Safe to Update Netflix App?

Search This thread

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
This was discussed a while back but I don't think it was ever resolved: is it okay to update the netflix app on the nook tablet? The google play store keeps trying to give me an update, but I know that the netflix app on the NT is not the same as the standard netflix app available on the google store. I'm worried that I'll be trading the specialized NT for the stock one, which I don't wanna do.

Anyone updated? Have any thoughts to share?

JRam13

Apr 23, 2012
This was discussed a while back but I don't think it was ever resolved: is it okay to update the netflix app on the nook tablet? The google play store keeps trying to give me an update, but I know that the netflix app on the NT is not the same as the standard netflix app available on the google store. I'm worried that I'll be trading the specialized NT for the stock one, which I don't wanna do.

Anyone updated? Have any thoughts to share?

I just installed CM7 and downloaded the most recent netflix app- works great.

Oh nvm I see what you're saying. I dont know if installing the google play version will replace your stock app, sorry.

Last edited:

PJLLB

Feb 8, 2012
The stock NT Netflix app is not the same one that is in the Goolge Play Store. It is optimzed for the NT hardware and has higher quality performance.

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
Yes, I know. Which is why I'm asking if I should update it. Because google play seems to think it needs to be updated, but I know that the Netflix app on the NT is not the same one you get in the play store. It's somewhat confusing and I'm hoping someone out there has some idea of how to proceed.

djd338

Jan 28, 2011
I am running Team-B CM7 and also running the Play store Netflix update 1.7.1
Everything running great here. If in doubt, backup the app with TiBu then go for it! I have had zero problems though.

Mar 7, 2012
When I had my tablet stock rooted with google play store it kept trying to update netflix, but never suceeded for long. I found the non Barnes and Noble Version looked worse then the B&N version. Not that it didn't run fine, it just didn't seem as smooth most of the time.

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
When I had my tablet stock rooted with google play store it kept trying to update netflix, but never suceeded for long. I found the non Barnes and Noble Version looked worse then the B&N version. Not that it didn't run fine, it just didn't seem as smooth most of the time.
Ditto (both that I think the B&N version was better and that it CONSTANTLY thinks it needs to update). I update from the Google store and would like to go back to the B&N stock version. Anyone know where the stock version can be found?

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Update: I just did a reboot and it seems like I am not back to the stock version. I say that because 1) the updated version allowed for volume to be changed via a slider bat in the upper right had corner while the stock version's volumne is changed with the buttons on the side and 2) I'd swear the video looks better (but it might just be this particular movie?) now that I seem to be running from the stock version.

I believe that applications that reside in /system/app cannot be updated and I think that's where Netflix resides. So possibly what happens when you try to update is that it is temporary and on next reboot it reverts back to the stock version since it is in /system/app?

PJLLB

Feb 8, 2012
Google Play, B&N App Store, and Amazon.com Android App Store will ping pong back and forth when they check installed apps and find one that they think you've gotten from them. Apparently they only check to see if the version number differs, not whether their posted version is more current. I've gotten to ensuring that I only download a given app from one source, and let that source keep it "current."

dermotti

Jul 20, 2010
I am running Team-B CM7 and also running the Play store Netflix update 1.7.1
Everything running great here. If in doubt, backup the app with TiBu then go for it! I have had zero problems though.

Does it play videos in HD? Last tine I tried cm7 it wouldn't. (Bout a month ago)

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2