Wi-Fi Calling

Search This thread

nviz22

Feb 16, 2012
Which Wi-Fi calling apps do you use from the play store since the Moto X doesn't have native Wi-Fi calling from what I know? Or does it have wi-fi calling?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
You recommend them? I was interested in their $40 4G plan, but idk their speeds?

I use them and it has worked well for me. Speed and coverage are entirely dependent on the Sprint service in your area.

Where I live, Sprint recently upgraded to 4G, and speeds are in the 5-10mbps range, which is perfectly acceptable for me. If you have any friends on Sprint, you could ask them what speeds they experience. Additionally, Republic wireless offers a 30-day money back guarantee.

If you would like to try them out, I'll give you a referral link to save you $20 off your bill. You HAVE to use a Republic Wireless Moto X (or Moto G) on RW though. You cannot bring your own device (because of the custom rom with integrated WiFi calling).

EDIT: Here is the referral link, if you decide to try them: http://rwshar.es/28KK (This will save you $20, and I get credit as well. Win-Win )

Last edited:
Reactions: nviz22

nviz22

Feb 16, 2012
I use them and it has worked well for me. Speed and coverage are entirely dependent on the Sprint service in your area.

Where I live, Sprint recently upgraded to 4G, and speeds are in the 5-10mbps range, which is perfectly acceptable for me. If you have any friends on Sprint, you could ask them what speeds they experience. Additionally, Republic wireless offers a 30-day money back guarantee.

If you would like to try them out, I'll give you a referral link to save you $20 off your bill. You HAVE to use a Republic Wireless Moto X (or Moto G) on RW though. You cannot bring your own device (because of the custom rom with integrated WiFi calling).

EDIT: Here is the referral link, if you decide to try them: http://rwshar.es/28KK (This will save you $20, and I get credit as well. Win-Win )

Okay, I don't get paid till next friday, so I will have to see how much I have because of payroll issues. I will try to either get Republic Wireless or T-Mobile's Galaxy S4 w/ Wifi Calling or a Nexus 5.

IceMotoX

Jul 2, 2014
Boston
Okay, I don't get paid till next friday, so I will have to see how much I have because of payroll issues. I will try to either get Republic Wireless or T-Mobile's Galaxy S4 w/ Wifi Calling or a Nexus 5.

Get RW's Moto X - I'm on their $10 a month plan and it's excellent. If you travel outside the US a lot you can only use wifi - you can't pop in a local sim.

EDIT - Moto X starts $299 black/white 16GB, $349 MotoMaker 16GB, $374 MotoMaker 16GB Wood, $399 MotoMaker 32GB, $424 MotoMaker 32GB Wood. Moto G starts at $149 8GB, $179 16GB

Last edited:

nviz22

Feb 16, 2012
Get RW's Moto X - I'm on their $10 a month plan and it's excellent. If you travel outside the US a lot you can only use wifi - you can't pop in a local sim.

EDIT - Moto X starts $299 black/white 16GB, $349 MotoMaker 16GB, $374 MotoMaker 16GB Wood, $399 MotoMaker 32GB, $424 MotoMaker 32GB Wood. Moto G starts at $149 8GB, $179 16GB

I'll get my Note 3 unlocked from AT&T tomorrow or soon just for travelling internationally while using the Moto X as the main device. I won't really pay as much for AT&T. I will consider the $40 RW plan actually. I like LTE data.

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
Well, I can't figure what exactly do you mean with WIFI calling. As far as I know Republic Wireless force calling via WIFI whenever is possible but it is locked to the RW network and cell calling comes as a subsidiary.

Speaking of internet calling in general, you can use it on any Android phone. You must install one of the sip clients as Csipsimple or Sipdroid. In previous versions (ICS, JB) you could use native sip client which is integrated into the system. Motorola removed one file from the system which is essential for the internet calling though (android.software.sip.voip.xml) but you can get it back if you're rooted. But this is not the only problem with the native sip. In KitKat is somehow damaged and using it causes massive voice distortion which is allegedly result of inappropriate echo management. The malfunction is one of about 300 which should have been fixed in 4,4,3 version. It would be nice if someone, who already officially upgraded, tests the sip functionality.

As it has been announced Google plans to integrate his voice app into Hangouts in 5.0 and therefore offer voip as its own standard telephony. It seems that with further development of telecommunications (LTE Advanced) the mobile phone loses its last trad functionality - there will be no more voice transmission, voice will be transferred as any other data via internet from initial base station to the end one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Only the Republic Wireless Moto X has native WiFi calling, AFAIK.

www.republicwireless.com

You recommend them? I was interested in their $40 4G plan, but idk their speeds?