RAM usage

Search This thread

supers2k

Dec 25, 2008
Chino Hills, Calif
Yes with 4.4.2 we get more RAM, but the phone is not using it. In 4.3 I could easily keep 9-11 (2.2gb RAM/2.38gb) apps running in the background. 4.4.2 it now stays around 5-7app using (2.0gb RAM/2.71gb). Anyone else notice this?

TheDriller

Jan 31, 2012
Augusta, GA
Yes with 4.4.2 we get more RAM, but the phone is not using it. In 4.3 I could easily keep 9-11 (2.2gb RAM/2.38gb) apps running in the background. 4.4.2 it now stays around 5-7app using (2.0gb RAM/2.71gb). Anyone else notice this?

Tell me again how a software update will give you more ram? You don't get more ram. Sorry. What you got was ART which doesn't even matter with the Note 3 because our hardware is TWICE as powerful as most stuff out there. Its sad... Kit kat has never been what it was meant to be. Think of it like Morpheus with the blue pill and the red pill.

dupugyda.jpg
Everyone should read this

Reactions: 440bro

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
What you got was ART

As far as I know the Note 3 did not get ART. As many of you may know, when you wipe the dalvik cache and reboot the phone
"optimizes" all installed apps. When I had KitKat ROMs with ART enabled on my Galaxy Nexus it would take forever to "optimize" everything. My Note 3 running KitKat optimizes all 200+ apps in less than 2 minutes, much like my Nexus did when I was using dalvik. Based on these observations I believe that we're still stuck with dalvik.

I am using a custom KitKat ROM on my Note 3, so maybe the official OTA has ART and the ROM I'm using doesn't? I don't see an option for it in the development settings and I doubt the developer would remove it.

Last edited:

TheDriller

Jan 31, 2012
Augusta, GA
As far as I know the Note 3 did not get ART. As many of you may know, when you wipe the dalvik cache and reboot the phone
"optimizes" all installed apps. When I had KitKat ROMs with ART enabled on my Galaxy Nexus it would take forever to "optimize" everything. My Note 3 running KitKat optimizes all 200+ apps in less than 2 minutes, much like my Nexus did when I was using dalvik. Based on these observations I believe that we're still stuck with dalvik.

I am using a custom KitKat ROM on my Note 3, so maybe the official OTA has ART and the ROM I'm using doesn't? I don't see an option for it in the development settings and I doubt the developer would remove it.

Well first of all, the note 3 is 5 times as powerful as the gnex. Secondly, if that's the case and we don't get ART because our hardware is so badass, then tell me what was the point of the upgrade?

dupugyda.jpg

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Well first of all, the note 3 is 5 times as powerful as the gnex.
According to this article (link below) Samsung removed ART from its 4.4.2 update. The author didn't specify which version of the Note they tested, so it may or may not apply to the AT&T or other US variants of the Note 3.

Link: http://allaboutgalaxynote.com/galax...top-5-disappointments-and-top-5-consolations/

Secondly, if that's the case and we don't get ART because our hardware is so badass, then tell me what was the point of the upgrade?
Upgrade from what? My Nexus or 4.3 on my Note? I upgraded from my Nexus because the battery life was absolutely terrible, the screen was cracked, the reception was awful, it was a 2.5 year old device, and I wanted a giant phablet with a stylus.

I upgraded from 4.3 on my Note because I wanted to try out the mighty Knoxraid that was being praised on this forum. If I was going to flash a custom ROM I figured that I might as well use one based on the latest version on Android, with or without ART.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything. I'm just stating my opinion based on my experience with ART on my old rundown Galaxy Nexus and what I've read...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Tell me again how a software update will give you more ram? You don't get more ram. Sorry. What you got was ART which doesn't even matter with the Note 3 because our hardware is TWICE as powerful as most stuff out there. Its sad... Kit kat has never been what it was meant to be. Think of it like Morpheus with the blue pill and the red pill.

dupugyda.jpg