OfficeSuite Pro 7 - Two Thumbs Up!

Search This thread

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
I keep a personal journal and really value using my N7 for quick entries. I do have other word processing tasks, but my journal is the high-frequency doc for me. Since the journal is now approaching 50 pages - it covers many years - I don't keep it in a "notes" app like Catch or Evernote. I like using Word for docs like this.

So, when I got my N7 I looked around for a good "Office" type app. Kingsoft Office rose to the top real quick since it's free. OfficeSuite is highly-regarded, but it costs $14.99, and I decided not to spend the money.

I've been using Kingsoft for two months now and man, does it suck. I realize that there are plenty of good reviews for that app, but those users may not be using it as frequently as me, or maybe they are working with 1-pagers. Otherwise, anyone really using Kingsoft has to run into the same crappy unstable and unpredictable behavior that I've been living with - it's so pervasive in this app. One frustrating example is the backspace function. It might do nothing, it might delete a letter, or a word or a sentence or a bunch of sentences. Then, when you begin to type the words back in that it deleted, the app will begin to toss in some parts of the words it deleted. The app doesn't reliably call the keyboard when you tap in the doc. There's more to dislike, but I'll just stop there. The Devs are totally non-responsive, BTW.

In a fit of Kingsoft rage the other day, I bought OfficeSuite Pro 7 and I wish I had done this earlier. It's not that OfficeSuite is just better, it's in an entirely different league. It's beautifully designed, the UI is perfectly human-factored. It's fast, offers every function I can think of, and best of all, it's freak'in stable - like 100% stable. Integration with cloud storage is fast and reliable.

If Kingsoft is your favorite Office app and it works perfectly for you, then life is great - for you. For me, IMO Kingsoft is not ready for prime time.

If you've been on the fence regarding shelling out the $14.99 price for OfficeSuite, I can tell you it's worth it. It really is an awesome app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Body Bogdan
D

Deleted member 2943498

AW: OfficeSuite Pro 7 - Two Thumbs Up!

Amen. I can second that.

JaZart

Jan 8, 2012
Columbus
So glad I bought this back when it was on sell

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
So glad I bought this back when it was on sell

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Yea, yea, yea... :)
I almost pulled the trigger on it back then too.
That made it harder to pay full price for it. But I am still glad I did.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall that people who got the app on sale had to pay full price to get the update to the current version 7.x. Also, the sale app didn't include all the fonts you get with the full price version. I recall that some folks were quite unhappy about that. Could be mistaken about this though...

Last edited:

dems86

Nov 3, 2012
Sacramento
Yea, yea, yea... :)
I almost pulled the trigger on it back then too.
That made it harder to pay full price for it. But I am still glad I did.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall that people who got the app on sale had to pay full price to get the update to the current version 7.x. Also, the sale app didn't include all the fonts you get with the full price version. I recall that some folks were quite unhappy about that. Could be mistaken about this though...

You are mistaken,I got it on sale and got 7 at no cost

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

felipelluna

Feb 26, 2012
thats a really nice hint. i use kingsofts app everyday now and not a long ago i searched for the best office app and i got this app as "the best available". its freakin me out. seems so primitive, its just not enough for daily use.

i'll check this app by myself. hope its good enough for me too. thanks!

Enviado do meu Nexus 7

dems86

Nov 3, 2012
Sacramento
I'm loving the new office suite 7 yup please too, the UK improvements are perfect.

A quick FYI, smart office 2 is on sale for 99 cents right now, for that price I couldn't help picking it up too. Got office suite when it was on sale also, lucky me.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
You are mistaken,I got it on sale and got 7 at no cost

Not only was I mistaken about that, but when you pay full price, it appears that you still have to pay extra for fonts and dictionaries. Oh well.

If there are free dictionaries available, someone give me a heads-up on that.

Still, really happy to have this app and I am using it every day.

Rayz321

Nov 3, 2012
It really is an amazing app! I bought it back in September, when it was still version 6, for .25 and have watched it evolve over the past few months.
It's grown so much and the devs are very responsive and helpful. It's worth the full price.

Bob Smith42

Jun 7, 2011
I keep a personal journal and really value using my N7 for quick entries. I do have other word processing tasks, but my journal is the high-frequency doc for me. Since the journal is now approaching 50 pages - it covers many years - I don't keep it in a "notes" app like Catch or Evernote. I like using Word for docs like this.

So, when I got my N7 I looked around for a good "Office" type app. Kingsoft Office rose to the top real quick since it's free. OfficeSuite is highly-regarded, but it costs $14.99, and I decided not to spend the money.

I've been using Kingsoft for two months now and man, does it suck. I realize that there are plenty of good reviews for that app, but those users may not be using it as frequently as me, or maybe they are working with 1-pagers. Otherwise, anyone really using Kingsoft has to run into the same crappy unstable and unpredictable behavior that I've been living with - it's so pervasive in this app. One frustrating example is the backspace function. It might do nothing, it might delete a letter, or a word or a sentence or a bunch of sentences. Then, when you begin to type the words back in that it deleted, the app will begin to toss in some parts of the words it deleted. The app doesn't reliably call the keyboard when you tap in the doc. There's more to dislike, but I'll just stop there. The Devs are totally non-responsive, BTW.

In a fit of Kingsoft rage the other day, I bought OfficeSuite Pro 7 and I wish I had done this earlier. It's not that OfficeSuite is just better, it's in an entirely different league. It's beautifully designed, the UI is perfectly human-factored. It's fast, offers every function I can think of, and best of all, it's freak'in stable - like 100% stable. Integration with cloud storage is fast and reliable.

If Kingsoft is your favorite Office app and it works perfectly for you, then life is great - for you. For me, IMO Kingsoft is not ready for prime time.

If you've been on the fence regarding shelling out the $14.99 price for OfficeSuite, I can tell you it's worth it. It really is an awesome app.

Great post. Thanks. I agree with you.

STEP 1: I am using OS-Pro v7.1.1237. On the Home tab, I created a new W document. I type in a few words, nothing much, e.g. Hello World.Then I hit save, Save as, Word Document(*.docx). I keep the Untitled.docx name and save to Remote Files, Google Drive, My Drive. It prompts Save, Convert file(s) to Google Drive format? You can choose No or Yes. Up to here it works great.

STEP 2: But, then I select Menu, File, Print. I have previously configured a printer as "Save to Google Drive". This can be done using Add Printer, selecting account, checking Save to Google Drive, and Add button. After printer configured, when I press Save to Google Drive there is an Error dialog prompt saying "Could not print to PDF".

STEP 3: So, I back up, and on the same file select Menu, File, Save As, Word 95-2003 Document(*.doc). Then I finish up saving Untitled.doc as in STEP 1. This also works great. Again I select File, Print, Save to Google Drive.Now I get toast "Print Job submitted successfully".

STEP 4: Swith back. Menu, File, Save as, Word Document(*.docx). Finish up as STEP 1. Overwrite previous STEP 1 document. Again, File, Print, Save to Google Drive, gives Error dialog "Could not convert to PDF".

The Google Cloud Print feature of OfficeSuite Pro is *not* working on new documents formatted in *.docx. This problem only occurs on *.docx where every other format I tried works. I can verify other tests pass because on Google Drive there are files like Untitled.doc.pdf. I can even print the sample *.docx provided by MobiSystems. But, creating a new *.docx fails to print.

I do not understand how a major feature like printing to Google Cloud Print can fail to convert a simple PDF. Maybe the support team at MobiSystems is not capable to perform simple testing on their releases? Unsure.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
I have Google Drive, but don't use it with OS Pro, so I can't comment. It really should work, so I agree with you.

I use Dropbox with OS Pro and it works perfectly. Fast, reliable, predictable every time.

Reactions: Bob Smith42

Bob Smith42

Jun 7, 2011
I have Google Drive, but don't use it with OS Pro, so I can't comment. It really should work, so I agree with you.

I use Dropbox with OS Pro and it works perfectly. Fast, reliable, predictable every time.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, can you try the same test as above and test print to Google Drive? It is very fast, automatic and simple.

Is there a feature to print to Dropbox? Is that even possible?

mssam

Feb 10, 2012
+1 also, I think it's the only suite to handle docx files... Or it was when I checked last...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.