DI18 update for Stock Roms Only

• Thread starter Deleted member 2173701
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 2173701

Firon was nice enough to make sweet sweet magic. if im right, this will let you update to DI18 if you are on a custom rom/kernel and it will "do the deed" for you.
Here's a signed update that will not trash your recovery, kernel, or root. You do not need a stock kernel for this update.
It will restore only the required stock files/apps and update your modem, so as long as you're on DI07, it should successfully update.

I tested it already on my own phone, worked great.

This way you don't need to restore a bunch of random files to update.
His thread can be found here

Only use the attached .zip if you are fully stock!

so i pulled a copy of the DI07 to DI18 update off of my cache partition. anybody want it to mess with?

*edit*
no changes have been made to it. ill let someone else which more adept skills do what they do best. I simply just got the notification, grabbed it from cache and threw it up here.

*edit2*
gotta be 100% stock (minus clockwork)

simple fix? Flash This before you flash the update.

Attachments

• update-SPH-D700_DI07ToDI18.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 3,300
Last edited by a moderator:

othan1

Jun 4, 2010
San Diego
Thanks. Installed just fine.

In regards to the upload speed fix alone (not tested much else yet):

DL UL
65 101
294 241
63 162
95 197

Well...those numbers suck but it does prove that the UL is no longer stopping below 170 UL (my highest ever). Will test later, too.

I went outside and ran it a couple more times and it's looking good.

DL 474, 959 UL 322, 241

Last edited:

apfrost

Aug 17, 2007
Thanks, installed fine for me. Upload is still ify.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

optmsprim2

Sep 30, 2010
Bettendorf
First off this is my first android phone and this is one heckuva community :) ! Still hadn't gotten any OTA update so I installed with this one. Installed perfectly with clockworkmod, speedtested on two different servers and it seems to have fixed the problem! Sending that screenshot to my e-mail was also much less painful :D Thanks newkidd!

Attachments

• snap20101001_122111.jpg
    snap20101001_122111.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2173701

Do i have to install all my stuff again to install this? And is this the real update?

i guess i should have said, this is the OTA update. no changes have been made to it. ill let someone else which more adept skills do what they do best. I simply just got the notification, grabbed it from cache and threw it up here. just trying to do my part :)

rmartinez2

Oct 18, 2008
Do i have to install all my stuff again to install this? And is this the real update?

Yeah ull need to have the stock apps and odex files or wait for someone to take this and make ita zip file we can just flash through clocworkmod. I tried it and it aborted after it didn't find some odex file ...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

spitefulrain

Sep 29, 2010
Indianapolis
Does this effect root or cwm? I'm unrooted at the moment because i only use root to remove apps, which would have pointless because i wanted this.

nimaim

Aug 28, 2010
Guys, please report battery life with this update in the next few days. I know DI07 greatly reduced it (due to that DRM service it seems), but I'm hoping this one is better.

othan1

Jun 4, 2010
San Diego
Does this effect root or cwm? I'm unrooted at the moment because i only use root to remove apps, which would have pointless because i wanted this.

My root was kept through the update. I was running on stock with just joey's root fix and it is still rooted after the update.

I haven't rebooted, but I suspect I may have to reinstall recovery, though, because when I looked in the update.zip, they had the recovery-install in there again. Not confirmed, though.

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
The update came in OTA for me about 10 minutes ago. I went ahead and applied it, and with about 5-10% left on the status bar at the bottom (during the Updating modem phase) it seems to have hung. Most of the 10 minutes has been stuck in that spot. I'm afraid to pull the battery and brick it, but on the flip side it's doing me no good if it's just sitting here like this permanently, either. Anyone else see anything similar?

And I am currently running completely stock and NOT rooted, so I should be the perfect target candidate for the update. Haven't had the time or need yet to make those changes.

infamousjax

Mar 29, 2010
Atlanta
Worked beautifully. Make sure you flash back to stock DI07. This will delete your clockwork recovery, but not your root script.

wto605

Aug 24, 2008
Chicago
It works

Installed using stock recovery (i.e. signature verification works).

I used noobnl's zip dump of DI07 to restore files I had removed/replaced.

I applied this update without removing root and had root after updating. (Verified with titanium as well as terminal emulator by running commands $su, # remount rw /system) note that I had replaced the oneclick busybox with titanium's download to keep it happy.
Note: I had rooted at DI07 since I used ODIN at this point in the past, so I was using a newer version of the one-click root.

3G speed test results:
Ping (ms)/Down (kbps)/Up (kbps)/Location
207/261/541/At my cubicle (top floor, but 500ft away from the nearest exterior wall/window)
325/307/547/In a breezeway (also top floor, exterior windows on both sides)

EDIT:
172/675/699/Courtyard ~100 feet from nearest building under a tree.

Still looking like upload is faster than download in my area... but it's definitely fixed.

Also: here's my tethered results (from my cube)
speedtest.PNG

Last edited:

Mama Luigi

Aug 4, 2010
It doesn't affect root - I was rooted before and I still am. First thing I did once the update installed was remove junk apps after having to put them back for the update to work.

Recovery seems to be gone, though. I installed it through clockwork but I just tried booting into recovery again and it brought me to the stock recovery. So it seems you'll have to reinstall clockwork if you apply the update.

Speed test results are atrocious, but that's the norm in the middle of the day near my office. This morning I had 725/146, but I've run three tests since then, all AFTER applying the DI18 update:

82/10
283/16
221/29

Yes, 82/10. You read that right. That is what 3G is like where I am sitting right now. But I have 4G here so it doesn't matter. And 3G seems to be a little better in other places. I will test again in a different area and see if this improves uploads.

Last edited:

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
I take it from all of these positive responses that nobody else experienced it hanging near the end of the flash process?

Anyone with experience have any recommendations on what I do?

FrumRoll

Dec 20, 2009
I just tried to flash this using clockwork, didn't like that I have the Galaxy MobileAP installed and not the Sprint one and aborted. Will have to wait until somebody else releases a version that will work anyways.

I take it from all of these positive responses that nobody else experienced it hanging near the end of the flash process?

Anyone with experience have any recommendations on what I do?

Pull the battery and flash to stock using odin would be one option.

wto605

Aug 24, 2008
Chicago
I just tried to flash this using clockwork, didn't like that I have the Galaxy MobileAP installed and not the Sprint one and aborted. Will have to wait until somebody else releases a version that will work anyways.

EDIT: see Firon's post on page 6 (#53) it will restore any modifications you've made (including MobileAP) as long as you have a stock (odexed) DI07 ROM, it won't even mess up recovery or kernel!

Last edited: