Anyone get the M8 using Edge program?

Search This thread
I picked mine up on March 25th and since I'm not due for an upgrade until this September I decided to purchase via the edge program. I'm still on the fence about the edge program and supposedly I have 6 more days to return the phone and cancel the edge upgrade. Anyone else get their M8 using Edge and if so what are your feelings about it? Also if anyone's been using Edge for a while now your input is appreciated too. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Got mine on Edge. Was planning to buy it but when I added the 14.99 x12 +40 something initial it works out to me about 20 more overall. For me it was worth knowing I can turn my phone in after a year as I always want the newest phone.

steven6282

Aug 10, 2011
IMO, the edge is only good to get on if you are either getting a cheaper phone and want to stay off contract, really want to stay off contract with a more expensive phone and not have to pay the large off contract price up front, or you like to upgrade phones a lot and have the money to throw around for it.

For the M8, if they did it correctly, it would be like an extra 25 dollars a month for 2 years. It's supposed to be the off contract price broken out and financed basically over a 2 year period. You can upgrade at any time however, without renewing your contract by paying for at least half the cost off the phone and turning the phone in. Meaning for the M8, you'd have to pay at least 300 dollars totaly (either by 25 dollars a month or whatever the difference is between 300 and what you've paid so far when you want to upgrade).

Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. But then again, I still have unlimited data :) If I was forced to give up my unlimited data for some reason, I might would consider the edge, but most likely I'd just buy an off contract more reasonable cost phone like a nexus line phone or something. The amount price of off contract phones is mostly ridiculous and way higher than they should be. These things could be sold for 300 - 350 dollars and the companies would still probably be making a profit, you can look at the Nexus 5 to tell that.

whskytango

Feb 24, 2014
Bay City
It really isn't a bad deal, you get a credit for $25 if on a 10gb or more plan, so your bill actually goes down just a little and you don't get locked in, I feel the edge program is a win win really

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

It really isn't a bad deal, you get a credit for $25 if on a 10gb or more plan, so your bill actually goes down just a little and you don't get locked in, I feel the edge program is a win win really

If you want out you have to pay off the phone and the etf... So, yeah... You're locked in.

M8, nuff said.

whskytango

Feb 24, 2014
Bay City
Well I guess I mean locked down for upgrades, (where I live Verizon is the only carrier that gets great service so in my eyes I will always be with them) but it's nice to be able to upgrade when you want

Reactions: mchief298

mc_365

Sep 17, 2009
Jersey City
I'm on the fence about edge

I got the phone on edge cause I can't bring myself to spend $600 for a phone that I make less than 10 calls a month on. I use it more for music and occasional video, some ebook reading, little bit of web browsing, and once and a blue GPS. So the question was is my unlimited data worth $600 today? I use an average of 1.5 Gigs/month on edge the gave me 6 Gigs for the same price + $14 month for the phone financing. I paid $80 down on the phone. My thinking was; sooner or later VZW will just stop offering unlimited data to month to month users. So how would I feel if I spent $600 and in 2 months time I get a letter from VZW saying Unlimited data is no longer a service tier that they offer on a month to month basis. Now I have a phone that I cant take to another carrier(?) And I still don't have unlimited.

I'm still thinking about going back to the store before next week and switching back. I wonder if they will charge me a restocking fee, to switch me, meaning return my phone then do a new sale or will they just let me pay the difference of the retail price and my down payment?

Last edited:

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
I got edge program since my Bill overall at the end of the day is the same as it was every month on ATT. Basically pay the same every month with Verizon as I did on ATT but can upgrade my device every year (or sooner if I wanted personally) and again pay the same every month. Versus paying less a month and $199 or whatever phones cost and be locked in a few years on that device.

gehx

Nov 27, 2009
Sagnasty, MI.
My bill went down by 2 dollars by going with edge, so it's a win in my book. Did you get the 10 or 25(if over 10gigs) bill credit? That makes it a no brainer for me.

I used Edge to get this phone. What's "Did you get the 10 or 25(if over 10gigs) bill credit?" mean..i don't remember anything like that??

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
I used Edge to get this phone. What's "Did you get the 10 or 25(if over 10gigs) bill credit?" mean..i don't remember anything like that??

It's a promotion I believe that started around day 3 this device came out on Verizon. When in store I got $20/month credit. They said call customer service tomorrow and I will get $25/month credit a s long as I have Edge. I believe my Edge cost is about $25/month so with the $25/month credit it's like it's free and can upgrade whenever I want zero down. Win win, call customer service, was quick and easy, took 5min to enable this.

It's a promotion I believe that started around day 3 this device came out on Verizon. When in store I got $20/month credit. They said call customer service tomorrow and I will get $25/month credit a s long as I have Edge. I believe my Edge cost is about $25/month so with the $25/month credit it's like it's free and can upgrade whenever I want zero down. Win win, call customer service, was quick and easy, took 5min to enable this.

I got mine the day it came out and was bumped up from 8 GB to 10 GB for no cost supposedly.

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
I got mine the day it came out and was bumped up from 8 GB to 10 GB for no cost supposedly.

Yes I have 10gb plan shared with my wife. For some reason though store couldn't enable and said to call next day. Just figured it didn't start til next day? Did all this I believe the second day this device was released for Verizon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I guess I mean locked down for upgrades, (where I live Verizon is the only carrier that gets great service so in my eyes I will always be with them) but it's nice to be able to upgrade when you want

Can someone please explain the subsidies and how you pay for that along with the phone cost? Would be much appreciated as I am very confused...

Basically when you sign a two year contract, they give you a subsidized price on a device, a discount if you will for signing a two year contract. With Verizon you can only get a subsidized price on a device every two years. Every two years they offer you an "upgrade" to renew your contract and you get a device again at the subsidized price.
    Now the reason people pay full retail for a device is because they aren't eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal and have no other way to get it aside from just paying the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price.
    Then there's the people who still have unlimited data. Verizon quit doing unlimited data over a year ago. They offered tons of people "early upgrades" in exchange for dropping their unlimited data plan. So alot of the people who still have unlimited data are eligible for upgrading their two year contract and getting a new device, but don't do it as it would mean losing the unlimited data plan that they will never get again. So instead of renewing their contract, they just pay full retail for the device and don't have to.
    Then there is Verizon Edge. Which really when it comes down to it is a total rip-off. But it does allow for people to upgrade their devices sooner.
    Basically the way it works is almost like a car lease. The price of the device (full retail) is broken down into 24 payments. So for example the HTC One M8 is 599$ You could go in to a Verizon store pay 25$ down, with 25$ extra a month on your plan, trade in your old device, and take home a new device. Then after thirty days if you pay at least half the total cost of the device you can edge up again. It's kinda cool, but its total rape, because they are getting your two years of patronage at the normal plan rates AND your paying for retail for the device AND you are trading in your old device which they are just gonna sell as a CLNR device. The one saving grace is that you can get a new device as often as you like pretty much.
    Hope that answers your questions.
    When the two years are up of the $25 off the access line (10gb or more gets $25off; 8gb and under gets $10 off) does your plan jump up back to the normal pricing?

Also, they mention a phone in working order has to be turned in. Can it be any phone? I have some old basic phones that have been collecting dust in my desk drawer.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the discount, stands to reason it would cease with the completion of your Edge agreement.

I was made to understand that the phone you started with is the phone they take back, since I didn't have mine, they didn't ask me for anything back.

Your results may vary. I think I just got really lucky.:cool:
    Started with as in your first Verizon phone?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    As in the phone that you started your calling plan contract with. I was still on a 2 yr. Like if you went in a year ago and signed up, That phone.
    Why wouldn't employee discount apply with the Edge program? It is completely separate. On my account, I have a family share plan with 25% off on 10 GB of data so that goes down from $100 to $75. One of the 3 phones is on the Edge plan and will get the $25 off for that phone ($40-25 + $24.99 for the cost of phone monthly).

I just migrated to Edge to on the m8 too. Like the others have stated with the 10GB shared data plan it actually is $0.01 cheaper a month for my line.

I wonder if we are allowed to unlock our bootloaders (S-OFF) under edge?

Of course you aren't officially allowed, but there is no reason not to. With S-Off you can easily remove any tampering notifications and put it back to S-On before turning it in.