[Q] old iphone reception > evo 3d?

Search This thread

curto

Aug 7, 2010
Sydney
my friend has an iphone 3gs and we're both on the same carrier. she gets way way better reception with her iphone and i am wondering why. i read a couple threads that suggest the antennae of the evo being at the bottom being the problem cause when you hold it your hand blocks the signal, however if i place both phones side by side and not even touch them the iphone signal is still a lot better. how is it that a nearly 3 year old phone smashes a modern day smart phone in terms of reception?

thakk

May 4, 2012
Are both phones using the same speed of network? I didn't think the iphone 3gs did the 3G or 4G? I thought it was only a 2G phone.

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
she gets way way better reception with her iphone and i am wondering why.

How do you know? By the signal meter? The signal meter on a phone is a joke. Like the battery meter on some phones (which show full until it drops like a rock and dies), the signal meter can be falsified as well. The iPhone on AT&T shows a 4g connection even though it only uses their 3g network. On the stock Rom, our evo3d shows a 3g connection even if it is only 1x. I would test bandwidth using Speedtest and if those are comparable, then don't sweat it.

Sent from my PG86100

Last edited:

curto

Aug 7, 2010
Sydney
How do you know? By the signal meter? The signal meter on a phone is a joke. Like the battery meter on some phones (which show full until it drops like a rock and dies), the signal meter can be falsified as well. The iPhone on AT&T shows a 4g connection even though it only uses their 3g network. On the stock Rom, our evo3d shows a 3g connection even if it is only 1x. I would test bandwidth using Speedtest and if those are comparable, then don't sweat it.

Sent from my PG86100

she's definitely got better reception. we're talking like, I'll have no bars, or 1, and nothing internet wise is working but she'll have like 2-3 and her net will be flying.

zcink

Jun 29, 2007
Middle Earth
Interesting

There may be something to this.

There is a little shop I like to shop at. The shop is inside a building with a metal roof. Now you would not expect to get a good signal in there. I don't.

I have go outside in the parking lot to make a phone call. A friend of mine's daughter whips out her Iphone one day and starts talking away while in this same store. I asked her who her carrier was. Att. She gets 3 bars in the store.

I researched it and there is only one Att Tower in that area. so we are both using the exact same tower and using the exact same carrier but her reception is so much better.

In general though I don't usually experience a problem with signal strength almost anywhere else I go. No dropped calls ever with the EVO 3D.

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
eh? settings as in on the phone.. and then "update" ? i aint got no update thing in settings, could you be specific?

Go to your home screen. Then press the menu button. Then press settings. Then scroll all the way down till you see
"System Updates". Tap on that and you will see the menu I'm referring to.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

curto

Aug 7, 2010
Sydney
Go to your home screen. Then press the menu button. Then press settings. Then scroll all the way down till you see
"System Updates". Tap on that and you will see the menu I'm referring to.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

oops, btw guys im like, rooted and s-offed and all that stuff, currently on leedroid :rolleyes:

time to update my radio then?

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
Give it a shot to see if It helps any. You can always go back

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\