Odd 'dead pixel' issue

Search This thread
I was browsing through the gallery just now and noticed a dead pixel. Or what I thought was a dead pixel.
When swiping through the gallery, there is a picture of a pink flower, followed by a black and white photo of a man. The b&w photo is portrait. I had the phone in landscape mode.
In the black space in the top left, I noticed a red dead pixel. I swore and carried on swiping.
Next was a landscape picture of a dog, but I noticed as I continued swiping that the dead pixel was still there.
Next is a skater in portrait mode...and the dead pixel is gone!
I swipe back, it comes back.
Swipe forward, it's gone again.

Anyone else's do this? I had to do it in a dark room to notice.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

malex1

Oct 15, 2009
This sounds like the dead pixel may be in the photo rather than the phone.
If you only get a dead pixel on specific photos, but cannot get the same result on any other screen on the phone, then it is probably the photo.

Take a photo so that the image is black (photo dark piece of cloth) if resulting picture has dead pixel, it is phone screen and you have a dead pixel, but one pixel should not cause too much problem.

With LCD screens, normally there is a percentage of pixels that can be faulty before it is classed as defective under warranty or sale of goods act.

d0pefish

Sep 10, 2005
If you see a red pixel illuminated against what should be black, you could have a stuck subpixel. A "dead" pixel implies the inverse; a black pixel where there should be colour.

On the photo of the man in black&white, with the phone rotated landscape, there are black spaces either side of the photo as it was taken in portrait.

On my phone, these black spaces are pure black.

When you display a picture with colour that occupies the space of the pixel in question, you wont notice it. Each pixel has three smaller subpixels that make up the colour; a red, green, and blue one. When the stuck pixel's nextdoor neighbours switch on, you won't notice the problem. The problem is that this pixel won't turn off.

If you want to return the phone, I'd make your mind up and do so as soon as possible while you still can - but perhaps using the proximity sensor thing as the reason, as most manufacturers/shops won't accept dead/stuck pixels as a return reason unless theres several of them, or if they're right in the middle of the screen.

Best of luck mate.

d0pefish

Sep 10, 2005
Oh right!

That's strange then! :( I can't reproduce the behavior on mine, I'm afraid.

Did you change the UI skin from the default?

Rixsta

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 26, 2010
Nottingham
A red pixel is just stuck, I had one on my laptop and I used a program the flashed colours over it and after an hour it was gone, a black pixel will be there for life :(..
It happens will lcd sometimes

Doubt anyone has made a program on the android market for this though

Rixsta

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 26, 2010
Nottingham
I'm not sure if you're understanding me. It's actually ok, just not when looking at that particular photo! I'm just trying to understand why. It's fine everywhere else, just not on that photo. But its not the photo as it doesn't move with the photo when it swipe.

Daft question but have you tried deleting the photo and seeing if it moves to the next or is gone for good?

Otterjasie

Oct 16, 2010
I had a look just now but can't see it on mine...I'll look again tonight when it is darker and let you know.

dxemerson

Oct 1, 2010
Hey,I know apart from dead pixels,there are some other 'bad pixels' like colourful pixel(sorry,I translate it directly from Chinese,that's what we call them.There must be an English name.) and white pixel.Different kinds of bad pixels behave various from different colours of background.That's why you can see them in some situations while some you can't.We often test 'bad pixels' of screens of laptops with several colours of background when shopping.