ADB device offline

Search This thread

wimbet

Huawei and honor Rep
Jan 3, 2009
androidandme.com
I've been using ADB the last couple of days to install apps on my Captivate and all of the sudden it stopped working today.

When I type 'adb devices' the phone comes up right away, but it shows offline.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers and Android SDK, but no luck. I've searched around and found some others with this issue, but haven't really found a fix that works for me.

Any idea why ADB would just stop working like that? I even performed a factory reset of the phone and put everything back to defaults.

wimbet

Huawei and honor Rep
Jan 3, 2009
androidandme.com
Ok I almost pulled my hair out, but I found the problem.

For some reason, ADB does not work with the Samsung USB cable that came with the Captivate.

I switched to another USB cable and it works just fine.

Man, I really thought I was going crazy.

meatrocket

May 26, 2006
For some reason, ADB does not work with the Samsung USB cable that came with the Captivate.

What the hell is that about!? I wish all these companies would stop trying to break from standards by proprietizing common cables.

smitty1

Oct 11, 2007

Yeah I buy that, I couldn't even get the thing to try and connect at all with out switching usb connections on my computer.

systoxity

Nov 22, 2008
stock cable works. I just rooted and ran into that problem. In order to get around it if you cant get a diff cable, make sure that b4 you connect your phone to your pc you turn off your internet so it doesnt auto dl the drivers. b4 u connect, dl the drivers for your phone from the root thread. Plug your phone into ur comp with the internet off and close any pop ups. Go to device manager look for the notification labled usb or captivateand right click and select update. Select search from file on disk or select file (something like that, i forget) and scroll and select the folder where you extracted the usb drivers. Make sure the checkbox that says search subfolders is checked and click next to install. two more drivers will pop up in device manager after u install the first one. Repeat the same procedure for both of them and then you should be able to use adb just fine to root.

zerofx

Just wanted to further confirm that using a different microusb cable works! I keep reinstalling the drivers but it kept showing the device was offline. Then I tried my old Nokia N85 cable and it worked like charm! So weird how usb cables aren't made equally, unless Samsung designed the cable to prevent using adb? :confused:

Reactions: csman

iLoki

Jul 12, 2010
I had this issue for a little while, but I installed the Samsung Kies software (which contains drivers) and uninstalled the ADB drivers I had originally downloaded. It's worked like a charm since then.

Go to SamsungApps.com and then use the canada site, as the software isn't really available in the US yet.

TimF

Jul 21, 2010
I have had no problems using the stock cable on my Laptop and work PC, both are Win 7 32bit. The same cannot be said for my my main home PC which is Win 7 64bit. Neither the stock cable nor an after market cable worked with ADB.

For the 32bit OSes I installed the Kies software and the usb device gets installed correctly. for the 64bit OS, I installed the Kies software but could get the phone to connect correctly. I then tried to install the 64bit drivers that are floating around the web. The 64 bit drivers worked enough to get the phone connected to the PC but when I tried to query "adb devices" the phone would always appear as offline. I've tried several things: install/uninstall drivers and software on the PC, restart the PC and Phone, change cables. Nothing seems to help on Win 7 64bit.

It seems to me that there might be a bug in the 64bit driver, though I have no proof of a bug.

I am going to keep playing with the 64bit OS until i figure it out or get so annoyed a that I just give up.

I'll be using my Win 7 32 bit laptop until I get the 64bit PC to work.

mcvert

Jul 20, 2010
Stanford, CA
I have had no problems using the stock cable on my Laptop and work PC, both are Win 7 32bit. The same cannot be said for my my main home PC which is Win 7 64bit. Neither the stock cable nor an after market cable worked with ADB.

For the 32bit OSes I installed the Kies software and the usb device gets installed correctly. for the 64bit OS, I installed the Kies software but could get the phone to connect correctly. I then tried to install the 64bit drivers that are floating around the web. The 64 bit drivers worked enough to get the phone connected to the PC but when I tried to query "adb devices" the phone would always appear as offline. I've tried several things: install/uninstall drivers and software on the PC, restart the PC and Phone, change cables. Nothing seems to help on Win 7 64bit.

It seems to me that there might be a bug in the 64bit driver, though I have no proof of a bug.

I am going to keep playing with the 64bit OS until i figure it out or get so annoyed a that I just give up.

I'll be using my Win 7 32 bit laptop until I get the 64bit PC to work.

i've been able to install .apk's with my win7 64-bit ADB :O
all i did was install Samsung Kies.
i don't think i've ever had a problem...?

EDIT: i'm using the cable that came with it and no problems yet.

iLoki

Jul 12, 2010
I'm running win 7 x64 and Kies did the trick for me. I haven't had a single issue connecting my phone since I did that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

nolesrule

Jul 21, 2010
Justa dding to the anecdotes.

I was having problems with the included cable using the front USB. It would show as Device Offline, also the charging wasn't very strong.

I switched to the onboard USB at the back of the case, and adb worked fine with the included cable.

Looks like I'll be picking up a couple extra USB cables so I won't have to continuously do the desk dive everytime I need to use it somewhere else.

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
1. I installed the kies drivers first and it would say offline when i checked the device through the cmd prompt.

2. I then installed the adb drivers and it then said the device was online.

3. i then rooted the phone and went on my way. i then tried it a second time and it said device offline.

4. nothing changed during this time except that i turned off debug mode, changed it to mass storage and plugged it back into the usb to transfer some files.

5. on returning to debug mode it no longer tells me the device is online. i have tried different USB ports as well.

6. i deleted the drivers, and reinstalled and it still says offline.

very frustrating.

Reactions: toutomoutochan
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on my laptop,

I installed the samsung 64bit drivers, it was an installer i found on the web, not the kies installer packaged driver one.

i changed my setting on my captivate to Mass Storage.

I mounted usb and everything works, by that I mean i was able to ADB like no tomorrow without any issues.

Then I made the mistake of installing Samsung Kies and that messed up my previous drivers and I wasnt able to ADB to my phone. I had to uninstall Samsung Kies and my phone still wasnt being found I still couldnt ADB.

my solution to fixing was restarted my phone and computer, without my phone connected to USB i re-installed the Samsung 64bit Driver Package, then hooked up my phone made sure Mass Storage was selected and Mounted USB and bam was able to ADB again.

hope this helps! also i have been doing videos helping people with issues with samsung's captivate on youtube, youtube.com/johnnyzappone if anyone wants to check em out, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know and id be happy to release a video!

TimF

Jul 21, 2010
I resolved my issues, I plugged the stock cable into one of the rear usb ports and the device is now available on my main PC Win 7 64 bit.

joelpt

Jun 30, 2010

Confirmed this made my device stop appearing as offline with adb.

How it is even possible that the cable prevents (only) adb access on the PC, I have no idea.

Aprate

Mar 25, 2008
lol @ the samsung cable.

i've 2 indentic cables here, one doesn't work. plugged in the other one and this one works...

maby its just a strange issue on windows, next time try to pull out the cable and put in back in then connect your device again this should work.... :s

because earlier the cable just worked fine and now it doesn't.. so good luck xD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ADB device offline Android 4.2.2

After upgrading to Android 4.2.2 you need to authenticate your computer to use adb.
    This is not supported with older adb versions, so update your SDK or toolkits to at least adb 1.0.30 to make it work.

More information: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144709
    Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Sorry for abusing this zombie thread but it lists first on google and it should help people find the solution quicker.
    Just wanted to further confirm that using a different microusb cable works! I keep reinstalling the drivers but it kept showing the device was offline. Then I tried my old Nokia N85 cable and it worked like charm! So weird how usb cables aren't made equally, unless Samsung designed the cable to prevent using adb? :confused:
    1. I installed the kies drivers first and it would say offline when i checked the device through the cmd prompt.

2. I then installed the adb drivers and it then said the device was online.

3. i then rooted the phone and went on my way. i then tried it a second time and it said device offline.

4. nothing changed during this time except that i turned off debug mode, changed it to mass storage and plugged it back into the usb to transfer some files.

5. on returning to debug mode it no longer tells me the device is online. i have tried different USB ports as well.

6. i deleted the drivers, and reinstalled and it still says offline.

very frustrating.
    adb device offline

unplug all devices and close all emulators
    on cmd type

adb kill-server
    then
    adb start server

now plug in your device or start emulator
    in cmd type

adb devices

now it's online... i hope

don't forget that in linux you must type ./adb in stead of adb