Help find a picture.

Search This thread

Satstalker

Jan 31, 2011
Hey guys. I need a little help. I lost a picture on my phone as it got corupt. I did use the picture as a background on the messages app and it still shows when I text. Does anybody know where this picture is stored so as I can get it and save it. I would love to get it for my new S5 before I do a restore on my S3. Is there any program that would scan my S3 for pictures.
Thanks .

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
Anybody got any ideas? Please.

If it isn't showing up in the gallery, you'll need to know the name of it to find it. I would start with going to the My Files app and manually looking through the camera and downloads folders. The location will depend on how you put the picture on the phone originally. Did you take the picture with the camera on the phone? Did you download it from a website? Did it come from an app? Need to know that first.

Satstalker

Jan 31, 2011
If it isn't showing up in the gallery, you'll need to know the name of it to find it. I would start with going to the My Files app and manually looking through the camera and downloads folders. The location will depend on how you put the picture on the phone originally. Did you take the picture with the camera on the phone? Did you download it from a website? Did it come from an app? Need to know that first.

Hey Thanks for the reply jack man.
I don't know the name of the picture. When you add the picture as a background in messages you have to crop it and then it saves it and it shows up in the picture selection for back grounds in messages. Its that location that i am looking for.
On a good note i did use titanium backup and did a restore data for messages and got the picture back as a back ground option. So i can use it again. But i would still like to know where that picture is stored on the phone.
Thanks for your help.

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
Hey Thanks for the reply jack man.
I don't know the name of the picture. When you add the picture as a background in messages you have to crop it and then it saves it and it shows up in the picture selection for back grounds in messages. Its that location that i am looking for.
On a good note i did use titanium backup and did a restore data for messages and got the picture back as a back ground option. So i can use it again. But i would still like to know where that picture is stored on the phone.
Thanks for your help.

That still doesn't say how the picture got on the phone in the first place. When you go to the setting to change the background in messaging, it either let's you take a picture or view the gallery to select a picture. Is this one you downloaded? or took with you camera? If it gave you the option to crop it, it was probably in your gallery.

Try opening the My Files app. then click All Files. Then Device Storage. It may be in one of these folders - DCIM (if you took the picture with your camera), Download (if you downloaded it from the web or email), or Pictures (if you moved it directly to your phone from a computer).
It could also be on your external SD card if you have one installed. To check it, just back up to where you chose Device storage, then just choose SD memory card and look in the files there. If it's not in any of these locations, I have no idea. Good luck!

Also, if you downloaded the picture from an app (like Zedge), it may be in another folder that the app itself created for storage.

Satstalker

Jan 31, 2011
That still doesn't say how the picture got on the phone in the first place. When you go to the setting to change the background in messaging, it either let's you take a picture or view the gallery to select a picture. Is this one you downloaded? or took with you camera? If it gave you the option to crop it, it was probably in your gallery.

Try opening the My Files app. then click All Files. Then Device Storage. It may be in one of these folders - DCIM (if you took the picture with your camera), Download (if you downloaded it from the web or email), or Pictures (if you moved it directly to your phone from a computer).
It could also be on your external SD card if you have one installed. To check it, just back up to where you chose Device storage, then just choose SD memory card and look in the files there. If it's not in any of these locations, I have no idea. Good luck!

Also, if you downloaded the picture from an app (like Zedge), it may be in another folder that the app itself created for storage.

Yes it used to be in my gallery but it got corrupt and i cant view it any more. It shows up as a blank JPEG now and yes It was taken with the phone. However the picture can still be seen in messages. I would like to recover that picture in messages as it is the only picture remaining.

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
Yes it used to be in my gallery but it got corrupt and i cant view it any more. It shows up as a blank JPEG now and yes It was taken with the phone. However the picture can still be seen in messages. I would like to recover that picture in messages as it is the only picture remaining.

I've had that happen before. I think I fixed it by connecting to a computer and copy in it over then renaming it. Not sure if that was how... it's been a while. But it was something with renaming the file.

Hope it helps.