[HOWTO] [ROOT] Reset Flash Counter [Confirmed VZW, Assumes others are the same]

Search This thread

enderblue

May 14, 2010
So, you managed to trip the flash counter.

Here are the commands to reset the flash counter. This works on my VZW rooted phone. Since all of the other variants have a very similar (same?) partition setup, this "might" work for them as well ("might" is the key word).

I take no responsibility for you voiding warranty.

I used this post as the basis for my theory and then used my phone as the test for said theory: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28953690&postcount=67

The "'\x00'" portion tells it what resets it to 0. If you wanted to be funny, you could set it to a different number.

adb shell
su
echo -n '\x01' | dd obs=1 count=1 seek=4193796 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

I can only confirm that this works on the VZW variant. Until I get some dumps of the other variants, I can only assume it will work for them.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

johnhazelwood

Oct 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
This is great news! Is there a way to read the value to confirm it's been incremented? (I have an AT&T phone, and would like to confirm the value is 1 right now - which is my current flash count).

Here are the commands to reset the flash counter. This works on my VZW rooted phone. Since all of the other variants have a very similar (same?) partition setup, this "might" work for them as well ("might" is the key word).

I used this post as the basis for my theory and then used my phone as the test for said theory: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28953690&postcount=67

The "'\x00'" portion tells it what resets it to 0. If you wanted to be funny, you could set it to a different number.

adb shell
su

I can only confirm that this works on the VZW variant. Until I get some dumps of the other variants, I can only assume it will work for them.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

johnhazelwood

Oct 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
go to download mode and look on top left of the screen , small text in white.

Sorry, I might not have worded that correctly. I'd like to read that memory block that he's proposing we change and see if the value stored is the same as what's displayed on the Download screen (which I can see). Basically, as I understand it, his command will reset the counter. I just want to confirm that on an AT&T flavor of the phone, the results of that memory block are the same.

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
Sorry, I might not have worded that correctly. I'd like to read that memory block that he's proposing we change and see if the value stored is the same as what's displayed on the Download screen (which I can see). Basically, as I understand it, his command will reset the counter. I just want to confirm that on an AT&T flavor of the phone, the results of that memory block are the same.

I think this will work:
Code:
dd bs=1 count=1 skip=4193796 if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 2>/dev/null | od -t

Reactions: strut310

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
Actually Chainfire just released v1.70 of Triangle Away today that resets the counter on the US/Canadian variants. Not sure if he used the same method as the OP here, but thanks for your research into this as well!

wbounds

Feb 12, 2008
Houston, Texas
How does this compare to someone who has not tripped their counter?
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
If this is correct then we got it and returns are possible

Apr 12, 2008
Just tried triangle away and it worked for me as well. AT&T S 3

Chainfire u the man.
Thanks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

malinois16

Jun 28, 2012
Duson, LA

adb shell
su

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Works like a charm on the ATT Variant here!

Reactions: enderblue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb shell
    su

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
    Confirmed it works on AT&T. Counter from 1 to 0.
    As far as I understand, a flag is being tripped in the bootloader which causes the "unlocked" padlock to appear. By flashing the tars we have now via odin, it does not flash the bootloader, only /system/ so the flag remains.

That "unlocked" icon will likely be there until the smart guys in the room figure out a way around the locked bootloader.

In Adam's OP are the bootloader and pda to flash. After flashing these and performing a data/cache wipe you will not have the Custom unlock showing. Performed this just last night.

*Just for FYI. He added them yesterday afternoon I believe.
    Actually Chainfire just released v1.70 of Triangle Away today that resets the counter on the US/Canadian variants. Not sure if he used the same method as the OP here, but thanks for your research into this as well!