Port Android L Developer Preview?

Search This thread

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
I figure it's possible, but could I theoretically port the Android L Preview for the Nexus 5 to my HTC M8 Google Play Edition?
The hardware is fairly similar: same amount of RAM, same resolution, pretty much identical CPUs, same Bluetooth number.
I'm aware it was recently ported to the Nexus 4, but the 4 and 5 are both LG devices.
It's summer, so I have plenty of time, and I really want to have KitKat on my M8 XD
I found a couple tutorials for porting ROMs, but they've been between the same manufacturer.
I'm almost wiling to just go buy a Nexus 5, but I much prefer the M8 so I'd like to give this a shot if possible.
Thanks in advance!
*I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in general Android Q&A, so please let me know if this is in the wrong place.

Murrda

Apr 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Posting here is fine.. Also just an FYI you already have "KitKat" on your M8 ;) can it be ported? Anything can be ported with the right knowledg and resources. Similarity between devices is key, manufacturers being different isn't a deal breaker. You basically just need to figure out exactly what makes your device tick. Kernel is probably going to be tricky. If you can get it booted or at least partially booted a good kernel Dev can probably help out to get us a legit M8 Android L AOSP kernel and then from there the rest can be worked out ie: drivers and such for graphics, ril should be easy, WiFi will probably suck and be wonky... It can be done but will probably be a bunch of time and hackery lol... PM me... Maybe will get something going together! I have quiet a bit of Android knowledge when it comes to porting stuff... Hit me up

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
I figure it's possible, but could I theoretically port the Android L Preview for the Nexus 5 to my HTC M8 Google Play Edition?
The hardware is fairly similar: same amount of RAM, same resolution, pretty much identical CPUs, same Bluetooth number.
I'm aware it was recently ported to the Nexus 4, but the 4 and 5 are both LG devices.
It's summer, so I have plenty of time, and I really want to have KitKat on my M8 XD
I found a couple tutorials for porting ROMs, but they've been between the same manufacturer.
I'm almost wiling to just go buy a Nexus 5, but I much prefer the M8 so I'd like to give this a shot if possible.
Thanks in advance!
*I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in general Android Q&A, so please let me know if this is in the wrong place.

Good luck. The experts with cm11 can't even get their roms working perfect. They still have quite a few bugs. It is up to you, but I feel spending a bunch of time on a preview is not a good usage of time. I have a nexus 5 also, and trust me, L is nothing really special. They have GPE roms that have almost all the L features already available for an m8.