[Q]SDcard doesn't work

Search This thread

-Epix-

Feb 11, 2009
Illinois
Android 4.4.2 on padfone x rooted. Even before root SDcard shows as there but doesn't install anything to. Uses on board storage. Any fix for this

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X

rlridgeway

Mar 5, 2011
Android 4.4.2 on padfone x rooted. Even before root SDcard shows as there but doesn't install anything to. Uses on board storage. Any fix for this

I think the problem is not so much a Padfone issue but a Kitkat one. Apparently Android no longer allows 3rd party apps to write to a SD card. They say this is for security reasons. Native apps seem to write just fine to a memory card. Here is an article explaining this:http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

There are workarounds. First search for SD card fix in Playstore. There are some apps that are supposed to fix this. I am not sure how well these work however. I think there are some custom roms that also deal with this.

I am going to try another method. I will save to the internal storage then, using the native file manager, transfer the files to the SD card. When I need to use those files transfer them back into internal storage. This method is a a bit cumbersome and may not work as well as I hope but I kind of understand the security concerns. I do not have a lot of storage needs and for the most part will just use internal storage but for those other times will try this method.

Last edited:

evusas

Jun 25, 2013
Edinburgh
format

Hi. Have you tried formatting your SD to exFat format?
I have been experiencing problem with 32 GB NTFS SD (all galleries stopped working, even internal storage was unable to reach). Luckily, exFat is working like a charm now :)

8125Omnimax

Jul 1, 2006
New York City
Exfat does seem to be the new standard. From what I have read it is the only format that allows uhs-1 microsd cards to properly record video in HD and UHD.

For example I tried a 16gb class 4 card in my PFX formatted in fat32 and exfat . UHD recording was very corrupted on both formats. On my SanDisk ultra uhs-1 16GB, everything was smooth.

When you format any card in the PFX, it will format as exfat by default.

The PFX chipset is rated to handle the UHS class Micro SD cards and you do see a notable speed difference when transferring files.

Compare this to the galaxy note 3 which formats anything you throw at it into exfat and transfer speeds are horrible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app