    1. USB Host - Puts the Tab into host mode so that you can use items like thumb drives and keyboards. If you want to use a USB powered hard drive, you will need to use a powered hub.
    2. USB Host w/ Power - Puts the Tab into host mode but also allows you to charge the unit at the same time.
    3. Universal Charging - For making a 30-pin cable that will let you charge your Tab off any 5V source so that you don't get the red X over the battery. When doing this, data transfers will not work.
    4. Universal Charging Inline cable - For if you don't want to buy a 30pin connector or cut up your OEM cable, you can put this in line with your OEM cable and use any 5V source.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    It is my first time linking a picture which you can't just upload, you need to link to an existing online photo.

I think I fixed the problem use ImageShack but if you still have issues viewing, use the below link

GT Cable layouts
    okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
    Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
    Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
    http://shop.kineteka.com/products/200-samsung-tabbreakout.aspx

If you want to take a USB keyboard and make it work, the easiest thing for a beginner would be to get the tab breakout connector and then solder the wires as shown in the diagram. If you don't have a female connector, you can cut off the male connector from the keyboard and just match up the colors.
    Only get the other connector if you have a way to ohm out the pins so you know what is what, have a good soldering iron with a fine tip, and also have a steady hand. I got my connectors in the mail last night and I can probably take a picture and specify the pin layout if you like.

As for the HDMI, I am not sure yet. Seems like either no one has an adapter or if they do, don't want to share what the insides look like. For the older tab, it had one pin for standard video, but HDMI has 19 pins so either a lot of pins on the 30pin connector get reassigned in some way, or there might be some type of chip that does the conversion. I don't know enough about HDMI to make a proper assessment at this point. I hope someone with an actual adapter will chime in soon.
    From a portable battery, like one of those from Zagg, that supply 1A.

Not a good idea. Those Y cables just short together the 5V from both plugs, assuming they come from different USB jacks on the same PC and so the same power supply. If you do this with the Tab and a USB battery pack, the battery will feed power into the Tab's USB host power supply when it turns off in sleep mode.
    I'm going to create these boards and order them so if they work i can just share it with the community. You guys won't have to do anything besides install the parts or something.