[HOWTO] Installing CWM recovery on Note II

Search This thread

mjwhirly

Aug 16, 2010
FL
Here are the instructions for installing CWM recovery to our AT&T Galaxy Note II

*Make sure you have installed the usb device drivers for our phone first, they can be found Here

Download the ClockworkMod Recovery image file from here. Place it on your desktop.
Get the ODIN 3 3.07 zip from here. Unzip the ODIN contents into a single folder on your desktop, there should 4 extracted files.
Power off your smartphone and then you need to boot it into Download Mode. Do it by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when you’re asked to press Volume Up, click it and enter download mode.
Go to ODIN folder on your PC and run the ODIN .exe file.
Now you can connect your smartphone to your PC. ODIN will say "ADDED". If ODIN doesn’t display the "added" text, then you will have to re-install the USB drivers for your smartphone.
Go to ODIN program window and click on ‘PDA’. Find the ‘CWM recovery img.tar file and load it into ODIN exe. Do Not Change Any Options Note that the ‘Re-partition’ box shouldn’t be checked.
Press the ‘START’ button and ODIN will begin to install ClockworkMod Recovery image on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 device.
After the install process is complete, the device will restart and ODIN should say ‘PASS’. This means that the process was successful.
Your phone should reboot and then have a new recovery.

To test out new recovery turn off phone , use the three button combo (Volume up+home+power, then wait for screen to flash) and phone will boot into recovery.

nite4evr

Jun 27, 2010
Can anybody confirm this works with 317M (Rogers) version too?
I tried it and I got nothing.............I've been waiting for CWM and would much prefer this over TWRP.

Thanks,
K

ookba

Oct 12, 2007
LA
Why isn't this is in the development section? Can anyone confirm it actually works? Backup and restore works? All features work?

Reactions: Tam iT Droid

jpasint

Apr 25, 2004
Coconut Creek, Fl
I couldn't do backups. It said it did but it didn't. Was only like 16 MB of stuff in the folder even after taking a while to back up. Strange.

Gave up on CWM and using TWRP now.

This was on my i317 none M.

Joe

ookba

Oct 12, 2007
LA
I couldn't do backups. It said it did but it didn't. Was only like 16 MB of stuff in the folder even after taking a while to back up. Strange.

Gave up on CWM and using TWRP now.

This was on my i317 none M.

Joe
Probably not the correct image for the device. The partitions are different from device to device. I am sure someone will port it soon enough.

Reactions: snlsapkota

SweetRedVoice

Feb 16, 2012
Easiest root ever! I may actually be getting the hang of this. I rooted my gNote2 in less than 10 mins.

mjwhirly, Thanks for your great instructions coming your way.

djben75

Nov 27, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Why?

The way I did it seems so much easier! Why go to all that trouble? All I did was rooted,(search for it! it is easy, really did only take about 30 seconds!) Installed ROM manager, (I have the premium version, not sure if it matters) then hit Flash clockworkMod Recovery. (when it asked to confirm phone model, I simply chose GS3 GT-.. ) IT WAS THAT SIMPLE! And everything works!

nite4evr

Jun 27, 2010
The way I did it seems so much easier! Why go to all that trouble? All I did was rooted,(search for it! it is easy, really did only take about 30 seconds!) Installed ROM manager, (I have the premium version, not sure if it matters) then hit Flash clockworkMod Recovery. (when it asked to confirm phone model, I simply chose GS3 GT-.. ) IT WAS THAT SIMPLE! And everything works!

Does GS Note II 317M work with GS3 GT recovery? Anyone confirm this method works?

iahk

Nov 21, 2010
I'd love to see a YT vid/tutorial. I haven't had the opportunity to explore MOdin yet. Everything can be done from the Note 2 itself?

the method here listed by op does not require you to be rooted. imo, it's the fastest method. odin cwm to a fully stock phone and then flash a custom rom.

Mobile odin requires you to be rooted already. But yes, the idea behind mobile odin is to be able to flash tar images without a pc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are the instructions for installing CWM recovery to our AT&T Galaxy Note II

*Make sure you have installed the usb device drivers for our phone first, they can be found Here

Download the ClockworkMod Recovery image file from here. Place it on your desktop.
    Get the ODIN 3 3.07 zip from here. Unzip the ODIN contents into a single folder on your desktop, there should 4 extracted files.
    Power off your smartphone and then you need to boot it into Download Mode. Do it by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when you’re asked to press Volume Up, click it and enter download mode.
    Go to ODIN folder on your PC and run the ODIN .exe file.
    Now you can connect your smartphone to your PC. ODIN will say "ADDED". If ODIN doesn’t display the "added" text, then you will have to re-install the USB drivers for your smartphone.
    Go to ODIN program window and click on ‘PDA’. Find the ‘CWM recovery img.tar file and load it into ODIN exe. Do Not Change Any Options Note that the ‘Re-partition’ box shouldn’t be checked.
    Press the ‘START’ button and ODIN will begin to install ClockworkMod Recovery image on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 device.
    After the install process is complete, the device will restart and ODIN should say ‘PASS’. This means that the process was successful.
    Your phone should reboot and then have a new recovery.

To test out new recovery turn off phone , use the three button combo (Volume up+home+power, then wait for screen to flash) and phone will boot into recovery.
    FIXED: Flash CWM on 4.1.2 after OTA update

I was having the same issues noticed above.
    I was able to successfully flash CWM by using the following steps

1. Use ODIN3 v3.07
    2. Use the published HURR!!!! (same one as before but i used a fresh download)
    3. SU>reboot download (or manually from boot with vol-down + Home + power)
    4. Start ODIN
    5. Plug in phone (ODIN shows "added!!")
    6. using PDA select your "MD5 file"
    7. 6. UNCHECK "AUTO REBOOT"
    8. START!!

9. phone will complete and not reboot (obviously)
    10. Pull the battery
    11.unplug from computer
    12. Replace battery
    13. Plug back in
    14. Hold VOL-UP + HOME + Power

15. ????????
    16. PROFIT
    17. ODIN will say "PASS"
    18. make nandroid backup (not required but good practice so you dont have to figure it out twice like i did)
    19. When you exit CWM!! do not disable CWM and revert to stock recovery. it will ask you if you want to. (WHY WOULD I DO THAT WHEN I JUST CHANGED IT!?!?!)
    19. return to XDA and hit the thanks button ;)

hope this helped

PRO-MODE
    redownload md5
    uncheck "Auto Reboot" in odin
    pull battery, unplug, replace battery, replug
    manually reboot into recovery (vol-up, home, Power)
    hit thanks button

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

terminal:
    SU> reboot recovery

easy mode
    I was having the same issues noticed above.
    I was able to successfully flash CWM by using the following steps

1. Use ODIN3 v3.07
    2. Use the published HURR!!!! (same one as before but i used a fresh download)
    3. SU>reboot download (or manually from boot with vol-down + Home + power)
    4. Start ODIN
    5. Plug in phone (ODIN shows "added!!")
    6. using PDA select your "MD5 file"
    7. 6. UNCHECK "AUTO REBOOT"
    8. START!!

9. phone will complete and not reboot (obviously)
    10. Pull the battery
    11.unplug from computer
    12. Replace battery
    13. Plug back in
    14. Hold VOL-UP + HOME + Power

15. ????????
    16. PROFIT
    17. ODIN will say "PASS"
    18. make nandroid backup (not required but good practice so you dont have to figure it out twice like i did)
    19. When you exit CWM!! do not disable CWM and revert to stock recovery. it will ask you if you want to.
    19. return to XDA and hit the thanks button ;)

hope this helped

PRO-MODE
    redownload md5
    uncheck "Auto Reboot" in odin
    pull battery, unplug, replace battery, replug
    manually reboot into recovery (vol-up, home, Power)
    hit thanks button

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

terminal:
    SU> reboot recovery

easy mode

You rock!! Should this be a separate thread for 4.1.2 because the original instructions don't work.
    Well now I'm seriously flustered... I downloaded GooManager, ran it with SuperUser access and installed the recovery script. It said it installed, but when I went into the recovery, it was still the stock Samsung recovery.
    Craziness...

***EDIT***

I used the GooManager app to flash the recovery script again, and this time instead of manually rebooting into recovery, I used the button inside the app to reboot into recovery and it appears to have worked...
    I'm still a bit confuzzled about how it is, or is not working, but I'm performing a TWRP backup now.

Is the TWRP Backup the same as a nandroid backup that CWM does?

yes it is
    Does GS Note II 317M work with GS3 GT recovery? Anyone confirm this method works?

This does work for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app