Considering a Z1, some questions

Search This thread

etismyname

Jan 27, 2009
Hey guys,

I am thinking to get a Z1, I am not living in the US (I live in Hong Kong) and here're my options:

- Asia Version (not Japan/Hong Kong/China)

Concern:
The quality (Some says the quality isn't as good)
The firmware upgrade (maybe they will come slower)

- USA version
Concern:
It needs unlocking

Both of which are same price, which is around $150 cheaper than every other version.

So my questions are:
Is unlocking the carrier lock difficult/unsafe?

I don't plan to use it for 4G. Is there anything else I should be aware of when I look to buy a Z1?

thanks for reading anyway, hope to get some answers to help me out :D

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Hey guys,

I am thinking to get a Z1, I am not living in the US (I live in Hong Kong) and here're my options:

- Asia Version (not Japan/Hong Kong/China)

Concern:
The quality (Some says the quality isn't as good)
The firmware upgrade (maybe they will come slower)

Don't buy it.

- USA version
Concern:
It needs unlocking

Buy Unbranded, it not need to be unlocked.

Both of which are same price, which is around $150 cheaper than every other version.

So my questions are:
Is unlocking the carrier lock difficult/unsafe?

I don't plan to use it for 4G. Is there anything else I should be aware of when I look to buy a Z1?

thanks for reading anyway, hope to get some answers to help me out :D

Unlocking is very easy and safe, and will be unlocked permanently.

etismyname

Jan 27, 2009
thanks but I can't find a cheap unbranded Z1, they cost just as much as the Hong Kong version.
I guess US version is the safer option to go then?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
It's worth knowing that until Sony fixes it, there is a problem with the camera breaking when the bootloader is unlocked.

He was saing about Carrer Lock. So I do not mentioned that. They have nothing in common. Unlock Bootloader is necessary only to flash custom roms with custom kernels.That's all.

Last edited:

brapicoco

May 29, 2011
Don't buy Z1 as there are many faulty units out there. It's a hit or miss on a good or sucky unit

88Mike

Dec 3, 2013
Don't buy Z1 as there are many faulty units out there.

What are you talking about? Where? When? Avoid this kind of bad information please, is not good for a life of a forum.
My Z1 is perfect and I have never had a better phone.
Go ahead with it. :good:

Last edited:

brapicoco

May 29, 2011
What are you talking about? Where? When? Avoid this kind of bad information please, is not good for a life of a forum.
My Z1 is perfect and I have never had a better phone.
Go ahead with it. :good:

Seems like you are misinformed about the problems out there. Why dont you try visiting the sony forums and see for yourself.

shteren

Jul 9, 2013
I got mine fromm Singapore, is it Asia version? Dunno anyhow its provlem free except for the touch ossue that everyone have...

Screen is pretty, great blacks, device runs fast and and doesnt over heat. My serial is bh90l... Is that Asia version?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

etismyname

Jan 27, 2009
so i have made my decision to just buy the japanese version.
The screen apparently is more red (he showed me a hk version and a japanese version) which I like a bit more.
It comes with a charging dock and a 32GB internal memory which I like a lot.

Problem:
Updating can get very troublesome, I think I will have to stuck with the not so good firmware (comes with the .534 firmware and not the .213, what's worse is that I don't think i will ever get the .213)

other than that, the phone is perfect, I am still playing around with the camera thoguh

brapicoco

May 29, 2011
I got mine fromm Singapore, is it Asia version? Dunno anyhow its provlem free except for the touch ossue that everyone have...

Screen is pretty, great blacks, device runs fast and and doesnt over heat. My serial is bh90l... Is that Asia version?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

my device is from SG and is suffering from touch screen problem mine BH90B