Galaxy Note: ATT vs International - review

Search This thread

Orange_furball

Feb 3, 2012
Scranton
:eek::confused::(:mad:2GB???????:mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:

You do understand why the 2gb can aggravate people. I get mad at apple because on my (soon to be gone) iPhone, the storage is 28gb instead of 32gb. That's 80% of the advertised storage. Now, for the note, 2gb is only 12%. That is insane. I don't care how many apps that can hold. I have 3gb of music alone. Also, i am throwing all of my money into the note so an sd card isn't an option. I can afford a 2-4gb one, but thats it. and im not going to buy a small one now when i can wait a little while and buy a 32gb one. This is a complete turnoff. If only they didn't pack so many other awesome features or i might not have gotten this.

techoin

Oct 1, 2011
Video intensive apps are definitely worse on this device than the international. Some video is so choppy. Loading Google earth is nearly twice as fast on the international. I'm very disappointed by the poor graphics performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

this makes me think should I sell my AT&T version and get international version..I am yet to open mine..and dont stay in LTE coverage area

mikegehl

Dec 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
:eek::confused::(:mad:2GB???????:mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:

You do understand why the 2gb can aggravate people. I get mad at apple because on my (soon to be gone) iPhone, the storage is 28gb instead of 32gb. That's 80% of the advertised storage. Now, for the note, 2gb is only 12%. That is insane. I don't care how many apps that can hold. I have 3gb of music alone. Also, i am throwing all of my money into the note so an sd card isn't an option. I can afford a 2-4gb one, but thats it. and im not going to buy a small one now when i can wait a little while and buy a 32gb one. This is a complete turnoff. If only they didn't pack so many other awesome features or i might not have gotten this.

Take a couple breaths.

Android has a couple GB system storage into which you can install apps. Then there's another 14 GB or so internal memory for app data and media. None of that includes an external microsd card.

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas

You do understand why the 2gb can aggravate people. I get mad at apple because on my (soon to be gone) iPhone, the storage is 28gb instead of 32gb. That's 80% of the advertised storage. Now, for the note, 2gb is only 12%. That is insane. I don't care how many apps that can hold. I have 3gb of music alone. Also, i am throwing all of my money into the note so an sd card isn't an option. I can afford a 2-4gb one, but that's it. and im not going to buy a small one now when i can wait a little while and buy a 32gb one. This is a complete turnoff. If only they didn't pack so many other awesome features or i might not have gotten this.

Ok since you came from a iphone I will try to help. The GNote has 16GB of internal memory. Roughly 2 GB of that is dedicated for apps if you need it. The other is 14GB is for internal storage similar to the iphone. Once formatted and all it is less than 14 but it is clearly a lot of space.

2 GB is a ton of space for apps. I probably have 60 or so apps on my GNote and it is about 500MB of my 2 GB used up or about 25%. I have almost nothing in my other phone memory because I have all of my music, pictures etc on a 16GB micro SD card. (just bought a 32GB for when I will need it). You can also move many apps to an SD card if you every have the need. I have not had to do that since I only use 25% of my dedicated app space.

You do not need to have an micro SD card, you can save everything to your internal USB storage. You can set your camera to save pictures, video to either phone memory or SD card.

I do not want you to be upset and think you need to buy a micro SD card right now because you do not. You have plenty of space on your phone for all of your music and apps! If you every decide to buy a micro SD card you can buy any size up to 64GB and it will expand your GNote's memory by that much above the 16GB internal that the phone already has.

Have fun with your GNote!

Last edited:

Orange_furball

Feb 3, 2012
Scranton
Ok since you came from a iphone I will try to help. The GNote has 16GB of internal memory. Roughly 2 GB of that is dedicated for apps if you need it. The other is 14GB is for internal storage similar to the iphone. Once formatted and all it is less than 14 but it is clearly a lot of space.

2 GB is a ton of space for apps. I probably have 60 or so apps on my GNote and it is about 500MB of my 2 GB used up or about 25%. I have almost nothing in my other phone memory because I have all of my music, pictures etc on a 16GB micro SD card. (just bought a 32GB for when I will need it). You can also move many apps to an SD card if you every have the need. I have not had to do that since I only use 25% of my dedicated app space.

You do not need to have an micro SD card, you can save everything to your internal USB storage. You can set your camera to save pictures, video to either phone memory or SD card.

I do not want you to be upset and think you need to buy a micro SD card right now because you do not. You have plenty of space on your phone for all of your music and apps! If you every decide to buy a micro SD card you can buy any size up to 64GB and it will expand your GNote's memory by that much above the 16GB internal that the phone already has.

Have fun with your GNote!

ohh ok that makes sense. My only experience with android was my Aria for about 2 weeks. Didn't have much of anything on there.

And 64gb? wow! that's a huge amount of space. ill have to look into that for the future. Thanks!

Dkmack

Jan 5, 2010
Fredericksburg Va
Can you say just released you cant have your cake and eat it to - intern version or us - even Intern version had some updates to get things smooth - which is why I waited for all releases to make a decision - but lte speed still makes me want US version regardless.

Nothing like 1st day haters :p with stuff reviewers haven't even mentioned and apple fanboys can leave now and go back into your corner and cry because the note still kills the iphone.

OMG buy a frickin card I mean really how much music are you really gonna listen to or apps do you need and call it a day or use your damn computer - its a phone not a replacement to your life :) I'm sure when roms get released or updates get released for the att version things will get better and if they don't - just call yourself a guinea pig / early adopter for the rest of us, and we thank you for helping the rest of us who had the mind to wait and see how things went :) before making a decision.

Am I ranting - lol

Last edited:

jessejames111981

Jan 29, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

the system needs its own app storage and 2gb is a lot. and you have the option to put it on your internal storage which isn't even needed but its there

and your iphone advertises and does provide 32gb nothing ever said you have access to all that. My external HD advertised at 3TB but i have access to 2.72gb. the storage needs that 280gb to itself to store information to help it communicate properly and efficiently. and the % is closer to 90% of advertised storage is yours

NR017

Feb 17, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I'm a little disappointed with the device. I've been messing with it to make sure its not me but for f sake. They destroyed this phone. It shows major lags and scrolling is not as smooth.

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
I am coming from a Captivate, and didn't have an international Note, but this phone is smoking fast to me. A little scroll lag?? You really don't think the xda gurus will fix that and more in no time?? Enough with the *****ing :)

Reactions: HarmonyFlame

teiglin

Jul 7, 2011
the system needs its own app storage and 2gb is a lot. and you have the option to put it on your internal storage which isn't even needed but its there

and your iphone advertises and does provide 32gb nothing ever said you have access to all that. My external HD advertised at 3TB but i have access to 2.72gb. the storage needs that 280gb to itself to store information to help it communicate properly and efficiently. and the % is closer to 90% of advertised storage is yours

You're conflating a couple of issues here. When you're talking about your 3TB hard drive, the issue is that it is three trillion bytes, or 3TB. To be precise, your computer reports its size in "binary" or multiples of 1024 bytes, so one TiB (binary terabyte or tebibyte) is actually 1099511627776 (2^40) bytes, and one GiB (binary gigabyte or gibibyte) is actually 1073741824 (2^30) bytes. Where it gets confusing is that if you open up Windows Explorer or whatever and ask it for your drive capacity, it is reporting to you that you have 2.728 TiB of space, but it incorrectly displays that as 2.728 TB. You have the same issue with SD cards: my 32GB SD card shows in my android system properties as 29.81GB, but what it means is 29.81GiB.

The second issue is that your Note has 16GB of storage (probably NOT GiB). Of that, some 2GB is partitioned for the system and another 2GB is set aside for apps/data, leaving you with about 12GB of space in /sdcard for whatever you want. The iPhone has this issue too.

As other people have said, 2GB is an absurdly large app partition. I can't imagine filling that up. And as for the 12GB user-accessible data, if you were really expecting 16GB and that is a problem for you, then go buy a 64GB microSDXC card or a stack of 32GB microSDHC cards and be glad you didn't pay $200 for 48GB of storage like you would have with an iPhone. :)

Edit: I feel like I should weigh in on the processor issue too. I haven't felt that the Crapdragon has been a huge bottleneck for my phone. It's nowhere near as smooth as my Exynos GS2, but the latter is rooted and running a custom kernel with tweaked settings to my liking. I'm sure once people have decent ROMs and kernels running then the Note will be perfectly usable.

fuzzled

Feb 18, 2012
I've received both the international as well as the AT&T version. I will try to swap out the screens tomorrow as I prefer the 4 buttons on the US version over the single button on the international GN. AT&T does not provide LTE in Denver and has no plans for roll-out anytime soon, hence the main reason to keep the AT&T version is invalid for me.

That being said here are some benchmarks I've ran on both devices. You can see that on Quadrant that the International Galaxy Note (IGN) is better in all criteria except for CPU, given the qualcomm is clocked at a higher speed in the US version.

I used NenaMark2 for graphics rendering and the IGN still comes out on top.

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask. The IGN does feel slightly snappier than the AT&T version. However I am not sure if that is due to innate software differences or hardware, even though Engadget did say the IGN is the better phone overall.

Attachments

• gni.jpg
    gni.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 439
  • gni2.jpg
    gni2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 406
  • gnusa.jpg
    gnusa.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 384
  • gnusa2.jpg
    gnusa2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

ekerbuddyeker

I've received both the international as well as the AT&T version. I will try to swap out the screens tomorrow as I prefer the 4 buttons on the US version over the single button on the international GN. AT&T does not provide LTE in Denver and has no plans for roll-out anytime soon, hence the main reason to keep the AT&T version is invalid for me.

That being said here are some benchmarks I've ran on both devices. You can see that on Quadrant that the International Galaxy Note (IGN) is better in all criteria except for CPU, given the qualcomm is clocked at a higher speed in the US version.

I used NenaMark2 for graphics rendering and the IGN still comes out on top.

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask. The IGN does feel slightly snappier than the AT&T version. However I am not sure if that is due to innate software differences or hardware, even though Engadget did say the IGN is the better phone overall.

Both of mine cone out slower but I have loaded over 100apps which is a real life scenario for me. Cab you trust out video side by side, something 1080 and tell me if you dlfind the at&t one significantly worse. I want to go forward with the LTE device but not based on the current video perfomance (I watch a lot of video). Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

Buffon00

Feb 17, 2012
I got the att version although I wont get it until next week because I live in Spain. I'm moving back to Miami in a couple of months and taught that maybe the US version would be a better choice due to the fact that I can get it subsidized and its made for that network. My original idea was to unlock it and use it here until I get state side and then use it in the network with LTE. This is where my doubts come in.
1. Miami currently does not have LTE. Is there a place where I can see the scheduled roll out of LTE in the USA?
2. Based on the reviews here, does the IGN work as well with ATT as the i717?
3. Is there any video available to see them both working side by side on ATT network to make my choice? (I can cancel the line and purchase one here ) . Im getting mixed reviews and im wondering how different both phones fair for regular use and of course some video etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Earthdog

Mar 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Lag

I love the device however I must say the Lag compared to my SkyRocket is terrible.

Example:
1. Phone ring swipe to answer 2 second delay to change screen and answer.
2. Press the End button on a call and average is 2-3 seconds to end the call and close the window.
3. Screen rotation is slow again 2 seconds.

Hopefully we will get a root method to freeze all the BS and then it should scream.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i own both and am running side by side comparisons. Antutu score was BETTER on the AT&T note. that surprised me. Quadrant on the AY&T was 1950 but for some reason its still higher than the international. could be that both are loaded with over 100 apps, but that is a real life situation so very relevant.

initial impressions are that the AT&T note is smoother to use! cant explain why. i have them set up identically. its simply more sfluid and responsive. i am also getitng about 35mb in manhattan on LTE.

another BIG difference is the sound. Speaker on the AT&T FAR BETTER than the international. regualr ear is about the same, perhaps a little louder on the at&T. I reckon its because the processor is designed for this network.

anyway I am very happy.
    Here you go folks: a side by side comparison of two Galaxy Notes - International HSPA+ GT-N7000 vs US AT&T 4G LTE I717

http://youtu.be/V6Jnl1xV3i8
    People comparing exynos to snapdragon are getting a bit ridiculous. Its a processor in a phone. It makes almost no difference in day to day practical use unless you take pleasure in jerking off over benchmark apps.

The whole LTE drains battery is stupid too. I'm overclocked to 1.8 Ghz, with LTE on. Guess how long my battery lasts with moderate use? 26 hours with medium to heavy usage. God forbid I use juice defender, underclock, or turn off my live wallpaper.

Hardware home button? Your opinion, can't argue with that. I personally don't want my phone looking like something from Apple.

But hey, can't please everyone, can you?

Sent from my SGH-I717R using xda premium
    Just had a chance to play with the ATT Note.

Lots of bloatware! ATT promotional stuff and apps. Garbage.

One and only major physical difference i saw was the screen border - it is not flat like the International Note (IN), has a bit of a lip.

The ATT Note UI is super fast in stock form, seems a bit faster than my heavily modded IN (root, themed launcher and custom kernel)

It did shine with the network speeds. I'm in NYC and compared two Notes next to each other. My IN got less than 1Mb on HSPA+ and ATT Note got 10+ Mb on 4G LTE.

02/23/12 - UPDATE:

As of this 2/20/12, I have both the International and ATT versions of the Note. I will post a short video review of both tomorrow.

The International is rooted of course, with Rocket Rom v21 and Abyss kernel.
    The ATT version is stock.

Both have same exact set up configurations, Widget locker, Go launcher and pretty much the same number of apps installed.

Some more quick observations after playing with both for a few days:

Pros:
    -LTE speed. It's amazing, compared to HSPA+ or even to WiFi! i get 11-13 Mbps down and 8-10 Mbps up in NYC where my International Note was barely getting 1 Mbps up and .8 down... In NJ i am getting 20Mbps speeds, which is faster than my WiFi at home.
    -ATT version is very smooth. I cannot comment on any lag.
    -Battery life is VERY much comparable! I get about 3 hours of screen on time from both devices. Seems there is a difference of opinions on this one, so lets get more input from "dual" users.
    -The amount of bloatware was slightly exaggerated - there is only a handful of ATT pre-installed apps and i was able to uninstall at least one of them just like a regular user app - no root access needed.

Cons:
    - Lack of Video Editor. I ported the International .apk, but the install could not complete. Could be fixable by a custom rom cook.
    - Lack of FM radio. I ported the International .apk, was able to install and run the app, but there is no sound. This must be the kernel limitation, as the chip should be able to support it. Could be fixed with custom kernel.
    - Lack of screen mode selection - Dynamic, Standard, Movie. (available on International Note) Could probably be solved in a custom rom
    - Some funky performance of the lock screen - does not always appear as expected and i can get right to the home screen.
    - Some funky performance of the wallpaper - come wallpapers dont scroll, others do. Some get grossly zoomed in when installed, others dont.

While the last two points are relatively minor, as they could be attributed to a config issue with the actual software, the first two cons can be deal breaker for some people.

The LTE speed is definitely a huge selling point that can help overlook the cons.

02/24/12 - UPDATE:

Added: a side by side video comparison of two Galaxy Notes - International HSPA+ GT-N7000 vs US AT&T 4G LTE I717:

http://youtu.be/V6Jnl1xV3i8
    As of this 2/20/12, I have both the International and ATT versions of the Note. I will post a short video review of both tomorrow.

The International is rooted of course, with Rocket Rom v21 and Abyss kernel.
    The ATT version is stock.

Both have same exact set up configurations, Widget locker, Go launcher and pretty much the same number of apps installed.

Some more quick observations after playing with both for a few days:

Pros:
    -LTE speed. It's amazing, compared to HSPA+ or even to WiFi! i get 11-13 Mbps down and 8-10 Mbps up in NYC where my International Note was barely getting 1 Mbps up and .8 down... In NJ i am getting 20Mbps speeds, which is faster than my WiFi at home.
    -ATT version is very smooth. I cannot comment on any lag.
    -Battery life is VERY much comparable! I get about 3 hours of screen on time from both devices.
    -The amount of bloatware was slightly exaggerated - there is only a handful of ATT pre-installed apps and i was able to uninstall at least one of them just like a regular user app - no root access needed.

Cons:
    - Lack of Video Editor. I ported the International .apk, but the install could not complete. Could be fixable by a custom rom cook.
    - Lack of FM radio. I ported the International .apk, was able to install and run the app, but there is no sound. This must be the kernel limitation, as the chip should be able to support it. Could be fixed with custom kernel.
    - Some funky performance of the lock screen - does not always appear as expected and i can get right to the home screen.
    - Some funky performance of the wallpaper - come wallpapers dont scroll, others do. Some get grossly zoomed in when installed, others dont.

While the last two points are relatively minor, as they could be attributed to a config issue with the actual software, the first two cons can be deal breaker for some people.

The LTE speed is definitely a huge selling point that can help overlook the cons.

Good stuff. I have both also. I agree with everything you said except the battery life. My IV gets much better battery life which I expected. I am almost concerned about the ATT Gnote. Luckily, I have a Mugen if I need it! :) Since I updated my IV to LB1 this week it is even faster than LA4! Both are stock and set up exactly the same way. I am certain ICS is coming soon to the international! LTE is very fast in Dallas but luckily my home wifi is faster. The most data I have used is 1.8 GB and that was the first month I had LTE back in November. Probably all the speed tests I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App