Not So Persistent Perfection Asus Transformer Prime Bootloader Unlock!

Search This thread

Wordlywisewiz

Nov 25, 2011
Brattleboro
I know I keep checking I wonder if Asus actually checks lol! We gotta get those tech blogs roaring also anyone wanna contact them I gotta go soon school tomorrow

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

FunkyMcBain

Aug 16, 2010
Ottawa
I love this tablet but man ASUS needs to check their head... When I got the original TF101 I had the charger break on me before I even used the the first time, then when I got the Prime the cable broke, and now the effin thing is locked? I'm going to send them an email stating all this, this is just ridiculous

don_cheadle

Dec 30, 2011
The easiest way to get them to unlock the bootloader is to get everyone on here to return their primes, if they get hundreds of returns just because of a locked boot loader I have a feeling they will unlock it pretty fast.

I have to say it would be pretty cool if we got a ton of people to return their primes on the same day and announce to Asus that we are returning them because of the locked boot loader.

They already have people returning their primes in droves over the GPS issue. lol.

Wordlywisewiz

Nov 25, 2011
Brattleboro
@unrevoked tweeted it and bam! It's exploding now

I love the internet

Why am I not allowed to edit my OG post anymore :(

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Swiftks

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 16, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
I'M ALL HOPPED UP ON RED BULL AND PISS FIRE!!!! Here's a little nerd peep rally to really get you going... ASUS = Evil Hord!!!!

ajkid93

Dec 14, 2010
Can we post the bootloader request on the primary ASUS facebook wall? There are only 3 or 4 posts. We need to do it everywhere if we are to expect ASUS to comply with our wishes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay so Asus Will now be releasing a new updated version of the Transformer prime Called the tf700!

This model is the exact same except it has working WIFI and GPS!!!!!!!

Along with a few other minor upgrades!
    1920x1200 screen (full 1080p!)
    2mp front camera!
    They will be selling this for $100 more than the prime!

WE HAVE WON THIS BATTLE BEFORE

We need YOU to Tweet and Comment and Sign

AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

TWEET Something Along the Lines of THIS!

@Asus Replace our backplate or give us a TF700 #transformerprime

Links

Comment!

Comment all of their other fanpages!

GOOGLE+

SIGN THE PETITION!

Escalate your Complaint!

TWEET

@Asus Replace our backplate or give us a TF700 NOW! #transformerprime

Sent from my Outdated Transformer Prime TF201 :(
    From Facebook:

"Elrex Yeoh: ASUS Taiwan just released an official statement, which covers some aspects we would really love to know:
    1) ICS will be pushed to devices around the world on Jan 12th (woot!)
    2) GPS problem is mainly due to the aluminium backplate on the device. they won't be able to do much about it, that's why they removed the GPS from the specs on various sites to avoid causing any misunderstandings among users.
    3) BOOTLOADER: they won't unlock the bootloader, and the purpose of locked bootloader is to support media renting service on the device and its stability. BUT, they are working on releasing a bootloader unlocking tool for those users who would like to unlock it. however, the use of this unlocker tool wil void the warranty immediately.

source: https://www.facebook.com/asusclub.tw "

So it was because of DRM afterall.
    Here's what I wrote to Gary Key and Tammy T. Lin :

Email 1 ( I scanned and attached my proof of purchase with this email )

Hello to both of you, and happy holdiays.

I know this situation must be a pain to deal with during the holiday season, but to a customer's point of view, ( aka, me ) it's the same.

I have learned today that the bootloader on the transformer prime that Canada Post is delivering to me tomorrow will have a locked bootloader. You can find a copy of my receipt and tracking information in the attached PDF for proof of purchase.

This does not please me and unless Asus either gives me a way of unlocking it, I will be returning the product to bestbuy for a full refund. Best buy has a 30 day full refund policy, and the reason for my return will be these exact words < locked bootloader on an open-source device >.

What is ASUS's position on this ? I purchased multiple products from asus before ( motherboards ), and none have prevented me from installing the type of OS I wanted, be it Linux, or windows. How is it not the same on an open-sourced device ??

I and alot of people purchasing will be returning their devices if your position does not change. Just look around the websites, blogs, and forums. Don't worry, I will accept to have my warranty revoked if ever I unlock the bootloader. You guys should look into HTC's recent change of position...

Even after returning the product, I will refrain from purchasing any further products from your company, if your position does not change on this matter, and continue to support developpers in promoting open sourced projects from other manufacturers. BTW, I have an IPAD, and even THAT can be jailbroken....

Regards, an unhappy customer to be ( lost ? ),

Gary's answer

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for writing us today. I would like to pose a hypothetical question to you. Would you be willing to forgo the upcoming ICS FOTA update in lieu of having an unlocked bootloader at this time?

Sincerely,
    Gary

My answer

Thanks for writing back Gary, I appreciate it.

I don't think the ICS will solve the dev problem of having the locked bootloader.

I am expecting ICS ( I have a nexus S, so already playing around with ICS for a while now ), but don't expect it make magic. Custom ROM's are what make my nexus S go fast, save my battery, and keep it updated before my carrier decides I get updated. Changes to the kernel made by devs are night and day between what google is offering OTA.

I know this must be a mess to deal with, especially since everybody is busting your balls about this.

I don't think there is a way for you guys to wiggle out of this. Claims of the TF-201 being buggy, choppy menus, GPS not working, and wifi being not so great is already hard. Good news like releasing the encryption for the bootloader will probably get the attention out of the hardware issues you guys are having.

Htc has a solution which devs and users will abide to. You guys provide the tool to unlock the bootloader, but register my serial number when I do so. No more warranty.

People are expecting to root and have their warranties voided....

Mine is coming in tomorrow ( as you saw in my invoice, has tracking number on it ), and the bootloader unlock is much more important than the ICS.

But hey, I you want me to check out your ICS, let me know, I already know my way around it.

I don't think people need the bootloader unlocked NOW, just an announcment on ASUS's befalf that it will be done should suffice all the bad press...

and I added ;

Sorry, I did not answer your question directly.

Yes, releasing the ICS update sooner, with a promise to unlock the bootloader eventually, should relieve some tensions, and will be satisfactory for me.

This is what I want to hear from asus, and I'm sure this is what the community and the buyers want.

Again, thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

Heck, if this works, I'll be keeping the TF-201.

I'm happy to see that they are at least listening.
    The easiest way to get them to unlock the bootloader is to get everyone on here to return their primes, if they get hundreds of returns just because of a locked boot loader I have a feeling they will unlock it pretty fast.

I have to say it would be pretty cool if we got a ton of people to return their primes on the same day and announce to Asus that we are returning them because of the locked boot loader.
    Not going to read this entire thread but the OP is completely wrong from a technical standpoint. If they're using AES128 (i.e. symmetric encryption), then the private key would be on the device itself. This key would need to be stored unencrypted for it to even function.

The more typical and practical security model in these situations is to use asymmetric encryption, storing only the public key on the device and using it to validate the signature of a bootloader or any other secure contents. Again, I did not read the thread to see if anyone else chimed in with the facts here but the technical conclusions drawn in the OP were so wrong I had to start typing.

All that said, unless Asus provides an unlock mechanism or we unlock it ourselves, I will not be keeping my device. There's no reason whatsoever that a device I own, which isn't even on a carrier network, should be restricted. If you want me to opt out of my warranty for tinkering, I'll do that. Completely locking down a device *I own and pay for* is absolutely unacceptable. Where does the line get drawn? Why is it acceptable to do this for a tablet/phone, when no company would ever dream of it (unless they were masochistic) when selling standard computers.

Bottom line, unacceptable Asus. Fortunately, we have choices, and I'll take my business elsewhere.