[App][4.1+][v1.1.0][May 29] Fences - Device automation made easy.

Search This thread

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
I don't see how you can ever use a location fence when you have a car exit Bluetooth trigger (when you are driving to the locations). You enter the fence, trigger. Turn off car, trigger (default settings). The location fence will always be overridden. That makes location based triggers unusable unless I don't use a car trigger.

Am I wrong or am I missing something?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Your missing things. It sounds like in your case if you want to have a default profile which is when you are not home and not in the car, the best trigger is probably disconnect car bluetooth. So you leave the home connect to car drive to store you get out of the car and you are disconnected there for default. You get back in the car connect to bt again. Drive home. Get out walk in inside connect to home wifi and your home. The triggers are fine. They all have their uses. Your just trying to use one that isnt suitable for what you are doing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dolfans311

Jun 4, 2013
Your missing things. It sounds like in your case if you want to have a default profile which is when you are not home and not in the car, the best trigger is probably disconnect car bluetooth. So you leave the home connect to car drive to store you get out of the car and you are disconnected there for default. You get back in the car connect to bt again. Drive home. Get out walk in inside connect to home wifi and your home. The triggers are fine. They all have their uses. Your just trying to use one that isnt suitable for what you are doing.

In my example, turn car off means disconnect with Bluetooth, which works great. I am just saying, I don't see how you can ever have a location trigger and a car disconnect to Bluetooth trigger. The Bluetooth will always fire last and override the location trigger. No?

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
In my example, turn car off means disconnect with Bluetooth, which works great. I am just saying, I don't see how you can ever have a location trigger and a car disconnect to Bluetooth trigger. The Bluetooth will always fire last and override the location trigger. No?

Location "Exit" and car bt "connect" may not play well together but that doesnt mean they are useless. Wifi connect and power pluggin can step on each other too. There are dozens of instances where one might step on another. Its up to the user to configure their profiles and triggers to suit their lifestyles.

Dolfans311

Jun 4, 2013
Location "Exit" and car bt "connect" may not play well together but that doesnt mean they are useless. Wifi connect and power pluggin can step on each other too. There are dozens of instances where one might step on another. Its up to the user to configure their profiles and triggers to suit their lifestyles.

I really want location triggers to work, but don't see how they can with my desire to set a default profile on Bluetooth disconnect. It would be nice if the Bluetooth disconnect trigger would not fire when the last fired trigger was my work location enter trigger (as shown in the notification). Guess this means prioritization which I understand is hard to do.

Thanks for the quick responses! I don't mean to be a pest. Keep up the great development!

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
Yes, priorities are necessary to allow complex rules, but the developer doesn't seem to understand that what works for him won't satisfy everyone.

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
Yes, priorities are necessary to allow complex rules, but the developer doesn't seem to understand that what works for him won't satisfy everyone.

Again I disagree. We've made clear that we do plan on adding priority support at some point. I'm simply pointing out that just because you did something one way on Tasker or some other app doesn't mean thats how this app is supposed to work. Our goal was never to be a Tasker or any other app clone. If another app has everything you are looking for then why are you trying other apps out? Clearly something was missing or you won't be looking into other solutions. We've only been available for 3 weeks. So we would hope we would be granted a little leeway before being compared to app that has years of development under their belts. So before you go saying this is how so and so did it, so you are wrong for not doing it that way. Maybe give us a chance to figure out how we want to handle these type of issues.

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
Again I disagree. We've made clear that we do plan on adding priority support at some point. I'm simply pointing out that just because you did something one way on Tasker or some other app doesn't mean thats how this app is supposed to work. Our goal was never to be a Tasker or any other app clone. If another app has everything you are looking for then why are you trying other apps out? Clearly something was missing or you won't be looking into other solutions. We've only been available for 3 weeks. So we would hope we would be granted a little leeway before being compared to app that has years of development under their belts. So before you go saying this is how so and so did it, so you are wrong for not doing it that way. Maybe give us a chance to figure out how we want to handle these type of issues.

In your replies to me (on G+, I think) on the subject of priorities, it sure sounded like you had decided it was too difficult, and weren't going to be implementing them. If you've changed your mind, I'm sorry I didn't know that.

But there's another problem I've reported a couple of times, with Bluetooth, and haven't seen answered. My work profile has an action to turn BT off. But it doesn't consistently work. Here's what I've noticed trying to figure this out:

My workplace has multiple WiFi APs. I have an app that will reconnect me to a strong AP as I move about the building and the AP I'm connected to gets too weak. When that handoff happens, the work profile re-fires (I have notifications turned on, so I can see it), but BT ends up turned on, instead of off. This is consistent, reproducible behavior.

Here's what seems to be happening: In order to connect to the new AP, the app has to disconnect from the prior AP. This should fire the trigger (Disconnect from any network) for the default profile, which turns BT on. But I don't get a notification for default profile, only the work profile. I wonder if the triggers (disconnect from any network, Connect to [specific network]) are happening so close together that the actions for the work and default profiles are somehow interfering with each other.

Occasionally, when moving between APs the default (not-work, not-home, not-car) profile does produce the notification when switching APs. This profile turns WiFi off, which prevents my phone from reconnecting to another AP. I have a location-based trigger for the work profile, but it doesn't seem to fire if I'm already inside that location.

anchonio

Jan 7, 2014
Hi.

I would like to do a (very noob :p ) question: I want to create profile, called for example "night profile" to disable data. I add it, and create it to disable data from 23:00h. Till here, seems ok. But I want to enable again data at, say 07:00h again, and I can not find how to do it.

Any one can help, please? Could anybody be so kind to explain me all the process, just in case I miss some step?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
then just create another profile 07:00 to enable the data
Hi.

I would like to do a (very noob :p ) question: I want to create profile, called for example "night profile" to disable data. I add it, and create it to disable data from 23:00h. Till here, seems ok. But I want to enable again data at, say 07:00h again, and I can not find how to do it.

Any one can help, please? Could anybody be so kind to explain me all the process, just in case I miss some step?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

Reactions: Stephen.k.spear

deejayburnout

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
soundcloud.com
Just found this app and it is just what I was looking for thank.

Only thing missing is the ability to activate or deactivate Airplane mode.

is there possibility to have this feature added???

Thanks

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
is this still under active development?
I have been using for a while now. all the current function is working as expected. Hope it will get better ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fences is a device automation application that has made it easier than ever
    to have your device the way you want it regardless of where or when you are!

Automate your phone. Let us worry about setting up your phone the way you like it.
    Create custom profiles that can perform over a dozen actions when various triggers occur.
    Create a geofence around all of your favorite movie theaters to silence your phone. Phone
    about to run out of battery? Create a profile to disable wifi, data, account sync and many more.
    The possibilities are endless. A simple user interface allows you to setup the app how you want
    it to work and forget about it. We will do the rest. Everything we do has your battery level in mind.

Google Plus Community
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112130752023749699441

Basic Features
    • New and improved UI
    • Unlimited Profiles
    • Geofencing

Download & Install

Download from Google Play Store
    Fences

Triggers
    • Connect to WiFi
    • Connect to Bluetooth
    • Plug in to power
    • Unplug from power
    • Low Battery
    • On Boot
    • Enter Location
    • Time With Repeat Options
    • Wi-Fi disconnect
    • Bluetooth disconnect
    • Location exit
    • Wi-Fi Any SSID
    • Bluetooth Any Device

Actions
    • AutoRotate
    • AutoBrightness
    • Brightness
    • Screen Timeout
    • Sound State
    • Ringer Volume
    • Notification Volume
    • Media Volume
    • Alarm Volume
    • Wifi
    • Bluetooth
    • Notification Led
    • Haptic Feedback
    • Notification Tone
    • Ringtone
    • Sync
    • Launch Shortcut
    • WiFi Tether
    • Bluetooth Tether

Looks promising. Any plans to interface this with Tasker?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The plan is to compete with Tasker... :)

Yes we are working on getting a new beta with new actions and Triggers out in the next couple weeks.
    Hope everybody joined the Beta Program. The first update has been published to all of you. Tell us about your experience.

The following are the new features included in this update. These features were requested by you guys. Keep them coming!

New actions
    - Launch Shortcut
    - WiFi Tether
    - Bluetooth Tether

New triggers
    - Wi-Fi disconnect
    - Bluetooth disconnect
    - Location exit
    - Wi-Fi Any SSID
    - Bluetooth Any Device

Bug fixes