64GB Micro SD Card, EXFAT, and TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

volumnus

Nov 27, 2008
BestBuy has the class 10 SanDisk 64GB micro sd card for 43 bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk...8457270220&skuId=4120116&st=4120116&cp=1&lp=1

I took the plunge. I've been reading a lot of posts that claim it doesn't work on the Note 2, but an equal amount that say it does. I know you can either format it in fat32 or exfat. Exfat allows you to store files larger than 4GB, such as HD movies.Is there any other advantage to using exfat than the 4GB file size option? Also, I'm pretty sure exfat won't work with TWRP recovery, right? I'd be stuck with stock recovery if I opted for exfat formatting, right?

volumnus

Nov 27, 2008
According to my reading...

TWRP is a recovery not a kernel. If you're running stock kernel exfat should work.

It will not find the your SD card if you try to do a backup and restore if you formatted the card using exfat. I wonder what would happen if I went ahead and installed TWRP, but when I did my back up I inserted a smaller, back-up card that formatted with fat32. I could reinsert the fat32 card only if I needed to restore the backup...

Last edited:

powerwagon

Jun 6, 2010
It will not find the your SD card if you try to do a backup and restore if you formatted the card using exfat. I wonder what would happen if I went ahead and installed TWRP, but when I did my back up I inserted a smaller, back-up card that formatted with fat32. I could reinsert the fat32 card only if I needed to restore the backup...

Can you do a backup to your sdcard? If so, how?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
For CWM, if you want to back up to extSdCard, you have to select "backup to external card" or something like that.

for TWRP, the latest version supports exFAT & when you are in backup, you can select if you want to backup to internal or external sdcard. its a radio button.

powerwagon

Jun 6, 2010
For CWM, if you want to back up to extSdCard, you have to select "backup to external card" or something like that.

for TWRP, the latest version supports exFAT & when you are in backup, you can select if you want to backup to internal or external sdcard. its a radio button.

Pretty sure I saw one of the TWRP developers say today that it does not support exfat... could be wrong though.

volumnus

Nov 27, 2008
On google play

People are saying clockwork mod rom manager does not support note 2 yet. I think you can use Odin to install it however. Maybe it's just that the app doesn't support note 2 yet. I wonder if I should just wait until the goole play clockwork mod app adds note 2 support. I suspect it won't be long.

Pretty sure I saw one of the TWRP developers say today that it does not support exfat... could be wrong though.

Last edited:

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA

The latest version supports exFAT because I'm using TWRP with a 64gb formatted exFAT & the dev released a version that supports exFAT in the TWRP thread.

People are saying clockwork mod rom manager does not support note 2 yet. I think you can use Odin to install it however. Maybe it's just that the app doesn't support note 2 yet. I wonder if I should just wait until the goole play clockwork mod app adds note 2 support. I suspect it won't be long.

You don't need to use ROM manager because CWM & TWRP does everything it does and if you want to update CWM then you'll have to use ODIN.

Last edited:

volumnus

Nov 27, 2008
Can you post a link to the version of TWRP that supports exfat. I can't find it. Is it just the latest version, 2.3.1.3?

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Can you post a link to the version of TWRP that supports exfat. I can't find it. Is it just the latest version, 2.3.1.3?

Just download GooManager from the Play store and select to install Open Recovery (like previous poster said). The first few releases of TWRP did not support exFat, but the dev was nice enough to add it.

I just booted into TWRP and confirmed it's there.

Reactions: volumnus

volumnus

Nov 27, 2008
Thanks.

Just download GooManager from the Play store and select to install Open Recovery (like previous poster said). The first few releases of TWRP did not support exFat, but the dev was nice enough to add it.

Thanks to everyone for clearing this up! The developer of TWRP should consider noting that TWRP now offers exfat support on the TWRP OP. That's a pretty big deal IMO.

My phone arrives Monday, but my 64gb card probably won't be here for a while. In the meantime I will be using a 32GB fat32 card. Any harm in just powering down the phone and switching cards when the new, larger exfat card arrives? Switching cards never seemed to be an issue on my old Inspire. I mainly just use the card to house music and movies.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The latest version supports exFAT because I'm using TWRP with a 64gb formatted exFAT & the dev released a version that supports exFAT in the TWRP thread.

You don't need to use ROM manager because CWM & TWRP does everything it does and if you want to update CWM then you'll have to use ODIN.
    Can you post a link to the version of TWRP thst supports exfat. I can't find it.

Goo manager in the play store has the latest TWRP.