[Q] boot loop installing paranoid 4.0 beta, can't fastboot

Search This thread

sepha

Jan 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a Nexus 4 and I just managed to get it in a boot loop after trying to install Paranoid Android 4.0 beta (pa_mako-4.0-BETA-20131223.zip).

I saw an update come up in goomanager so I downloaded and tried to install it, but after rebooting and starting the update from recovery mode it failed with the following message:

Code:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /sdcard/paranoidota/pa_mako-4.0-BETA-20131223.zip
(Status 7)
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/paranoidota/pa_mako-4.0-BETA-20131223.zip'
Updating partition details...

After this the phone doesn't boot, it stays with the Google logo for a while, and then automatically reboots and goes to recovery.

I'm not sure what that happened. After researching a bit I found out that I may have had to update the recovery first (I'm using TWRP 2.4.4.0).
Therefore I downloaded the last version and tried to install it, but I've found another problem. When I connect the phone to the computer with a microusb cable, the phone is not recognized at all by the computer. I tried both fastboot (booting the bootloader in the phone) and ADB Sideload from the recovery. I use Ubuntu, and the phone should be listed with the command lsusb, but it's not. It's something similar to the device not coming up in the device manager on Windows. It's not listed when running either adb devices nor fastboot devices. I thought it may be a problem of having disabled USB debugging in the phone, but I read somewhere that fastboot should work nevertheless.

I tried 3 different microusb cables, 3 USB ports, 2 kernel versions in my computer and 2 different computers.

Can anybody give me some hope? :crying: Also ideas on how I may solve the problem would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Anu6is

Jul 31, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have a Nexus 4 and I just managed to get it in a boot loop after trying to install Paranoid Android 4.0 beta (pa_mako-4.0-BETA-20131223.zip).

I saw an update come up in goomanager so I downloaded and tried to install it, but after rebooting and starting the update from recovery mode it failed with the following message:

Code:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /sdcard/paranoidota/pa_mako-4.0-BETA-20131223.zip
(Status 7)
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/paranoidota/pa_mako-4.0-BETA-20131223.zip'
Updating partition details...

After this the phone doesn't boot, it stays with the Google logo for a while, and then automatically reboots and goes to recovery.

I'm not sure what that happened. After researching a bit I found out that I may have had to update the recovery first (I'm using TWRP 2.4.4.0).
Therefore I downloaded the last version and tried to install it, but I've found another problem. When I connect the phone to the computer with a microusb cable, the phone is not recognized at all by the computer. I tried both fastboot (booting the bootloader in the phone) and ADB Sideload from the recovery. I use Ubuntu, and the phone should be listed with the command lsusb, but it's not. It's something similar to the device not coming up in the device manager on Windows. It's not listed when running either adb devices nor fastboot devices. I thought it may be a problem of having disabled USB debugging in the phone, but I read somewhere that fastboot should work nevertheless.

I tried 3 different microusb cables, 3 USB ports, 2 kernel versions in my computer and 2 different computers.

Can anybody give me some hope? :crying: Also ideas on how I may solve the problem would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot.
From what I gather you can get into recovery mode without issue.
Simply restore a backup or try reflashing the previous version of the ROM

sepha

Jan 12, 2014
From what I gather you can get into recovery mode without issue.
Simply restore a backup or try reflashing the previous version of the ROM

Thanks Anu6is for the reply. Yes, recovery mode works, but no backups appear in the "restore" option and I can't find any either if I manually browse the file system at /sdcard. I thought I made one when first installing PA but nothing is there.
Also, no previous versions of the ROM are currently in the file system. I never thought I would need them again so I removed them to free space.

Is there a reason why ADB and fastboot would be inaccessible through USB besides a hardware failure?

Anu6is

Jul 31, 2011
Thanks Anu6is for the reply. Yes, recovery mode works, but no backups appear in the "restore" option and I can't find any either if I manually browse the file system at /sdcard. I thought I made one when first installing PA but nothing is there.
Also, no previous versions of the ROM are currently in the file system. I never thought I would need them again so I removed them to free space.

Is there a reason why ADB and fastboot would be inaccessible through USB besides a hardware failure?
Boot into fastboot instead of recovery and update your recovery via fastboot

Reactions: sepha

sepha

Jan 12, 2014
Your problem is the antiquated recovery. Update your recovery

Thanks Pirateghost and Anu6is for confirming that the problem is an old recovery. Updating the recovery is what I'm trying to do, but as I commented in my first post I can't use fastboot, since even when I'm in the bootloader the phone is not detected by the computer when plugged.

Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks

Anu6is

Jul 31, 2011
Thanks Pirateghost and Anu6is for confirming that the problem is an old recovery. Updating the recovery is what I'm trying to do, but as I commented in my first post I can't use fastboot, since even when I'm in the bootloader the phone is not detected by the computer when plugged.

Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks
When in fastboot mode, try the command

fastboot devices

see if you computer returns anything

sepha

Jan 12, 2014
When in fastboot mode, try the command

fastboot devices

see if you computer returns anything

As I commented in my first post, adb devices and fastboot devices don't return anything. My phone doesn't even appear in the device manager. I tried different cables, different USB ports and different computers.

Anu6is

Jul 31, 2011
As I commented in my first post, adb devices and fastboot devices don't return anything. My phone doesn't even appear in the device manager. I tried different cables, different USB ports and different computers.

Yeah, sorry...that was too much to read, just scanned it.
I don't know...That's always my fallback, not sure why it wouldn't show

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

D_Dio

Jan 12, 2014
So I'm guessing wiping the phone is a no-no for you. Going through basics here.

So you've made sure that the daemon service is running.. .well friend i hope you get throug

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 4033A using xda app-developers app

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Manchester, UK
If you've already got root. Can try recovery tools app to install the new recovery:)

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Manchester, UK
the problem is that I cannot copy a new recovery to the phone's memory, since Android won't boot, and ADB and fastboot won't work, and it doesn't have a microsd slot

My much bad. Hope you get it sorted:)

While iam here thou, have you updated your computers drivers for the n4? Incase that's the reason its not finding your phone.:)
ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

Last edited:

sepha

Jan 12, 2014
Try cleaning your USB port on the phone with some alcohol

Thanks Pirateghost. I tried but it didn't work. I'm more and more convinced there's something wrong with the hardware. Maybe I dropped it one too many times. It was just a strange coincidence and really bad luck that I realized it didn't work just after the problem installing a new ROM.

Anyways, I ordered a replacement for the PCB that holds the microusb connector. Let's hope that works.

sepha

Jan 12, 2014
I solved the problem.

I managed to make the phone appear on the computer. There must be something broken in the microusb port in the phone because sometimes when I connect the phone nothing will appear on dmesg (I use Linux), sometimes I get USB errors and after trying a few times I managed to make it work.

I updated the recovery through fastboot and then I was able to successfully install the new ROM from recovery and now everything works alright.

Once the replacement board I ordered arrives I'll try replacing that and see if that fixes the USB connection problems.

Thanks to everybody who helped.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your problem is the antiquated recovery. Update your recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5

Boot into fastboot instead of recovery and update your recovery via fastboot