[Q] Will I ever actually get consistent battery use?

Search This thread

turbofandude

Jul 1, 2014
Hey guys,

I've been battling location related wakelocks from Gnow et al recently and finally came to simply using Xposed and WakeLock Terminator to block those wakelocks (which appears to correct that issue) and instead, immediately after, had audiomix keep my phone awake (despite no video/music/sounds). Upon research, I just keep finding wakelock after wakelock after setting to debug and fix - is there actually any way to get a dependable device? Am I doomed to always hope the night before my meeting is not the night the phone decides it's playing imaginary audio all night?

I love Android, I love the Nexus 5, and I can deal with 1-2% idle burn, I can deal with 4-5 hours SoT, and I can deal with leaving some location related things off. What I ABSOLUTELY cannot deal with is never knowing. For a device I'm paying well into three digits for that's supposed to take notes, make reminders, keep me in touch, and so on, it had DAMN well be able to stay on. I hated the iPhone in many ways, but dependability was something it never failed in - it did always work.

I've tried settings, I've tried debugging battery, I've tried custom ROM and stock ROM, three different kernels (counting stock).

So, tell me, what do I do to be able to count on my phone (without disabling everything enjoyable besides radio)? Please do not flame me for this, but I'm actually losing my patience fast. Any help is appreciated (and yes, I've checked forums, looked up the "improving Nexus 5 battery" posts, and what not - I realize I'll lose battery with High Accuracy location on, I realize WiFi drains it a bit, that's fine. I'm simply talking about fixing the bullsh*t stuff).

Thank you so much in advance.

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Well how long does your battery last? And what does your battery stats say you get for usage and screen time?

The whole Android system operates on wakelocks, if you get rid of em all you'll just have a brick. It's the excessive ones that shouldn't be you need to stop

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Hey guys,

I've been battling location related wakelocks from Gnow et al recently and finally came to simply using Xposed and WakeLock Terminator to block those wakelocks (which appears to correct that issue) and instead, immediately after, had audiomix keep my phone awake (despite no video/music/sounds). Upon research, I just keep finding wakelock after wakelock after setting to debug and fix - is there actually any way to get a dependable device? Am I doomed to always hope the night before my meeting is not the night the phone decides it's playing imaginary audio all night?

I love Android, I love the Nexus 5, and I can deal with 1-2% idle burn, I can deal with 4-5 hours SoT, and I can deal with leaving some location related things off. What I ABSOLUTELY cannot deal with is never knowing. For a device I'm paying well into three digits for that's supposed to take notes, make reminders, keep me in touch, and so on, it had DAMN well be able to stay on. I hated the iPhone in many ways, but dependability was something it never failed in - it did always work.

I've tried settings, I've tried debugging battery, I've tried custom ROM and stock ROM, three different kernels (counting stock).

So, tell me, what do I do to be able to count on my phone (without disabling everything enjoyable besides radio)? Please do not flame me for this, but I'm actually losing my patience fast. Any help is appreciated (and yes, I've checked forums, looked up the "improving Nexus 5 battery" posts, and what not - I realize I'll lose battery with High Accuracy location on, I realize WiFi drains it a bit, that's fine. I'm simply talking about fixing the bullsh*t stuff).

Thank you so much in advance.

Sounds to me like you're too much into finding a problem

Audio Mix is actually a number of things, not just songs playing or Spotify etc. how long does your battery last ? i don't even touch wake locks or battery saving apps and i get a consistent 3:30 hours screen on time with 14 hours standby

Thats with a usage of :

Chrome
whatsapp
facebook
youtube
twitter
Google Now on
Location high accuracy
tasker - checking network location
" ok google" everywhere
manual brightness
mix of wifi/3g
etc

You mentioned a lot of wakelocks and didn't actually mention the sort of battery life you're getting

Last edited:

turbofandude

Jul 1, 2014
You may be right about the finding a problem thing. I'm probably a bit paranoid now, but I do get between 6-15% burn per out SoT and seemingly indefinite idle (Carbon + ElementalX is nice) when it's working like expected - it's just the inconsistency that drives me insane. If it was ALWAYS 2%/hour idle burn, I could learn to deal with that. It's just when I go to bed with it at 30-40% and wake up with it dead that I can't afford to have happen.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
You may be right about the finding a problem thing. I'm probably a bit paranoid now, but I do get between 6-15% burn per out SoT and seemingly indefinite idle (Carbon + ElementalX is nice) when it's working like expected - it's just the inconsistency that drives me insane. If it was ALWAYS 2%/hour idle burn, I could learn to deal with that. It's just when I go to bed with it at 30-40% and wake up with it dead that I can't afford to have happen.
It's difficult to be consistent all the time with a phone, the radio in a bad area can kill your battery just as you mentioned... That being said 40% overnight is insane

turbofandude

Jul 1, 2014
I seem to have fixed the wakelock by removing DSP Manager and blocking location wakelocks. I'm a little OCD with technology... lol

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
AudioMixIn? That's the OK Google hotword detection feature.

Battery has been consistent for me. The only time it isn't is when I'm in an area with weak signal and trying to use data, then power usage can go up 10x as high as normal even just idling. Otherwise, I always know what to expect but I have turned paired down the features that tend to drain uncontrollably when the phone isn't even being used such as WiFi Locations and Auto Syncs.

I go to bed with it at 30-40% and wake up with it dead that I can't afford to have happen.

That shouldn't ever happen (never has for me), but if you want it to be full in the morning it's best to plug it in.

Last edited:

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
I wish battery threads would die a long, slow painful death.

If battery threads had a human form, I'd torture them like Theon in GOT.

The answer? Every device is different. No battery life from one user will be replicated by another user.

BOTTOM LINE.

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
There are too many various factors for battery to remain consistent as others have stated. The only thing you can do is attempt to be resourceful and your battery life should remain decent to high all the time.

Lower brightness, disable unneeded features, uninstall non-used apps, use Greenify on Facebook/Kik, use 2G radio when not connected to WiFi if you can deal with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are too many various factors for battery to remain consistent as others have stated. The only thing you can do is attempt to be resourceful and your battery life should remain decent to high all the time.

Lower brightness, disable unneeded features, uninstall non-used apps, use Greenify on Facebook/Kik, use 2G radio when not connected to WiFi if you can deal with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app