[Q] Can't open Security settings after restoring Nandroid for replacement

Search This thread

Platypus222

Dec 20, 2010
OK, so I have a Moto X Developer Edition (rooted, stock 4.4.2) that I recently requested a replacement for from Motorola. I took a full Nandroid backup on the old phone and restored it on the new one. After ironing out the initial kinks on the original phone (disabling Xposed and removing PIN) and trying again, the new phone looked to be at 100% until I tried setting my PIN up again. Whenever I try to go to the Security settings, I get an "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" message. One suggestion I found was to re-flash system.img, which I did to no avail. This page gives a way to fix the issue by fixing permissions of a file, but it seems to be specific to the Nexus 4 as the Moto X does not have the file specified (or at least I can't find it).

The only other potential means to fixing this that I can find is to wipe the data partition, but that means I can't use my Nandroid backup, which means more work I'd like to prevent if possible. Of course, I still have both phone for a limited time, so if there's something I can do on the original phone that will make my backup usable, that would also work.

Thanks!

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
If they are both rooted etc backup everything with Titanium backup then restore to the new phone everything except settings related apps.

Not saying that's the fix but it's definitely what I would try next. If it doesn't work the first time. Factory reset the phone, wipe caches, confirm settings works then restore again. If that doesn't work let me know, we'll troubleshoot some more.

Ctrl-Freak

Oct 15, 2013
That error is likely related to a mismatch between /system and the modem/radio version.

I am guessing you restored the 4.4.2 nandroid to the phone while it was running 4.2.2. This will not flash the modem, but you can manually flash the corresponding modem for your build of android using fastboot.

Platypus222

Dec 20, 2010
That error is likely related to a mismatch between /system and the modem/radio version.

I am guessing you restored the 4.4.2 nandroid to the phone while it was running 4.2.2. This will not flash the modem, but you can manually flash the corresponding modem for your build of android using fastboot.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Where can I get the modem/radio image file? I have the zip from the latest version but I don't see it in there.

Ctrl-Freak

Oct 15, 2013
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Where can I get the modem/radio image file? I have the zip from the latest version but I don't see it in there.

The modem is called NON-HLOS.bin. Also, I believe that "fsb.mbn" is related to the modem, and I update mine whenever I update the modem.

Here are the commands for motorola's fastboot (do not use a generic fastboot exe):
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The modem is called NON-HLOS.bin. Also, I believe that "fsb.mbn" is related to the modem, and I update mine whenever I update the modem.

Here are the commands for motorola's fastboot (do not use a generic fastboot exe):
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2

Thank you! So far as I can tell that worked perfectly!