***REQUESTING INFO FROM USERS! SEE LAST POST!!!*** Screen Locker v1.0.1

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hey fellow XDA members!

I was using my phone and accidentally clicked a bunch of things xD

So I was like, well it would be nice to have a way to lock my screen but still see it lol.

Then I saw on Facebook where someone said "I really hate when I give my phone to someone to look at a picture and they swipe left or right to look at other pictures"

So I made an app that you can lock the screen and disable all touch input, it also disables the status bar from being expanded as well. Also consumes button presses :)

You activate the lock by either long pressing on the search button, or a notification :)

To unlock your screen again, just enter a pattern which you created :) I love this app :D Hope you guys do as well!

Donations appreciated! Thanks are loved! :)

UPDATE 10.31.13
- Fixed home button issue
- Temporarily fixed recent apps issue

UPDATE 11.1.13
- Removed trying to close recent apps, instead screen is completely black and you can only unlock it, nothing else will unlock it. and you cannot see what is on the screen. (labeled as b1 for "beta 1" as im not sure how many people will like this method.)

Downloads temporarily removed.

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hey fellow XDA members!

So I was like, well it would be nice to have a way to lock my screen but still see it lol.

Then I saw on Facebook where someone said "I really hate when I give my phone to someone to look at a picture and they swipe left or right to look at other pictures"

So I made an app that you can lock the screen and disable all touch input, it also disables the status bar from being expanded as well. Also consumes button presses :)

You activate the lock by either long pressing on the search button, or a notification :)

To unlock your screen again, just enter a pattern which you created :) I love this app :D Hope you guys do as well!

uploadfromtaptalk1383182265467.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
Tried it on HTC DNA was able to use the back and the home button. Using either, the notification shade kept rolling itself back up. These are capacitive buttons on my phone. The touch was disabled though.

Sent via my M7DNA

Last edited:

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
Also I forgot device has no search button and in the full screen mode for gallery app no notification pulldown is available. I know gallery lock down was a focus for the app.

Sent via my M7DNA

Amit_timA

Jun 23, 2013
Mumbai
Great minds, great works

I haven't used this app yet since im in the office now but I just cant wait to try this

This is something I was really looking for but never thought that someone like you will make an app for this too

Great work mate :good::good::good:

a--c

Nov 29, 2012
I'm curious from a dev standpoint - how do you handle the home key presses? Or does the system level alert cause them to be ignored automatically?

EDIT: A home key press bypasses the app. Maybe add an option so your app can be a "launcher" as well.

Last edited:

arnuckwade

Mar 1, 2011
sounds promising and useful! the screen is locked but what about the the home button and the back key? can others bypass the lock by pressing them?

drdionysius

Oct 28, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Brilliant idea!

I have two little things though:

1. I use SlimBean's soft navigation buttons. These buttons can still be pressed when locked by your awesome app.
  2. I have my hardware buttons disabled. It would be nice to have a way to link a software button to lock the screen.

himanshu.khanna

Mar 6, 2013
nyc app BUT

on my desire X stock android 4.1.1 JB i can still use my home button after turning on the screen lock. and from there after it gives home scren i can navigate to menus. it defeats d sole purpose of this wonderful app. please fix the bug and disable all buttons and touches once app is activated. thanks..

drdeviant

Apr 7, 2013
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Stock Samsung galaxy s3. Used home button and took me to my wallpaper. Unable to exit app. Unable to input gesture. Only way to exit app was restarting phone. So while it works as promised. If I passed the phone over to a friend they and press the hold button only option left for me is hard reset and this is a problem for me and I'm sure others. Otherwise this is a great app and has great potential. Keep up the good work. Look forward to a fix.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wmiswm

Aug 21, 2013
Should be a great idea. Unfortunately I do not have search button. The only physical buttons I have are the power and volume buttons. And, for all full screen apps, I also cannot callup the notification to activate SCREENLOCK. In fact, I have most apps mod to full screen, meaning that I have no means to activate your app for most of the time.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Brilliant idea!

I have two little things though:

1. I use SlimBean's soft navigation buttons. These buttons can still be pressed when locked by your awesome app.
  2. I have my hardware buttons disabled. It would be nice to have a way to link a software button to lock the screen.

The buttons will still be pressable, however, the back and menu buttons should be consumed by my app. The recent apps menu is kind of tricky to override, as system windows usually have a higher priority, like my S4 has multiwindow, when you click the little button to expand multiwindow, you can still access the apps and leave whatever is locked. I have a few ideas to fixing this that i will have to test and try myself. It is only version 1.0 :) so there is lots of room for improvement! :)

Nice work with this app. It works like a charm on my Nexus 7 2013. I've featured it on the XDA Portal.

Woohoo! Nice! Thanks a million!!

Reactions: Gack69

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Addressing the issues!

Hello everyone! Thanks for the awesome feedback for my app!

I would like to address the issues stated:

HOME BUTTON PRESSES
- This is next to impossible to completely consume. It was patched back in froyo or gingerbread i think. However, there are other methods I can take that will prevent this.
1st. I can make my app behave as a launcher app, meaning, when you press the home button, it will ask you which app to use as your launcher, you would select mine, then in my app, i would ask you which app to use as your actual home launcher. Then, when you press the home button, my app will get launched, it will do some checking, then if the screen lock is enabled, it will simply ignore the home button press, but if the screen lock is not enabled, it will navigate to your actual home screen. (Probably the prefered method)

2nd. The home button will take you to your home screen, however, the screen will remain locked. (Kind of like this option cause you can then detect if the friend or person was trying to be snoopy xD)

3rd. The home button will take you to your home screen, however, immediately after it will relaunch whichever app you locked and re-lock the screen.

I'm not too sure which option I will pick, mainly depends on device compatibility, I'm thinking the first and second options will be more compatible with more devices. So I will test those two options and if I like them both, I will include both options in the release.

UNABLE TO ACTIVATE IN FULLSCREEN
- Again, multiple fixes to this problem :)

1. You can use my "Clock in fullscreen" app to show a clock in fullscreen, then pressing the clock will expand the status bar.
2. I can listen for when the foreground app goes into a fullscreen state, then create an onscreen button, Clicking the button will lock the screen and remove the button, unlocking the screen will unlock the screen and show the button again. ( I probably will go with this approach) I might even make this an always showing button, or at least an option.

I think those were the extent of the issues, I will get working on it as soon as possible! Thanks again everyone for the support! Thats what makes any app wonderful, is the KIND support from the users instead of silly belly aching xD

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Reactions: Gack69

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
The other issue wasn't addressed but it may be a nonissue with the planned fixes. But when the lock is active and the back or home button is pressed, the notification shade continuously rolls up. I also never attempted and also didn't hear anyone ever say they were able to unlock their phone with the gesture. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey fellow XDA members!

UPDATE 10.31.13
    - Fixed home button issue
    - Temporarily fixed recent apps issue

UPDATE 11.1.13
    - Removed trying to close recent apps, instead screen is completely black and you can only unlock it, nothing else will unlock it. and you cannot see what is on the screen. (labeled as b1 for "beta 1" as im not sure how many people will like this method.)

Downloads temporarily removed.
    Hey fellow XDA members!

uploadfromtaptalk1383182265467.jpg

Nice work with this app. It works like a charm on my Nexus 7 2013. I've featured it on the XDA Portal.
    UPDATED TO v1.01!

Fixes:
    - Fixed the home button press
    - Fixed the recent apps issue (sort of) it cancels the recent apps, but shows the home screen(however the screen is still locked)

Will work on a better recent apps preventer in the future. To come: full screen app locking method. Need to test a bunch of ideas to figure out which is best.

Please consider a donation and don't forget to click that thanks button! :)

Thanks a bunch everyone! Off to bed!
    No offense, but you should polish the app before you start asking for money. I certainly don't want to spend money on something that doesn't look (<- Keyword) like much effort was put into it.

Are you being charged to download the version in the OP? No? OK then who said I'm asking money for the app? I was asking for donations for my time. Big difference between the two buddy.