[Q] Is it possible to port Digital Noise Cancellation from z2??

Search This thread

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Well, I could try to do this, but I don't have any NC headphones and neither any of my friends and to make it happen I'd need such NC headphones as I already own the Z1. If someone is really desperate to get it done and is willing to send me those headphones or donate me enough to buy them then feel free to do this. If I fail to get it to work then I'll send it back to you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KWOKSFUNG

nlz242

Dec 23, 2012
IIRC, Erica (the technology nerd who likes to film stuff) tried the headphones on other phones and they didn't work at all... i'll try to find the video tonite.

They are special-purpose hardware that is made for this device (Z2), using a different jack... i'm sure one could get some kind of noise-cancellation going on with any headphones that has a mic, but performance will be inferior to a purpose built device.

Again, not saying it's impossible...

KWOKSFUNG

May 15, 2013
Hong Kong
4k, slow motion ? Sony said only z2!
Stereo sound ? Only z2
Call handling? Only z2 :D

I will not be hard suprised if some of the great dev`s around here manage that to work :D (of course i will be happy)
That's true!! I'm suddenly feeling more hopeful bro :)
Well, I could try to do this, but I don't have any NC headphones and neither any of my friends and to make it happen I'd need such NC headphones as I already own the Z1. If someone is really desperate to get it done and is willing to send me those headphones or donate me enough to buy them then feel free to do this. If I fail to get it to work then I'll send it back to you. :)
Sorry bro I cant afford that /_\
Thanks a lot anyway. but is that the only headphone that can do noise cancellation?? I know there's pretty lot of them, just not sure if they run full function on smartphones.
IIRC, Erica (the technology nerd who likes to film stuff) tried the headphones on other phones and they didn't work at all... i'll try to find the video tonite.

They are special-purpose hardware that is made for this device (Z2), using a different jack... i'm sure one could get some kind of noise-cancellation going on with any headphones that has a mic, but performance will be inferior to a purpose built device.

Oh well so the legendary Z2 cant actually perform NC with another NC headphones?
I'm not a pro in audio stuff, but seems I heard that Walkman ZX1 support NC, so there must be a standard for NC headphones afterall??
If we just cant use the Z2 NC headphone, maybe other NC headphones still work??
Well what I worry most is the audio jack again, software can be modified but not practical for hardware /_\

Well I'm pretty such a noob in these things, just thinking about the possibility
I hope a guy with professional audio knowledge can teach me a lesson

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Alright, just checked the pins thing on the z1 vs z2. Bad news.
Z1 pins
for-Sony-Xperia-Z1-L39h-Earphone-Jack-with-Flex-Cable-Phone-Headphone-Jack-Replacement-Parts-Free.jpg

Z2 pins
74201474642PM19482.jpg

As you can clearly see there are less small wires coming out of Jack in the Z1 jack although there are some pins left unconnected. Thus I think that Sony wanted to get this feature in the Z1 and then decided to cut it (thus you can see some small connections not followed by any wire)
I think that it's possible, but it would need hardware morning of the Z1. With that being said you would either need mad soldering skills or custom Built Z1 jack replacement. I bet that some chinks would do that as there's nothing that would limit them, but I don't think that many of us, here, at xda would actually get that replaced.

TL;DR Sony cut the pins on the Z1 jack so noise cancelation is impossible without hardware modifications.

nlz242

Dec 23, 2012
Oh well so the legendary Z2 cant actually perform NC with another NC headphones?
I'm not a pro in audio stuff, but seems I heard that Walkman ZX1 support NC, so there must be a standard for NC headphones afterall??
If we just cant use the Z2 NC headphone, maybe other NC headphones still work??
Well what I worry most is the audio jack again, software can be modified but not practical for hardware /_\

Well I'm pretty such a noob in these things, just thinking about the possibility
I hope a guy with professional audio knowledge can teach me a lesson

Well, noise cancelling itself isn't very complex. Any phone can theorically do it. The part that is complex is having the right hardware for it to work well. Let me give you an extreme example... Say you are using standard earbuds and using the phone's microphone, the phone is away from earbuds themselves, so the sound it picks which would be cancelled is not exactly the sound that has to be cancelled... So even doing everything in software (instead of a DSP), you just can't use that mic and expect good results... it is also why headphones manufacturer can get away with "self contained" package, they have the microphone next to your ear, on the outside, so they know what they have to cancel out and they push that into the signal that goes into the small speakers.

And for this reason, there isn't a standard... headphones manufacturer are perfectly happy with their solution which doesn't involve any modifications to the standard 3 poles jack (4 poles if you add in the "regular" microphone).

Sony have done things the other way around, the NC hardware/software is in the phone and the headphones/earbuds only provide connections to the microphones...

As Olokos demonstrated, we probably even have the hardware (jack) to do it, it's just not wired up ! heh...

Your best bet, if you want Noise cancelling is with self-contained units.

KWOKSFUNG

May 15, 2013
Hong Kong
@olokos , do u think we can just take the jack directly from Z2, will it fit
maybe it doesnt make sense to destroy a Z2, but maybe that jack can be remake for Z1??

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Thanks for the useful info guys
oh well sony limit the potential for Z1, seems to by hardware this time /_\

@olokos , do u think we can just take the jack directly from Z2, will it fit
maybe it doesnt make sense to destroy a Z2, but maybe that jack can be remake for Z1??

If you can make this "hardware" modification, you need software support to work (drivers and etc).

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app
At least this is only a feature, not a real hardware limitation (like putting not that powerful SoC into the xperia play, which is a gaming device and I love it thanks to the XDA community and allowed me to get the knowledge I have now)

You could just buy a replacement Z2 jack, the photo I sent is actually from some online shop, but I really don't believe that it would work as every millimeter counts when it comes down to such packed devices. It's too thick by 5mm? You don't even want to think about putting it into the Z1. It's shape also differs really much from the Z1's thus I don't think that such mod is worth doing.

If you're really desperate to do it then contact someone to make such replacement jack for the Z1 with additional pins connected. You can also try to solder it by yourself, but it would be more like a proof of concept because you wouldn't be able to make small enough solders to fit into the device.

From the software side, it's not a problem at all. If one person wouldn't be experienced enough or for some other reason wouldn't be able to do this, then hey, it's xda. We can ALWAYS team up to get this working. Just like with the 4k & 120fps, that's how we did that. :)

From my point of view it would only need veery minor changes. I think that just adding missing NC lines to the mixer_paths.xml would do the trick.

If any of you guys has a disassembled Z1 or has that Jack part from the Z1 laying around somewhere then please take some high resolution photos of the places where you can see the connections.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsosJL

Mar 22, 2014
Question as @olokos said there are some unpluged ports in the jack . My question is ; The next week Iwill give my phone to an authenticated service center in order to replace my SD port (it's totally broken :p) and he will open my phone obviously :p , so would he be able to wire them if I ask him to do it ? :)

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Question as @olokos said there are some unpluged ports in the jack . My question is ; The next week Iwill give my phone to an authenticated service center in order to replace my SD port (it's totally broken :p) and he will open my phone obviously :p , so would he be able to wire them if I ask him to do it ? :)
I really doubt it, especially in the authorised Sony service. They just replace the parts in there. Asking doesn't cost you anything so it's worth it anyway. xD

But please do insist to take those hi resolution photos (so I could see as much as possible, some mad 50mpx photos are not nessesary, but 500x500 photos won't help). Tell them to take photos of the Jack connections. Don't be afraid to take dozens of photos ?

mitsosJL

Mar 22, 2014
I really doubt it, especially in the authorised Sony service. They just replace the parts in there. Asking doesn't cost you anything so it's worth it anyway. xD

But please do insist to take those hi resolution photos (so I could see as much as possible, some mad 50mpx photos are not nessesary, but 500x500 photos won't help). Tell them to take photos of the Jack connections. Don't be afraid to take dozens of photos ?

You will have the photos by the end of the next week :p and of course some news about the unconnected pins :D

Reactions: olokos

mitsosJL

Mar 22, 2014
Bad news guys :/ they said that they that they would not wire my jack + they didn't even brought the parts I had ordered . So I left :(
Now there is a hope to take some shots of the jack if I go to another city's service center :/

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Bad news guys :/ they said that they that they would not wire my jack + they didn't even brought the parts I had ordered . So I left :(
Now there is a hope to take some shots of the jack if I go to another city's service center :/

I'm not surprised, as I mentioned, they don't really repair the parts, but replace them instead and such modification would need hell of precision, both in doing really tight AND slim solders. I don't think that the human being would be able to do this without any special hardware.
It's a good idea to take those shots and if you're replacing this jack then ask them to give you the old one. If you are replacing them, then please take those pictures and if you don't mind to send me such broken jack replacement, I'll pay for the shipping if it won't be a lot and I'll examine it further.

If the jack is not the case of your trip to Sony service then ignore what I wrote above. I don't really remember why are you going there in the first place xD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We know that one of the goodie from Z2 is that it has a special audio technology that are captable to reduce noise in some way
    but is it hardware or software stuff?? i see mods that port Z2 audio stuff to other devices, does the noise reduction part really works??
    or it is software but contain some bulls*** like X-reality and photo quality enhancement that make it impossible to port to other devices??

any idea guys??

(i'm not requesting for a mod or something, just interested to know what it is)

If you're talking about the Digital Noice Cancelling it's implemented to the Z2 and need specific headset.
    Each earphone in the Sony MDR-NC31EM headset has outward-facing microphone. The two mikes pick up background noise and send it for processing to the Xperia Z2.
    Following this, a signal processor inverts the noise's phase by creating an anti-noise wave. This gets mixed with the audio that is being played on the phone.

I see, if i got that head phone, can z1 do digital noise cancelation like how the z2 did??

I don't think so, this technology is not included in the Xperia Z1 so that wont work even with proper headset.

I'm not surprised, as I mentioned, they don't really repair the parts, but replace them instead and such modification would need hell of precision, both in doing really tight AND slim solders. I don't think that the human being would be able to do this without any special hardware.
    It's a good idea to take those shots and if you're replacing this jack then ask them to give you the old one. If you are replacing them, then please take those pictures and if you don't mind to send me such broken jack replacement, I'll pay for the shipping if it won't be a lot and I'll examine it further.

If the jack is not the case of your trip to Sony service then ignore what I wrote above. I don't really remember why are you going there in the first place xD