Read a zillion threads, nothing sticks

Search This thread

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007
So I've rooted my phones for the last 5 years, nexus 1, droid, rezound, gs4, n5 and then the m8. finally i screwed up, and i was getting bootloops. in my slightly panicked state i managed to wipe the OS completely off of the device.

i can get into fastboot and from there also TWRP recovery. i've read a million threads, adb sideload, One_M8 all in one kit, etc....

I can't figure out how to now simply flash a stock ROM onto my device. can anyone spell it out in a way this idiot can get it? i;ve downloaded a gazillion things. i'm stuck. i had to go pay full retail for a phone because as a realtor i simply can't be without one even for a day. it's my lifeline. i'd like to fix this one so i can return the new one and save $700.

thanks.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
When you say you wiped the OS, did you also clear the partitions? Are you booting into recovery by flashing TWRP and then booting into recovery... or are you booting into recovery via "fastboot boot"? If you have partitions still, you can use a USB OTG adapter and memory stick (or just sdcard) to store the firmware.zip file and flash it from TWRP.

IF, on the other hand, you wiped your partition table, you are in a bigger mess. It's possible a RUU can help, but I'm not familiar with them so can't comment beyond suggesting that you look into that more...

Tdeljr

Oct 16, 2010
Google Pixel 6
In the development section there is a system dump by (Mike1986). If your computer still recognizes your phone, download system dump to computer, copy it to your phone's internal storage, get into twrp and flash.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tdeljr

Oct 16, 2010
Google Pixel 6
After downloading Rom right click on it select cut, go into your phone's storage on computer (as long as computer recognizes phone) find empty space right click and select paste.

Tdeljr

Oct 16, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Please re-read the original post. The phone doesn't boot into android.

Well considering your not the original poster, and I've read the original post several times and can't seem to find where it says it doesn't boot into android. I'm just trying to offer whatever help I can.

hack14u

Nov 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
There is a DEV RUU out. You can use that. Or if you want ATT, or GPE, find the zips, and use fastboot commands to flash. If the computer can see the phone and you can issue commands, then there is nothing to worry about. Been there done that dozens of times with the M7. After playing with this M8, seems to be the same. Let us know where you are stuck, i.e. don't know the commands, or don't know where to find the zips.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Well considering your not the original poster, and I've read the original post several times and can't seem to find where it says it doesn't boot into android. I'm just trying to offer whatever help I can.

He wiped the OS, which is Android, thus he can't just plug it in and transfer files back and forth anymore.

Reactions: garyd9

Tdeljr

Oct 16, 2010
Google Pixel 6
There is a DEV RUU out. You can use that. Or if you want ATT, or GPE, find the zips, and use fastboot commands to flash. If the computer can see the phone and you can issue commands, then there is nothing to worry about. Been there done that dozens of times with the M7. After playing with this M8, seems to be the same. Let us know where you are stuck, i.e. don't know the commands, or don't know where to find the zips.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

He wiped the OS, which is Android, thus he can't just plug it in and transfer files back and forth anymore.

That's my bad, didn't put 2 & 2 together. Thanks for explaining.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Surely if you've only deleted the OS just flash a nandroid from the stock backup thread via TWRP?

exocetdj

So I've rooted my phones for the last 5 years, nexus 1, droid, rezound, gs4, n5 and then the m8. finally i screwed up, and i was getting bootloops. in my slightly panicked state i managed to wipe the OS completely off of the device.

i can get into fastboot and from there also TWRP recovery. i've read a million threads, adb sideload, One_M8 all in one kit, etc....

I can't figure out how to now simply flash a stock ROM onto my device. can anyone spell it out in a way this idiot can get it? i;ve downloaded a gazillion things. i'm stuck. i had to go pay full retail for a phone because as a realtor i simply can't be without one even for a day. it's my lifeline. i'd like to fix this one so i can return the new one and save $700.

thanks.

Have you got an external sd card? whack it on there using a card reader and flash from external sd

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

If that won't work on TWRP use philz

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007
not sure if i wiped the partitions. don't think so.

i can't transfer files to the device, the pc recognizes it to give fastboot commands via a command prompt, but not as a removable device.

i'll get an sd card on my way home today and try flashing a rom using recovery.

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007

i think i got the right zip. nm not the right one.

Last edited:

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007
If you want, set up a TeamViewer session and I will fix it for you.
My thread is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43588969

oh pretty cool. i have the sd card now and going to try. otherwise i may take you up on your offer.

anyone have a link to the right ROM zip file to flash for AT&T version phone?

EDiT: NM Found the thread in the Development section. Flashed it. Currently it's booting up, Android is upgrading optimizing all apps.

Last edited:

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007
oh pretty cool. i have the sd card now and going to try. otherwise i may take you up on your offer.

anyone have a link to the right ROM zip file to flash for AT&T version phone?

EDiT: NM Found the thread in the Development section. Flashed it. Currently it's booting up, Android is upgrading optimizing all apps.

very strange. after flashing and rebooting, i didn't have a clean install of Android, all my customizations and apps from before were installed. and i got the same random reboots. so all that info was still on the phone. went back into recovery and wiped everything, then re-flashed. now have a fresh clean install of stock 4.4.2

Thanks everyone! i kinda thought the sd card thing would be the easiest but the comments in this thread confirmed it and it worked.

exocetdj

very strange. after flashing and rebooting, i didn't have a clean install of Android, all my customizations and apps from before were installed. and i got the same random reboots. so all that info was still on the phone. went back into recovery and wiped everything, then re-flashed. now have a fresh clean install of stock 4.4.2

Thanks everyone! i kinda thought the sd card thing would be the easiest but the comments in this thread confirmed it and it worked.

That's the beauty of the sd card slot mate, i have saved my m8 countless times. i would always make a backup of your phone prior to tinkering but this really helps save ur ass if you forget to backup.

Glad everything is ok and that this simple solution worked :highfive::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.