[Q] Updating Bootloader

Search This thread

gdselzer

Aug 30, 2010
I have an unlocked and rooted tf700 that I have loaded with CM11. I am currently on bootloader 10.6.1.14.8 and using CWM 6.0.4.7.

I would like to install the newly released SlimKat ROM for the device, but it requires the most up to date bootloader, 10.6.1.14.10. I can't figure out how to update my device.

I tried the guide here, but that appears to only work if you are on stock. I also tried the zip package in this post that includes the bootloader and TWRP, but I get an "assert" error from CWM when trying to install the zip.

Can anyone please point me to a guide on how to update the bootloader to 10.6.1.14.10 on this tablet with a custom ROM loaded?

Last edited:

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I have an unlocked and rooted tf700 that I have loaded with CM11. I am currently on bootloader 10.6.1.14.8 and using CWM 6.0.4.7.

I would like to install the newly released SlimKat ROM for the device, but it requires the most up to date bootloader, 10.6.1.14.10. I can't figure out how to update my device.

I tried the guide here, but that appears to only work if you are on stock. I also tried the zip package in this post that includes the bootloader and TWRP, but I get an "assert" error from CWM when trying to install the zip.

Can anyone please point me to a guide on how to update the bootloader to 10.6.1.14.10 on this tablet with a custom ROM loaded?

BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP INCLUDING YOUR PERSONAL STUFFS...:)

1.Go to Asus support website and download the correct SKU for you device
2. Extract it once and it should be another zip file
3. Go to CWM and install the second zip file
4. You should have the latest bootloader that you just downloaded but you need to use fastboot to install your custom recovery again, good luck...:fingers-crossed:

gdselzer

Aug 30, 2010
BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP INCLUDING YOUR PERSONAL STUFFS...:)

1.Go to Asus support website and download the correct SKU for you device
2. Extract it once and it should be another zip file
3. Go to CWM and install the second zip file
4. You should have the latest bootloader that you just downloaded but you need to use fastboot to install your custom recovery again, good luck...:fingers-crossed:

Sorry, should have mentioned that I tried that as well. I get an assert failed, Status 7 error when I try installing the zip from the Asus website.

Last edited:

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Sorry, should have mentioned that I tried that as well. I get an assert failed, Status 7 error when I try installing the zip from the Asus website.

Try this method and start reading page #2, good luck...:D

http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/help/firmware-manual-flash-t2858019/page2

EDIT: Did you have a correct SKU for your device? The error message is telling you that something is incompatible with your device. You may want to double check the file to be safe...;)

Last edited:

gdselzer

Aug 30, 2010
Been working on this for a few days now and I'm stuck. I've never used fastboot before.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, so I installed fastboot via:

Code:
sudo aptitude install android-tools-fastboot

I moved the blob to /usr/bin (directory where fastboot lives) and do
Code:
fastboot devices
Result is
015d2a5087181817 fastboot
Looking good, right?
Now I try
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash system blob
< waiting for device >
and it just sits there. Same thing if I try
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

How do I get fastboot to work?

Try this method and start reading page #2, good luck...:D

http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/help/firmware-manual-flash-t2858019/page2

EDIT: Did you have a correct SKU for your device? The error message is telling you that something is incompatible with your device. You may want to double check the file to be safe...;)

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Been working on this for a few days now and I'm stuck. I've never used fastboot before.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, so I installed fastboot via:

Code:
sudo aptitude install android-tools-fastboot

I moved the blob to /usr/bin (directory where fastboot lives) and do
Code:
fastboot devices
Result is

Looking good, right?
Now I try
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash system blob

and it just sits there. Same thing if I try
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

How do I get fastboot to work?

Don't worry 14.8 is the same as 14.10 so you don't need to upgrade ;)

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
I moved the blob to /usr/bin (directory where fastboot lives)

If you're root that should work, but you shouldn't do this. Putting non-programs in /usr/bin the wrong thing to do, and you should normally not work as root either. Instead you should have your udev rules set up so you can access your device with your normal user account. Your files should be somewhere in your home directory. If you don't specify a path for your blob in the fastboot command line, your blob must be in the *current* directory.

But if you do work as root (dangerous as it is), you can avoid setting udev rules. Your blob must still be in your current directory, not in the directory where fastboot is. Or you specify the path to your blob, e.g. "fastboot flash system ~/tf700/blob" (or wherever you put it).