[S-OFF]Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I just took delivery on a Singapore handset.

It has:
S-ON
CID: HTC_044
HBOOT 0.32
ROM: 1.19.707.1

I haven't seen anyone else post with anything older than HBOOT 0.93 so is this of any use?

happy to do dumps if someone can tell me what's required.

It can't find any OTA updates when I search so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Downloading the 1.28.707 OTA update now to try and flash that. So let me know if you need a dump first.

Last edited:

ytwytw

Nov 15, 2008
Toronto, ON
I just took delivery on a Singapore handset.

It has:
S-ON
CID: HTC_044
HBOOT 0.32
ROM: 1.19.707.1

I haven't seen anyone else post with anything older than HBOOT 0.93 so is this of any use?

happy to do dumps if someone can tell me what's required.

It can't find any OTA updates when I search so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Downloading the 1.28.707 OTA update now to try and flash that. So let me know if you need a dump first.

not 100% sure but I think dumping need S-Off first..

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Here's a photo of the bootloader

Attachments

• hboot.jpg
    hboot.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 633

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
Just asked my local repair joint (htc authorised for wty repair, but not actually part of htc) and no luck on diag/whitecard stuff :( He did know what I was talking about but nothing he could help with.

We kind of semi-know each other (walk past each other most days, so a nodding acquaintance at least) so I believe he prob would have helped if able.

M.

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
Inside the OTA update zip file is the folder update.zip and inside that is the HBOOT.img file. I opened that file in note pad and then copied the non envied text in to word. I was basically checking the earlier post about searching for "LOCKED". when i start reading the code script it seems to me that it can give us some clues to the security checking processes.

Sent witH desire from OneX

For the future you can accomplish this task automatically by running "strings" on a binary, so, "strings HBOOT.img" would return all those things you copied and pasted from the file. :) (strings is available on most modern linux distributions)

angusc

May 12, 2006
Beijing
For the future you can accomplish this task automatically by running "strings" on a binary, so, "strings HBOOT.img" would return all those things you copied and pasted from the file. :) (strings is available on most modern linux distributions)

I run windows.... :p

Sent witH desire from OneX

Micropot

Jul 13, 2011
Dont know if someone mentioned that before. Yesterday my one x shutted down because of low battery. I started it again with long pressing the power button and the soft buttons on the bottom of the screen started to blink and they haven't stopped blinking until I pressed the power button again. Don't know how long I pressed the the power button. But I think it was about 5-8 seconds. Maybe that could be an entry point for nvflash or something like that.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
If you hold the power button for 8-10 seconds, they blink and then the phone restarts. Pretty normal.

f4flake

Jan 6, 2009
HAHAHA BUSTEDDDD.

Softkeys ain't working in HBOOT.

Busted for what?

If you long press the power button the soft keys start flashing just before boot.

If you keep holding the power button they flash some more and the phone reboots.

What's the "busted" ****e about?

vincenzo697

Sep 1, 2010
kozani
HTC One X
HTC One (m7)
- To lift the network lock SIM LOCK] - Unlock Bootloader (only unlock Bootloader you can brush a third-party ROM) - ROM SuperCID (CID region lock, if not SuperCID only brush in this area, such as mobile phones sold in South Korea can not brush Hong Kong's ROM, but SuperCID brush in any given ROM) HTC the CID table - user lock (Bootloader can restore factory settings) - mode lock (you can restore the factory settings Bootloader) - Clear cell phone use (empty talk time Empty your phone data)

About the SOFF the types use a white card to unlock access to SOFF, which means lift the network lock, user lock and write SuperCID!! It is the only fully unlocked models from the Desire after HTC started to lock NAND flash memory module ( NAND or eMMC) [lock for secureflag], only brushes into HTC signature file package, of course, this signature only HTC know, similar to Saipan visa this lock flag control (@ secuflag) this mode the device appears as the S-ON if the equipment Hboot [Bootloader] Security Off (the S-OFF) will skip checking the signature, then we can be in the past written to the file to flash memory partition, this is why we want to extract the SOFF the reason a.

There are two types of S-OFF. Both Bootloader (HBoot An) and Radio SOFF to. Only made the Bootloader S-Off, we can proceed, but to unlock Bootloader does not Radio, SOFF to [@ secuflag] how to identify Bootloader Unlock Radio, SOFF to white card OFF will be able to get Radio, SOFF to. Once HBoot are displayed the S-OFF, we can write data to any partition of the phone, this is just the first step when you can brush Radio also the time that your phone has been completely SOFF the Radio SOFF to, the S-OFF will close secureflag @ secuflag in order to prove that you have made all partitions of the operating authority, like the HTC official unlock the reason can not brush Radio, HTC only unlocked the Bootloader, and did not give us Radio, SOFF to Xie OFF, you can use any ROM and the operator's SIM card (such as Super CID), the ROOT will be permanently stationed at the same time because they have to unlock all partitions retention system is permanently root must SOFF permissions Once you have the radio the S-OFF, you can brush any ROM:) Of course, Radio, SOFF to is not necessarily necessary, but most people want to unlock his cell phone, Radio, S-Off can do is unlock your phone, you can fully unlock any upgrade or downgrade your Hboot and Radio,

Described below under the HTC official unlock a brief under official unlock HTC official unlock unlocked Bootloader so that you can brush a third-party ROM, you can not go to brush Radio and Hboot, and other parts of the ROM is Although we have official unlock, but still think the reason of SOFF

SOFF and the official unlock several combinations introduced

*** LOCKED *** Holiday PVT SHIP S-ON RL HBOOT-1.35.0001 eMMC-BOOT Dec 13 2011,01:43:33 this mode does not unlock mode, in addition to any brush brush sales to official package machine approach

*** UNLOCKED *** Holiday PVT SHIP S-ON RL HBOOT-1.35.0001 eMMC-BOOT Dec 13 2011,01:43:33 this model is the official unlock, third-party home-made ROM, you can brush after brush Recovery, can not Brush the official system

*** LOCKED *** Holiday PVT SHIP S-OFF RL HBOOT-1.35.0001 eMMC-BOOT Dec 13 2011,01:43:33 this model for the white card to unlock, you can brush the Recovery, the official package [ignoring the region. ignore the version], Radio, and Hboot

*** UNOCKED *** Holiday PVT SHIP S-OFF RL HBOOT-1.35.0001 eMMC-BOOT Dec 13 2011,01:43:33 this model felt a little redundant, but some people will do, a list of what, this modes and SOFF not a difference, because the SOFF the permissions is much larger than UNLOCKED!

A: OFF, with the official upgrade has nothing to do the following to answer the questions what part of the solution OFF 1, OFF solution whether the official upgrade, official OTA upgrade, the only check system files, system files are missing, is not an OTA, even if prompted you to upgrade, download enter the Recovery will be error, because the official update in the official system, if you want the official upgrade, brush RUU check the OTA can upgrade after the ROOT streamline operations.

2, the solution OFF brick Hazard: Brush there is risk, but the risk is very small, the HTC mobile phones bought basic will ask the seller a good solution SOFF to like the G11, G10, these machines, buy The first step are basically SOFF to Brush.

Want online: (9:00 to 19:00) (20; 00 to 1:00) store phone: 02161427301 Contact: Mr Ng Customer Service: 13,012,822,158 QQ online Contact: 303 741 451 QQ online sales contact: 328 556 096 Customer Service MSN Contact : nome_hwein155@msn.com Store Address: Shanghai Everbright City 188 Tian Mu West Road Commercial Building 95 Room, 6th Floor, (working hours: 9:30 to 19:00)
Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Read post #2 before posting!!

So Football and me are busy with trying to get S-OFF for this Badboy, but it seems to be a hard job. Please be patient!
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about content included in this thread
     * read before doing anything! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, We will laugh at you.
     */

13-04-2012 XDA.CN releases pictures showing someone succesfully has S-OFF'd his device. Tool is for sale here: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10824156715
    17-04-2012 Thread made.
    17-04-2012 We have found someone with a S-OFF device, and a newer HBOOT than the one from XDA.CN. Trying to get access to the HBOOT.
    18-04-2012 OTA 1.28 brings HBOOT 0.94.
    18-04-2012 New member with a S-OFF device is willing to help.
    s-off-hboot_HOX.JPG

19-04-2012 HBOOT 0.43 S-OFF rfs.img received and uploaded.
    19-04-2012 RFS.img is not the correct file, searching continues...
    19-04-2012 Radio located, click here
    26-04-2012 HBOOT probably located here
    15-05-2012 NVFlash app + APX Drivers added
    12-06-2012 Tegra 3 Manual added, see here!
    16-06-2012 HBOOT 1.11 from the test-keys uploaded here!
    16-06-2012 Huge development, read more about it!
    18-06-2012 Need to find a way to by-pass CID check.
    19-06-2012 Football Partition list for One X with all addresses and lengths of partitions which can be found here.
    27-06-2012 Huhge thread clean-up and update.
    04-07-2012 Had the chance to play with a S-OFF device, read more about it here! ENG HBOOT which is used in test, is located here.
    09-07-2012 Javacard with DIAG will work, but won't be a good solution cause no one got a legit Javacard and the DIAG files can't be leaked!
    14-07-2012 Video added which shows the Javacard with DIAG method. Video can be found here.
    14-07-2012 The ENG HBOOT 0.03 that Football uploaded lost it's sign. I re-uploaded it and re-checked the file and it should be good now. You can find the new .zip here.

HBOOT versions
    Past: 0.03, 0.04, 0.32, 0.43, 0.94, 0.95, 0.96, 1.01
    Current: 1.11

More to come, please stop PM'ing me!

My story

Kantoor.jpg

The guys of Tweakers.net invited my to there office the play with there Engineering HTC One X device which they got by HTC Netherlands. It is so good to see a huge tech website like Tweakers.net trying to help the community getting S-OFF. Tweakers.net wants to write a review about the new ROM and by this way they could write a official review about the 2.x based ROM of the HTC One X. They want to help the community and the community will help them back ;)

205.JPG

Beginning situation:
    Device was running the 1.29.401.11 SHIP ROM with the 1.1204.105.14 RADIO.
    It is a engineering device, in the bootloader it said XE and RH instead of the PVT and RL.
    HBOOT located was version number 0.95, May 8th. CID of device is: HTC__E11.
    The device has a option for RAM Dump, but when I tried to dump the RAM, the phone would just reboot.
    Did not check SD if something was dumped or not.

First attempt:
    Tried the flash a ENG HBOOT and tried running the DIAG with USB OTG but it failed. The cable did not work because it did not have a extra power supply (no Y USB).
    So basically I gave up. I promised Tweakers.net to flash the 2.05.401.2 TEST ROM (Which comes with a SHIP HBOOT) in return for me to play with his device.

Test-Device.JPG

2.05:
    I flashed the 2.05.401.2 ROM with the 2.1204.119.17 RADIO. I flashed the RUU using my MacBook Pro (Virtual Windows 7). That one succeeded and the reviewer did couple of benchmarks. On normal benchmarks it did not have massive improvements, but the browser benchmark went through the roof. HBOOT is now 1.11, May 25th. Suddenly I came with the idea to flash RUU again but change the rom.zip just like I did on past HTC Android phones.

PJ46IMG.JPG

Second attempt:
    I ran the RUU and replaced the rom.zip with PJ46IMG.zip (which includes ENG HBOOT 0.03.200, Jan 20th). The RUU tool recognized it as version 0.87.401.0 and I was able to flash it. Flashing went OK. HBOOT is DOWNGRADED!! But the OS would not boot :(

205-flash.JPG

Bricked:
    The downgrading of the HBOOT did succeed and the phone is now XE ENG S-OFF but the OS wont boot.
    The bootloader gave SECURITY WARNING. Recovery, Factory reset, clearing cache did not boot or work… So I was in deep ****, don't want to leave him with a bricked device.
    The phone did recognize everything, so I knew the phone was not fully bricked.
    Tried flashing the 2.05 TEST ROM but it would gave me Model error. Flashing the 1.29 SHIP ROM gave me Image error.
    So still only access to HBOOT and nothing else.

096-hboot.JPG
    096.JPG

Experience:
    I remembered from the HTC Leo (HD2) and ACE (Desire HD) that the early ENG/MFG/DEV HBOOT's only worked with 0.x based ROMS.
    I did not have the 0.87.401.0 ROM but I did have 0.96.401.2 TEST ROM (Which weird enough has a SHIP HBOOT).
    I tried installing the 0.96.401.2 TEST ROM. It did first flash HBOOT 0.04, Feb 4th reboot and then it started to flash the ROM again. Flashing the ROM almost succeeded but got aborted/failed installing something regarding NFC.

205-2.JPG

So bricked again:
    Because of the 0.96.401.2 TEST ROM failing on NFC, the phone did not boot but was in RUU mode. I knew because of the phone being in the RUU mode I was still able to flash it. I ran the 2.05.401.2 TEST ROM and it flashed successfully (Funny enough on this ROM there was nothing regarding NFC which needed to be flashed) and the phone booted. Thank god everything was fine again!! Funny thing is that on all the firmwares (TEST/MFG/ENG/SHIP), the OS did recognize it as a engineering device. So I guess that it is hard-coded or whatsoever in the NAND of the phone.

What about the DIAG:
    Tried running the DIAG file in the same way I got the HBOOT to flash using the RUU. But it failed because it was not a flashable file. Suddenly I got the phone to read the DIAG file through the root of my MacBook PRO. The file did pass the CID check but then it got cancelled because of the needed for a SmartSD (same as Smartcard/Javacard). So I couldn't do ****. But the DIAG was legit and has version number 0.06.

So what have we learned:
    HTC One X (ENDEAVOR) was originally the EDGE, the first renders were real and legit. The software was designed for that device but got a final as ENDEAVOR. The ENG HBOOT located in the PJ46IMG.zip is the ENG HBOOT that made the software to work on the ENDEAVOR. The SHIP HBOOT 0.04 was the first legit SHIP HBOOT for the device.

The HBOOT is downgradable using the .zip but the OS won't work. The good thing is that the ENG HBOOT located in PJ46IMG.zip will work on none SuperCID devices. The file is not restricted to SuperCID just like the PJ46DIAG.zip. BUT… you can't flash the 0.96.401.2 TEST ROM because it is unsigned and replaces your HBOOT to a SHIP HBOOT. Theoretically you would be able to flash a SHIP ROM after the ENG HBOOT 0.03 is upgraded to SHIP HBOOT 0.04 with the 0.96.401.2 TEST ROM. So this gives us a ENG HBOOT which maybe allows us to perm remove secuflag or erase the locking state, so the device goes back to LOCKED using command which are allowed on ENG HBOOT.

The DIAG file is basically a dead-end without having a SmartSD (Smartcard/Javacard).

The 2,5 hour meeting brought blood/sweat/tears/happiness. Only thing now left is for someone to be brave enough to Flash the PJ46IMG.zip (which includes ENG HBOOT 0.03.200, Jan 20th) try commands and then get his/her phone back to life using the 0.96.401.2 TEST ROM. CIDs that will be able to flash the PJ46IMG.zip are: HTC__001, HTC__E11, HTC__203, HTC__Y13, HTC__102, HTC__405, HTC__304, HTC__032, HTC__J15, HTC__A07, HTC__016

It was a 2hour trip to get there and another 2hour trip to go back home. Remember this is a hobby of mine, so please stop asking ETA's, other files or what so ever. Want to show some love? Donate to me and/or Football
    Ok you guys little summary for today.

Today a XDA Veteran joined the development team! I welcome Football. We did several test and tried to flash couple of stuff.

1. APX Mode, My device came in APX mode today, but because of lack of drivers I failed to send any commands or what so ever. Howto: Shutdown phone (Disable fast boot), Press volume down, keep it pressed, plugin USB cable to device (while it is connected t your laptop/desktop), wait till you here the sound of new hardware found, release the volume button. You device is in APX mode. Well I think it is APX mode, because my device did not recognize it but did say new hardware.

2. Flashing through HBOOT. We did couple of check with filename PJ46IMG.zip. We managed to get the boot loader to read the files, some files did flash and other stopped at security check. We tried a modified diag file, we succeeded to let it load, but got canceled on CID check. So we now have found a way to flash to the boot loader but need something to bypass the security check. If we bypass the security check, the modified diag file will be able to load, and we be able to reset security. What gives us S-OFF and LOCKED again!
    Proof is in the attachment.

3. Downgrading did work, but not possible because of version check. When S-OFF you will be able to downgrade.

Setup:
    You need to relock boot loader and be on stock rom again, or else it won't work.
    Phone, Y Cable, Cardreader, Microsdcard, PJ46IMG.zip

Will add a huge summary on post #1 after we finish dinner.

Closed until xmoo wants to re open
    FAQ.
    What is S-OFF?
    S-OFF stands for Security-OFF
    S-OFF means that the NAND portion of the device is unlocked and can be written to. The default setting for HTC’s devices is S-ON, which means that neither can you access certain areas of the system nor can you guarantee a permanent root. Furthermore, signature check for firmware images is also ensured by the S-ON flag.

What has already been done?
    -Tried flashing DIAG file, but with no success. File needs SuperCID.
    -Tried flashing ENG HBOOT as zip file, but with no success. File needs SuperCID.
    -Tried flashing modified DIAG file, but with no success. File needs SuperCID.
    -Tried flashing modified HBOOT as zip file, but with no success. Signature check failed.
    -Tried creating a Goldcard, but won't work. The Goldcare is for Qualcomm devices.
    -Root while phone is LOCKED, won't work. Only will work on the Qualcomm One X and One XL.
    -Ask the Chineese guy with the S-OFF tool. Won't share, cause he needs his money.
    -Tried flashing files over recovery, but with no success.
    -Tried flashing TETS and MFG ROMs, but with no success. Phone needs S-OFF because the ROMS are not sighned.
    -Tried changing CID, but won't work. Only will work on the Qualcomm One X and One XL.
    -Tried commands over ADB, but with no success.
    -Tried XTC clip, won't work.

How Do I Know If My Device Is S-ON Or S-OFF?
    That is easy to verify. Simply boot into HBOOT (bootloader) on your device, and the text on top will show the flag status as either S-OFF or S-ON. A full root generally means S-OFF.
    s-off.jpg

S-OFF – What And Why?
    HTC have installed a sort of security check whose level is determined by S-OFF/S-ON. Essentially, this security level is a flag stored on the device’s radio that checks signature images for any firmware before it is allowed to be written to system memory. This hinders using any custom ROMs, splash images, recovery etc., and also restricts access to the NAND flash memory. However, when security level is set to S-OFF, the signature check is bypassed, allowing a user to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images, as well as official firmware that has been modified, this enabling maximum customization of your HTC Android device.

Furthermore, S-OFF also reduces restrictions on accessing the NAND flash memory on the device, allowing all partitions (including /system) to be mounted in write mode while the operating system is booted.

Where is it located?
    Don't know yet, here are the partitions.

How can I flash through SD?
    Tutorial added here!

What HBOOT status have we seen so far?
    ENDEAVORU PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    ENDEAVORU PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
    ENDEAVORU PVT ENG S-OFF RL
    ENDEAVORU XE ENG S-OFF RH
    ENDEAVORU PVT MFG RH
    ENDEAVORU XE SHIP S-OFF RH
    ENDEAVORU UNKNOWN ENG S-OFF RH

Partition list for One X with all addresses and lengths of partitions
    Football share the full list which can be found here.

How does HTC do it?
    They do it with a smartcard/javacard/goldcard (What ever you want to call it) in combination with the DIAG file. Proof is in the attachment.