[Q] How can I change the default carrier settings for an HTC Snap?

Search This thread

cuhulainn423

Dec 4, 2013
Short story: I'd like to be able to activate US Cellular and Telus branded Snaps on Verizon or Sprint. Assume for the purposes of this question that the ESN on these devices can be activated on Verizon's network. What steps must be taken for the phone to be recognized on the Verizon network such that data will work?

What I can do/have already tried: Activated US Cellular and other carrier's HTC Snap (SMT6175) devices on both Verizon and Sprint's networks via both OTA and manual programming of the MDN, etc. The device works fine for voice and text, but data does not work. I've changed the CID of the device using a Riffbox, I've manually changed HDR AN and PPP user IDs and passwords, I've put HSPL on the SMT6175 and installed the stock WM6.5 Verizon ROM. The phones activate using OTAP, but don't get the correct UID and passwords in the PPP fields for some reason.

If I do a hard reset after making modifications, the phones go back to thinking they are US Cellular phones, based on the pre-populated settings in the PPP and other fields.

I need to figure out what it is that makes the phones know they should revert back to US Cellular or whatever the original carrier was, and hopefully make permanent changes so that I can get the phones to work just like a real Verizon HTC Ozone (xv6175) that could be activated normally via OTAP, and have voice, text, and data working.

Any ideas or suggestions? Please reply or send PM! Thanks!