HTC backup vs Google backup

Search This thread

Corduroy-21

Jun 8, 2009
I'm thinking of using the HTC Backup service.
My questions is what features are missing? I know that it doesn't backup photos and videos as these are backup-ed to Dropbox.
Do contacts still sync with the Google account (as Google backup is disabled) and what about the apps? If I restore from HTC do they install automatically?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks

IINexusII

Nov 8, 2010
use google backup. then you can restore to any android device, not just HTC. and yes it does contacts, and apps. its started to do app data too but i've never tested if that works.

ryryzz

Jan 23, 2010
I use htc backup because it saves blinkfeed setting and Im kinda ROMaholic that I flash roms 2-3 times a day so I dont need to set my blinkfeed everytime.
if you wanna switch to other brand, just change backup method in settings and back everything up with google before letting your phone go.

Corduroy-21

Jun 8, 2009
I use htc backup because it saves blinkfeed setting and Im kinda ROMaholic that I flash roms 2-3 times a day so I dont need to set my blinkfeed everytime.
if you wanna switch to other brand, just change backup method in settings and back everything up with google before letting your phone go.

So if something happened to the One you wouldn't be able to use the HTC backup to another phone.

Corduroy-21

Jun 8, 2009
sadly yes but it is my preference so... hope for the best then :)

:laugh:

Are there any settings? Because I don't see any.
I want to try it, but I can't seem to choose what to backup or not.
I see it backup-ed to my Dropbox account but don't know what it did.
For example dictionary etc.

:laugh:

Are there any settings? Because I don't see any.
I want to try it, but I can't seem to choose what to backup or not.
I see it backup-ed to my Dropbox account but don't know what it did.
For example dictionary etc.

Unfortunately there is no real options to tailor your backup. HTC Back up, backups:
Home screen settings: These include your categories and headlines in HTC BlinkFeed, widgets, and Home screen layout.
Accounts and passwords: HTC Backup stores the login credentials for many popular email and social network accounts, including Exchange ActiveSync, Microsoft Hotmail, Flickr, LinkedIn, Evernote, and POP/IMAP.
Apps and settings: These include your web bookmarks, personal dictionary, Wi-Fi networks, TV remotes and viewing preferences, apps you've installed, grid size and sort order in the All apps view, and over 150 other settings.

When it has all been backed up it is encrypted and then sent to your Dropbox folder. What you see in your folder is encrypted files, so there is not much you can do with the files.

Hoped this has helped.

Last edited:

Nerds2You

Apr 10, 2010
Edmonton
I reset my phone today to test the feature and I am very impressed with it. It restored everything perfectly except the grid size of the app drawer, I had to do that myself. All apps, settings, wi-fi networks and passwords, home screens with all shortcuts, widgets and folders that I created, blinkfeed and pretty much everything I normally spend hours re-customizing after a full reset. Text messages did not restore (I didn't think they would) but I had them backed up to my Handcent account. Bluetooth pairings also did not get restored but that's easy and fast.

Overall I am extremely impressed, it made doing a hard reset quite painless compared to what I usually go through.

I believe that the restore should also work on future versions of HTC phones so if you upgrade to a newer HTC you can restore all your apps and settings to the newer HTC device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    use google backup. then you can restore to any android device, not just HTC. and yes it does contacts, and apps. its started to do app data too but i've never tested if that works.