:: I am an old HTC TyTn [Hermes] user :: Need Advice Please ::

Search This thread

Kevlar-Source

May 22, 2005
Sintra
Dear community members,
I need a piece of advice... I am, now for quite some time, an HTC TyTn [a.k.a Hermes] owner/user.
I am seriously considering buying an HTC Touch Pro [a.k.a Raphael]. But I need some advice…
I will try to ask my questions/concerns in an outline style… Please bare with me and try to help…
¤ Is Raphael’s performance superior or inferior to Hermes?
¤ How does the GPS behave? Is it satisfactory?
¤ Is the ROM development community becoming more active? Will it ever be like the Hermes one?

Thank you.

Cheers.

WDawn

May 5, 2006
Zwevegem
As a Hermes user who has just upgraded to a Raphael, i can tell you this:

- Performance difference is huge. TF3D speed is acceptable out of the box, but with the tweaks offered here on the forum, very fast. But there are loads of other things that make the upgrade worth while: gps, much better sound quality playing music, FM radio, a superb VGA screen, more memory, better surfing experience, youtube client and much more...
- Haven't tested GPS yet
- That is one of the main reason why i upgraded to the Raphael instead of the SE Xperia, because a lot of the Hermes/Tilt cooks are coming over to this forum.

Kevlar-Source

May 22, 2005
Sintra
As a Hermes user who has just upgraded to a Raphael, i can tell you this:

- Performance difference is huge. TF3D speed is acceptable out of the box, but with the tweaks offered here on the forum, very fast. But there are loads of other things that make the upgrade worth while: gps, much better sound quality playing music, FM radio, a superb VGA screen, more memory, better surfing experience, youtube client and much more...
- Haven't tested GPS yet
- That is one of the main reason why i upgraded to the Raphael instead of the SE Xperia, because a lot of the Hermes/Tilt cooks are coming over to this forum.

Thank you for your prompt answer :)
My greatest curiosity was about the overall performance and GPS...
A shame you haven't tried your GPS yet...
Neverhteless, thank you so much.

Cheers and good luck with your new device :)

With a little luck the Raph should be the daddy, will be receiving mine some time over the next week. :D

Yup! I will be getting mine [according to my plans and if no one decides to drop a piano over my head] on the 29th i.e 6 days form now :)
Can't wait... I look like a little kid waiting for christmas eve... LOL

Cheers and good luck for both of us and our brand new devices.

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've tried GPS and it finds satellites quickly way faster than my tytn II but not as fast as i would like. I used Garmin mobile xt and visualgpsce to test it.

I had the hermes and the tytn II and this is by far better than both in finger friendliness and in performance.

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
I've tried GPS and it finds satellites quickly way faster than my tytn II but not as fast as i would like. I used Garmin mobile xt and visualgpsce to test it.

I had the hermes and the tytn II and this is by far better than both in finger friendliness and in performance.

Remember getting a fix for the first session is generally the slowest time, with continued use Ive always noticed GPS fixes are quicker....this is using my Holux BT320 with my Hermes......the built in one in the Hermes naturally shows two satelites erroneously which is a shame :D

(yes i KNOW the GPS doesnt work in the Hermes but it gets a fix on 2 real quick hehehe).

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
I'm also curious about the GPS performance. I currently have a Holux GR-230 GPS receiver connected to my Hermes and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Raphael, as I'd like the GPS internal (and many other features, but GPS primarily).

I'm wondering whether the GPS performance is comparable to an external GPS receiver, or if I would have to weigh a better external GPS receiver against a more convenient internal GPS receiver.

On other threads I've seen many response that GPS is good and fine and all that, but I'm just wondering how it compares to an external one. Hope someone can shed light on this.

MaRaHoX

Feb 3, 2006
Prague
Hermes against Raphael

Hello,

also used Hermes for last 2 years and now upgraded to Raphael. There is no way how to say, how big difference this is... from style design to VGA, speed - everything is uncomparamble with Hermes. I think, there is other HTC killer machine;)

Have Raph for about week and half and tried to test everything.

Desing is awesome. Yesterday I take my Hermes out for cottage (it is my wifi router now) and I was supprised, how ugly this device is against Raph.

Display - awesome, this is cool. Compared with qVGA this is cool. Great is also, that there is no display frame above display, so u can easily touch corners with your fingers. Also better touch support is great.

Speed is great, RAM helps very much.

Everything is great on this device. If Hermes was for you right device, as was for me, u will love Raph.

Kevlar-Source

May 22, 2005
Sintra
Hello,

also used Hermes for last 2 years and now upgraded to Raphael. There is no way how to say, how big difference this is... from style design to VGA, speed - everything is uncomparamble with Hermes. I think, there is other HTC killer machine;)

Have Raph for about week and half and tried to test everything.

Desing is awesome. Yesterday I take my Hermes out for cottage (it is my wifi router now) and I was supprised, how ugly this device is against Raph.

Display - awesome, this is cool. Compared with qVGA this is cool. Great is also, that there is no display frame above display, so u can easily touch corners with your fingers. Also better touch support is great.

Speed is great, RAM helps very much.

Everything is great on this device. If Hermes was for you right device, as was for me, u will love Raph.

Dear MaRaHoX,

Will you start developing ROMs to Raphael as you did to Hermes?

Cheers.