Android 2.2 "Froyo" porting project | discontinued

Search This thread

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
Xdandroid port for XPERIA
I am working to port the main Android distribution for HTC devices, xdandroid to the XPERIA. The fix for the screen flip is now present in their source repository and hopefully the kernels will merge soon.

LATEST RELEASE: 27th September - mic mute fix
Fixes the mute mic in calls. Turns out I pulled the latest kernel sources at the wrong time :eek:
Complete package (72MiB)
Without system.ext2 (27MiB)

Thanks to Jonny4911 for the touchscreen calibration file

Known issues: Battery charging won't work if charger is not active at boot.

22nd September - kernel revision (page 147 onwards)

I am no longer distributing the system image as I no longer need to modify it.
* Get the kernel+haret etc. from here and then get the latest XDANDROID system image from the official thread
* Rename the system image you downloaded to system.ext2 and put it on your sdcard along with the kernel package
* As noted in the xdandroid thread, you will need to throw out your data.img this time around, due to having a signed release.

Changes:
Seems to crash less! :)
Known issue: Voice calls are not working properly (mic not turned on)

21st August - Kernel update (page 117 onwards)
  • Kernel from kovsky-battery-driver branch - standalone battery meter driver, migrated to official HTC touchscreen driver, BT turns on but may not work, kb backlight thanks to ultrashot+vdelf
  • Clean system image from xdandroid 19/8 There is no LauncherPro in this image!
  • Known bugs: Not as stable.
  • Important: delete ts-calibration on your SDcard. You will be asked to calibrate the touchscreen on startup. Follow the onscreen instructions and not the squares as the calibration program does not know the screen is upside down
  • Important: Back up your data.img as there is a very real chance you could lose it due to crash
Download: US West
US East
with working ts-calibration and haret.exe (oops) thanks loco

Next release will be near the end of September, mkay? I've been busy elsewhere

9th August - System image update page 103 onwards
  • Based on xdandroid RC2.1
  • Removed Gallery3D and Music Mod, replaced with 2D Gallery and stock Music. (You can d/l Music Mod without screen size issues from the Market)
  • Wireless tether now included (warning: burns more power than charger puts in)
  • powertop now included for power usage debugging
  • sdcard powersave fix now in default.txt
  • fsck files purged on startup.

Previous releases are available from this page.

FAQs
  • Is there a Chinese language version?
    Not yet. xdandroid has not built their images for non-latin locales it seems
  • Will there be a ROM?
    Not yet. Requires more work for the kernel and that is not my area.
  • Will battery life be 'fixed'?
    Possibly.
  • Will Camera be fixed?
    Unlikely.
  • Charging does not work
    If your phone is very warm then it is probably consuming more power than the charger delivers. Otherwise, reboot and try again
  • Market does not connect
    Reboot, connect WiFi immediately (if you have it), try again
  • <Android feature X> does not work
    Look in the Rapahael, Blackstone and Diamond forums to see if this issue affects other devices first. It is a very low priority for me.
    If it involves Google accounts (i.e sync) I won't investigate.. we are lucky it works in the first place.
  • Speaker still seems to be on
    Fixed in development, but I haven't released an updated kernel yet.
  • <I have a power saving idea involving speakers, GPS or something>
    The cause of our battery life crapness is some driver bugs preventing the use of a proper sleep mode. Nothing else.

Last edited:

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Nice job :)
With enough documentation, I might join in the development! I have skills in C++, PHP and Java, so this interests me a lot.

DonDizzurp

Aug 15, 2009
The Internet
nice.. im in. im not a dev but this kinda stuffs been a hobby for years..
ill try to help with whatever i can

i heard froyo a lot more flexible with its hardware compatibility, might be easier to fix radio, wifi, gps, etc

Last edited:

ddutchie

Dec 16, 2008
Cape Town
I have very little experience with linux or any coding, but i need to get the most out of my xperia till February next year. New hobby coming my way!!

Thanks for taking the effort to explain what we all needed to know!
Will be following your thread and google-blogish type thing.

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
thought i doubt with x1's hardware can run froyo well but still appreciate if have it

From doing the Gentoo work with X and now Android, I think a proper graphics driver might help, you can see that while the CPU isn't being taxed much there is low fps on the display.

If we can get that extra 56MB of RAM currently not available that would help as well. Android is very RAM hungry..

Viper89

Oct 6, 2009
New York
From doing the Gentoo work with X and now Android, I think a proper graphics driver might help, you can see that while the CPU isn't being taxed much there is low fps on the display.

If we can get that extra 56MB of RAM currently not available that would help as well. Android is very RAM hungry..

Wow that's cool somebody is working on this:D, and what about a 128mb swap partion to make up for for 56mb of ram currently not available? Also for graphic driver what do you mean exactly? Graphic driver for Android on xperia or do you need one from windows to port into android? I have a collection of graphic driver's that I use for the Xperia.

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
I tried using swap on my other Linux experiment but these days Linux seems to prefer not to use swap at all.

Android uses the Linux framebuffer to draw stuff, and there is a binary 3D driver for OpenGL stuff - i think the xdandroid guys use it and run the Nexus One gallery 3d app with it.

The issue is that the speed of drawing on the screen is very choppy, its like when you use Windows or Linux with a generic VESA driver - you can't see windows while your moving them, or if you do its very slow. Maybe its something to do with the vsync messages I get in dmesg.. I'll let someone more experienced answer :p

fvs

Jan 2, 2009
It's great to see this development! Following this topic.

Keep up the good work :)

Matzemink

Nov 15, 2008
Bavaria :)
The issue is that the speed of drawing on the screen is very choppy, its like when you use Windows or Linux with a generic VESA driver - you can't see windows while your moving them, or if you do its very slow. Maybe its something to do with the vsync messages I get in dmesg.. I'll let someone more experienced answer :p

Could this be reason why android takes so much cpu power and battery?

i.e. if you take out the battery in winmo while connected to the charger you'll still be able to do everything on the phone.
I've done the same thing in android. Pull out the battery... but when I slide the homescreen the phone turns off.

So this is also a benefit for the most important thing.. improving battery life?

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009
@yinjianweizxc Ever heard of edit function?

Anyway, i hope this project evolves. Can you make RSS feed for your progress? I want to be on track :)

EDIT: wait, you got usb to work? :eek: That is great, i hope other devs see this.

Last edited:

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
USB has always worked - but you need to have a USB cable plugged in and connected to a computer before starting HaRET. Its one of those things they don't fully know how to do under Linux yet.

It got me too when I was first playing around with Linux on the Xperia :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xdandroid port for XPERIA
    I am working to port the main Android distribution for HTC devices, xdandroid to the XPERIA. The fix for the screen flip is now present in their source repository and hopefully the kernels will merge soon.

LATEST RELEASE: 27th September - mic mute fix
    Fixes the mute mic in calls. Turns out I pulled the latest kernel sources at the wrong time :eek:
    Complete package (72MiB)
    Without system.ext2 (27MiB)

Thanks to Jonny4911 for the touchscreen calibration file

Known issues: Battery charging won't work if charger is not active at boot.

22nd September - kernel revision (page 147 onwards)

I am no longer distributing the system image as I no longer need to modify it.
    * Get the kernel+haret etc. from here and then get the latest XDANDROID system image from the official thread
    * Rename the system image you downloaded to system.ext2 and put it on your sdcard along with the kernel package
    * As noted in the xdandroid thread, you will need to throw out your data.img this time around, due to having a signed release.

Changes:
    Seems to crash less! :)
    Known issue: Voice calls are not working properly (mic not turned on)

21st August - Kernel update (page 117 onwards)
    • Kernel from kovsky-battery-driver branch - standalone battery meter driver, migrated to official HTC touchscreen driver, BT turns on but may not work, kb backlight thanks to ultrashot+vdelf
    • Clean system image from xdandroid 19/8 There is no LauncherPro in this image!
    • Known bugs: Not as stable.
    • Important: delete ts-calibration on your SDcard. You will be asked to calibrate the touchscreen on startup. Follow the onscreen instructions and not the squares as the calibration program does not know the screen is upside down
    • Important: Back up your data.img as there is a very real chance you could lose it due to crash
    Download: US West
    US East
    with working ts-calibration and haret.exe (oops) thanks loco

Next release will be near the end of September, mkay? I've been busy elsewhere

9th August - System image update page 103 onwards
    • Based on xdandroid RC2.1
    • Removed Gallery3D and Music Mod, replaced with 2D Gallery and stock Music. (You can d/l Music Mod without screen size issues from the Market)
    • Wireless tether now included (warning: burns more power than charger puts in)
    • powertop now included for power usage debugging
    • sdcard powersave fix now in default.txt
    • fsck files purged on startup.

Previous releases are available from this page.

FAQs
    • Is there a Chinese language version?
      Not yet. xdandroid has not built their images for non-latin locales it seems
    • Will there be a ROM?
      Not yet. Requires more work for the kernel and that is not my area.
    • Will battery life be 'fixed'?
      Possibly.
    • Will Camera be fixed?
      Unlikely.
    • Charging does not work
      If your phone is very warm then it is probably consuming more power than the charger delivers. Otherwise, reboot and try again
    • Market does not connect
      Reboot, connect WiFi immediately (if you have it), try again
    • <Android feature X> does not work
      Look in the Rapahael, Blackstone and Diamond forums to see if this issue affects other devices first. It is a very low priority for me.
      If it involves Google accounts (i.e sync) I won't investigate.. we are lucky it works in the first place.
    • Speaker still seems to be on
      Fixed in development, but I haven't released an updated kernel yet.
    • <I have a power saving idea involving speakers, GPS or something>
      The cause of our battery life crapness is some driver bugs preventing the use of a proper sleep mode. Nothing else.
    Today's beta has solved my stability problem with Android market in yesterday's version (occasional application restart), so improvement for me :)

What i miss in this version (i mean Xdandroid 2.2) is better international support, in Xperoid 2.01 Glossy version it was perfect, all following features were working:
    Automatic APN configuration according to provider
    Support for location in Weather widget (now i get "unable to find location" error)
    Support for "My location" detection in Maps via GSM network (without GPS that takes long time to initialize and drains battery) was working, in Xdandroid version it's unable to detect my location (only via GPS).

Can we expect these features to be available in XDAndroid 2.2 version?

I know there are more important things to solve - hardware drivers still incomplete for many devices (Bluetooth, Wifi, Speaker control, HW keyboard, camera, battery + power management etc), but these functionality improvements are maybe easier to fix.
    People Dnt worry the android development is still going on by someone else, we have Neopeek out there who is constantly updating the Android for Xperia X1. You can all become fan pages of the facebook page called ( Xperoid ) which we update the latest news on. I am one an Admin there & hopefully will help anyone who needs help. Latest news we have got the Gingerbread Rom running but its still in Alpha phase :) . P.S - you can also visit www.neopeek.com & into the Android porting - Xperia X1 section for faster updates.

... and we have sp3dev xD he is one of the best devs for xperia I mean as fas as i know he made almost 100% functional kernel xD