a2sd on Stock Rom

Search This thread

SherazHashmi

Aug 29, 2012
I am using stock rom on rooted htc explorer, I tried installing a2sd on it through guide on Darktremor official facebook page but i always get an error meaning I'm not able to install it.

My sd card is ext3 partitioned. I tried installing beta02, using gingerbread. Can anyone tell me how do I install it?

Reactions: hrkh83

soulheart17

Dec 21, 2011
i dont think it will work on stock rom because stock rom doesn't support init.rc script.

may developers can help you in this case

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
I'm trying to figure this out at the moment too. I think from what I can gather what you need to do is install a custom kernel. As I understand it, most of the Explorer custom kernels should work (although not the ones for the CM ROMs etc.). Something like Cranium or Titanium should do the job.

After installing that, it should be relatively straightforward, provided you haven't already got a FAT32 partition full of apps via link2SD (which I do...).

Hope you get it working, if you manage please do post back here with what you did and how it went, as I will probably be attempting this in the next week or two and would appreciate your experience.

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
Alright people!
Based on trial and error method:

Step by step instruction for a2SD on stock ROM
1.nandroid backup
2.backup all apps with titanium backup
3.unlink all apps if you're using link2SD and uninstall link2sd
3.1 install busbox from play store and install it.
4.backup and then format sdcard
5.partition with ext in recovery
2gb is enough
6.flash darktremors a2sd beta4 in recovery and then flash cranium kernel #2 or 800MHzkernel or kernel from ateeq ROM
7.wipe cache Dalvik cache and reboot
8.install a2sd gui
9.see if worked in gui
10.click move dalvik 2 sdext
11.wait for it
12.then move app data to sdcard with titanium backup after every app installation
13.enjoy HTC
FAQ:
1.I get "error installing from bla bla bla.zip"status 0
A:
Take the update binary from cranium kernel #2 and put it in the beta4 zip...
Just delete the update binary in beta4 and put the binary from cranium kernel zip
2.Now I get mount requires 4 args got only 3 status bla bla bla
A:
Well this time it'll be complicated..
Now open the update script with any text editor es note editor
You'll find that in beta4.zip you have mount system and then 3 parameters like "/data , etc etc," now you have to add a fourth parameter like this mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system"); and the same way for data

If you're crazy enough, all you have to do is just copy and paste all the files in the beta4.zip in it's respective location and then give it permissions 777 (use terminal and es explorer)
And voila your zip finally installs!
That's it people!
If you don't understand anything mentioned here,google it search and search in xda until you find it.
All I can say is that it can be done and actually I'm sending this post from such a dt a2sd enabled stock ROM with 401apps in total!
Anyway all the best

Update:
Link to cranium kerndl: http://d-h.st/nJr
Link to modified a2sd scripts : http://d.pr/f/UF8i
(thanks to sifjar and sakindia):):)enjoy

Last edited:

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
But I have 593MB of linked apps...How can I unlink them into about 18MB of free space on internal memory?

Also out of curiosity, which specific kernel do you use?

Thanks for your list of steps though, should prove quite helpful if I do finally get round to doing this.

EDIT: I am starting the process. I have made a nandroid backup and Titanium Backup of all apps + data. I have also uninstalled almost all my linked apps, moved a few to internal. Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to get DT apps2SD fully functional and then restore the Titanium Backup. I shall probably use cranium #2 kernel, is this the best option?

EDIT: Why do you recommend #2 and not #3? Is #3 buggy?

Last edited:

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
But I have 593MB of linked apps...How can I unlink them into about 18MB of free space on internal memory?

Thanks for your list of steps though, should prove quite helpful if I do finally get round to doing this.

EDIT: I am starting the process. I have made a nandroid backup and Titanium Backup of all apps + data. I have also uninstalled almost all my linked apps, moved a few to internal. Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to get DT apps2SD fully functional and then restore the Titanium Backup. I shall probably use cranium #2 kernel, is this the best option?

Yes #3 has a major bug..
Delete all apps except essentials..after all you have titanium backup
I'd prefer the 800kernel posted by akya22 but it causes random reboots on my phone.(it might not on other phones though)

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using xda app-developers app

Reactions: SifJar

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
Yes #3 has a major bug..
I'd prefer the 800kernel posted by akya22 but it causes random reboots on my phone.(it might not on other phones though)

Excellent, thank you. I will probably try this next weekend, I really need my phone during the week and can't afford to risk messing it up, but next weekend I should have time to fix it if I encounter a problem.

Thanks for your help.

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
Wiping data in some stock roms will end up in a stuck HTC logo

Just backup your fonts folder in data and after wiping data put it back in the data using aroma

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
Just want to say that I have installed Cranium #2 and DT apps2SD script now, and things seem to working OK. I am in the process of restoring all my apps with Titanium (I sprung for the Pro version, so I could batch restore without clicking "Install" hundreds of times, if anyone else is doing this, I advise doing likewise), currently have about 53MB of free space (I think I maybe need to move data separately or something? I did have 82MB free earlier). But all in all, it seems reasonably successful :)

Thanks again ptcpayne for your assistance.

Reactions: BleedingIris

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
Just want to say that I have installed Cranium #2 and DT apps2SD script now, and things seem to working OK. I am in the process of restoring all my apps with Titanium (I sprung for the Pro version, so I could batch restore without clicking "Install" hundreds of times, if anyone else is doing this, I advise doing likewise), currently have about 53MB of free space (I think I maybe need to move data separately or something? I did have 82MB free earlier). But all in all, it seems reasonably successful :)

Glad to hear it...
You need to move app data to sdcard with titanium backup-first move app data of 1 app and then you can batch move...
Btw,if someone is so poor enough,know that you can batch restore apps with free version of ROM toolbox lite and batch restore data with titanium backup

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

@ sifjar can you tell if you can extract apps from nandroid backup with titanium pro?

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
Glad to hear it...
You need to move app data to sdcard with titanium backup-first move app data of 1 app and then you can batch move...
Btw,if someone is so poor enough,know that you can batch restore apps with free version of ROM toolbox lite and batch restore data with titanium backup

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

@ sifjar can you tell if you can extract apps from nandroid backup with titanium pro?

I ended up opening terminal emulator and typing "a2sd datasd", which did the job just fine. Plus this way I believe it should automatically be done for all future apps.

As for extracting apps from nandroid: Yes, it would appear so.

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
I ended up opening terminal emulator and typing "a2sd datasd", which did the job just fine. Plus this way I believe it should automatically be done for all future apps.

As for extracting apps from nandroid: Yes, it would appear so.

I tried it...moving data back and forth but sometimes large cups of data are lost..including google accounts..but only during the moving process..
..also, I would like some special data to remain in internal memory like contacts....

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
I tried it...moving data back and forth but sometimes large cups of data are lost..including google accounts..but only during the moving process..
..also, I would like some special data to remain in internal memory like contacts....

I am yet to find any app with data missing, but I haven't run all apps yet since doing this I don't think. The important ones are all fine though.

And I find contacts to be fine from SD.

To each their own I guess ;)

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
Man.. these days no one is interested in stock Rom..
this thread is in the index, yet no one is here... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
Minor update:if you have stuck at HTC logo, please install stericson busybox and try again
Mount2SD is another app.. will save you a lot of hassle.

cm10 htc a310e k2.6 w/ smooth of butter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright people!
    Based on trial and error method:

Step by step instruction for a2SD on stock ROM
    1.nandroid backup
    2.backup all apps with titanium backup
    3.1 install busbox from play store and install it.
    4.backup and then format sdcard
    5.partition with ext in recovery
    2gb is enough
    6.flash darktremors a2sd beta4 in recovery and then flash cranium kernel #2 or 800MHzkernel or kernel from ateeq ROM
    7.wipe cache Dalvik cache and reboot
    8.install a2sd gui
    9.see if worked in gui
    10.click move dalvik 2 sdext
    11.wait for it
    12.then move app data to sdcard with titanium backup after every app installation
    13.enjoy HTC
    FAQ:
    1.I get "error installing from bla bla bla.zip"status 0
    A:
    Take the update binary from cranium kernel #2 and put it in the beta4 zip...
    Just delete the update binary in beta4 and put the binary from cranium kernel zip
    2.Now I get mount requires 4 args got only 3 status bla bla bla
    A:
    Well this time it'll be complicated..
    Now open the update script with any text editor es note editor
    You'll find that in beta4.zip you have mount system and then 3 parameters like "/data , etc etc," now you have to add a fourth parameter like this mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system"); and the same way for data

If you're crazy enough, all you have to do is just copy and paste all the files in the beta4.zip in it's respective location and then give it permissions 777 (use terminal and es explorer)
    And voila your zip finally installs!
    That's it people!
    If you don't understand anything mentioned here,google it search and search in xda until you find it.
    All I can say is that it can be done and actually I'm sending this post from such a dt a2sd enabled stock ROM with 401apps in total!
    Anyway all the best

Update:
    Link to cranium kerndl: http://d-h.st/nJr
    Link to modified a2sd scripts : http://d.pr/f/UF8i
    (thanks to sifjar and sakindia):):)enjoy
    I am using stock rom on rooted htc explorer, I tried installing a2sd on it through guide on Darktremor official facebook page but i always get an error meaning I'm not able to install it.

My sd card is ext3 partitioned. I tried installing beta02, using gingerbread. Can anyone tell me how do I install it?

Yes #3 has a major bug..