How long will the battery last with GPS use?

Search This thread

PaulusUK

Mar 20, 2007
Birmingham
As a handheld GPS for walking.

I use a program called Memory Map which has terrain maps and plots routes, waypoints etc.

The GPS would need to be on all the time, but the screen could be off and just turned on when I need to glance at the route/map

I used to get just under 2 hours from my Diamond and about 2 1/2 hours from my m700 - so I had to carry some external batteries

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
As a handheld GPS for walking.

I use a program called Memory Map which has terrain maps and plots routes, waypoints etc.

The GPS would need to be on all the time, but the screen could be off and just turned on when I need to glance at the route/map

I used to get just under 2 hours from my Diamond and about 2 1/2 hours from my m700 - so I had to carry some external batteries

For thst sort of usage, I'd honestly suggest getting a bluetooth GPS unit. Does MUCH better under cover (trees, urban 'trees', etc) and takes a huge load off of the device.

I've gone on 3-4 hour hikes using TrackMe, which sounds like a similar program, and was only down 20% on battery. That'd get me WAY more battery life than my legs had in 'em.

Good luck, I'll check out Memory Map. I'm a geogeek, I collect all sorts of GPS related software. :)

eresen

Apr 1, 2007
Brackley
TP2 GPS battery usage

My TP2 lasted 2.5 hours using Memory-Map in full mapping mode, where I had to plot map I created on PC.

Tunc

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Wouldn't bluetooth communication also drain the power?

Which would be worse - the BT or the GPS working?

erm... Perhaps not you, but I answered this very question somewhere else already.. anyway...

Bluetooth is very low power. And obviously if I'm saying the GPS uses hordes of power and to use a Bluetooth device because of power, the internal GPS is worse (much worse). How much worse? Same workload, same software, BT vs internal GPS on the Kaiser (same GPS as TP2) was a difference of 100mAh. 8.3% more battery drain per hour.

Bluetooth GPS also has other advantages...

• Faster fix
  • More accurate
  • More sensitive
  • More options (in terms of which GPS you get and what features IT has)
Disadvantages
  • One more small thing to carry around

In terms of features, I keep saying I'm going to upgrade my BT GPS to the Columbus V900 (or other like models). It'll act like a normal BT GPS, or self-logger to a memory card, even a 'stealth' mode which logs a point every N minutes which you could effectively let run for a week without running out of battery and years before filling a 1G memory card.. Also you can attach voice notes to a coordinate, or 'mark' a spot with a button push, both of which you could refer to later by viewing the resulting data in Google Earth or other means.