Rooting/Custom Rom-ing hesitation due to KNOX

Search This thread

qilrfn

Apr 24, 2013
Hello all,

I've searched all over XDA and Google, to give me definitive answer about issue i am about to raise, i rooted and put custom roms on all my previous samsung/htc devices, and WAS about to do the same for my Note 3 (its a beastly device, and doesnt need modifications, however it has been a routine for me to root and put custom roms into any devices that i've used)

Now the issue is this:

Yes, i've read about KNOX security system that Samsung has implemented, which would trip a counter and supposedly locked the bootloader of the phone, i've also read that due to the e-fuse that has been implemented, my Note 3 internals could be damaged due to it (?), and also i wouldnt be able to go back to the old version/bootloader as it will be parmanently locked by Samsung if i flash using Odin.

Do take note..that my Note 3 is not under warranty..so if KNOX triggers, it doesnt matter for me , as i wont be going to my local phone shop or official Samsung Officials (there isnt one here in my country) if anything would happen to my device. However i do need to know if its gonna mess with my device due to the e-fuse.

My questions are these..

1) If i root it, using CF's method as i usually do..and will definately put Custom Rom in it...and that will trigger KNOX for sure..will it destroy the internals? say the MOBO..and the phone will be rendered useless and become an expensive paperweight (i dont have warranty, so no replacements)

2) If i use for e.g Omega Rom which released two versions, one, with 4.3 JB and one, with 4.4 KitKat...will i be able to go back and forth for e.g 4.4 to 4.3 as well as jumping to different custom roms with diffrent Android versions?! as i usually do with me previous devices

Thanks and i will definately delete this thread once i'm fully convinced that rooting , putting roms should be avoided or ''Since you dont care about tripping knox, go ahead and do it as ur previous devices'' kinda answer..

Truly Sorry if you guys come across this question already..i've searched for it and come to no avail.. this is my last resort. Thnks XDA and everyone.:good:

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
My questions are these..

1) If i root it, using CF's method as i usually do..and will definately put Custom Rom in it...and that will trigger KNOX for sure..will it destroy the internals? say the MOBO..and the phone will be rendered useless and become an expensive paperweight (i dont have warranty, so no replacements)

2) If i use for e.g Omega Rom which released two versions, one, with 4.3 JB and one, with 4.4 KitKat...will i be able to go back and forth for e.g 4.4 to 4.3 as well as jumping to different custom roms with diffrent Android versions?! as i usually do with me previous devices

Thanks and i will definately delete this thread once i'm fully convinced that rooting , putting roms should be avoided or ''Since you dont care about tripping knox, go ahead and do it as ur previous devices'' kinda answer..

Truly Sorry if you guys come across this question already..i've searched for it and come to no avail.. this is my last resort. Thnks XDA and everyone.:good:

Firstly wrong section - should go to Q&A :p

1) -- Well you can mess up if you don't follow the right methods (not hard)

2) you can only be on one, if you use 4.3 BL you can't use 4.4 and vice versa... once you go to 4.4 you cannot downgrade back to 4.3 unless you have an N900w8

Generally, rooting/custom ROM's won't hurt your device, just make sure you have the right ROM/Kernel and make the proper backups if needed.

Disable Reactivation Lock, and read about backing up your EFS and how to get out of it if it goes mad (which it sometimes does at random)

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I think Radicalisto didn't make it clear enough: I'm not aware of tripped Knox flag affecting anything else on the phone except for warranty and inability to use Knox software. Any type of phone issues would probably be due to user error, or loaded software, not the flag itself.

qilrfn

Apr 24, 2013
Firstly wrong section - should go to Q&A :p

1) -- Well you can mess up if you don't follow the right methods (not hard)

2) you can only be on one, if you use 4.3 BL you can't use 4.4 and vice versa... once you go to 4.4 you cannot downgrade back to 4.3 unless you have an N900w8

Generally, rooting/custom ROM's won't hurt your device, just make sure you have the right ROM/Kernel and make the proper backups if needed.

Disable Reactivation Lock, and read about backing up your EFS and how to get out of it if it goes mad (which it sometimes does at random)

Thanks for answering first of all..will defo hit the thnx button..
for the 1) i always make sure i read the instructions and follow steps..no problem there..

2) this one tho..is a bit weird for me..i was able to do it on my note 2..going back and forth 4.3 to 4.1.2 cus i found the 4.1.2 more stable..i guess for note 3 i cant do that anymore? even if use custom roms to up/downgrade?

thnx for ur time..and will take ur advice next time on posting it at the q and a section (still learning)

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
ON 4.3 you once you go to MJ7 Bootloader you cannot downgrade -- however you can go to ML and MK bootloaders and go back to MJ7 again.

For some reason Samsung blocked a downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4 (as the Note shipped with 4.3 no logical reason to allow 4.2 imo) - but if you choose to move to 4.4. bootloader do be aware it can be buggy on some devices (NEE region also Hong Kong notes have issues) - If you have a read around you will see the issues people are having and not having with stock 4.4.

There's plenty of ROMs for both bootloaders CM works on both and most of the Stock based ROM dev's have moved up to the newest NB* Bootloader from NA* - I flashed 4.4 day it leaked (the next hour to be precise and I have had no issues)

Reactions: qilrfn

MxFadzil92

Apr 29, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for answering first of all..will defo hit the thnx button..
for the 1) i always make sure i read the instructions and follow steps..no problem there..

2) this one tho..is a bit weird for me..i was able to do it on my note 2..going back and forth 4.3 to 4.1.2 cus i found the 4.1.2 more stable..i guess for note 3 i cant do that anymore? even if use custom roms to up/downgrade?

thnx for ur time..and will take ur advice next time on posting it at the q and a section (still learning)

since note 3 came with 4.3 and currently latest stock is 4.4.2. even if u wanna go back to 4.3 from what i read around it is not possible. There are alot of aosp roms and stock rooted roms with all kinds of kernel build for both stock and aosp. Im sure if u were to follow the instructions given and do it diligently surely nthg goes wrong unless u overclock ur phone too high or flashing stuff which weren't meant for ur specific device then nthg to be afraid of. I sure glad i went ahead and root. Coz to me knox is a totally BS. all down to ur own preference. u like it u root it u use it. best is to keep reading different threads.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

qilrfn

Apr 24, 2013
ON 4.3 you once you go to MJ7 Bootloader you cannot downgrade -- however you can go to ML and MK bootloaders and go back to MJ7 again.

For some reason Samsung blocked a downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4 (as the Note shipped with 4.3 no logical reason to allow 4.2 imo) - but if you choose to move to 4.4. bootloader do be aware it can be buggy on some devices (NEE region also Hong Kong notes have issues) - If you have a read around you will see the issues people are having and not having with stock 4.4.

There's plenty of ROMs for both bootloaders CM works on both and most of the Stock based ROM dev's have moved up to the newest NB* Bootloader from NA* - I flashed 4.4 day it leaked (the next hour to be precise and I have had no issues)

Okay..so i would only flash 4.4 roms when Im really really convinced that its time for KitKat..but as of right now, i can only play around with 4.3 roms..ok..understood. You've cleared my doubts man, thanks a bunch and i guess its time to root and flash.

qilrfn

Apr 24, 2013
I think Radicalisto didn't make it clear enough: I'm not aware of tripped Knox flag affecting anything else on the phone except for warranty and inability to use Knox software. Any type of phone issues would probably be due to user error, or loaded software, not the flag itself.

I did read somewhere, the e-fuse is like an internal bomb..if i flag it, some sort of ''internal parts destroyer'' would be unleashed and mess up my device. I guess its just a rumour...hopefully.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
I did read somewhere, the e-fuse is like an internal bomb..if i flag it, some sort of ''internal parts destroyer'' would be unleashed and mess up my device. I guess its just a rumour...hopefully.

If it's not humour, there's gonna be a lot of angry Note owners here on XDA -- Some tripped KNOX accidently lol - I wouldn't worry too much in all honesty.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
An e-fuse is just a silicon bridge on the processor that gets burnt out. Once you burn the bridge it can't revert back.
This is technically damaging the internal hardware BUT this is due to Samsung software doing this so I don't see how they can claim we have damaged the hardware.... There should be no other problems resulting from this....

Reactions: Kamy

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
First of all, many people already claim their phones had Knox flag reset to zero by Samsung service centers. Either they're all lying (why?), there are more than one e-fuse inside and Samsung can simply reset software to ignore burned fuse and check next one, or the whole e-fuse story is made up and not true. Personally I lean towards the last possibility, for 2 reasons: e-fuse is permanent so couldn't be reset and if they're using multiple e-fuses then it is not more secure than encrypted software code and also possibly e-fuse could be defeated from tripping: I believe e-fuse needs higher than normal voltage to be burned out (otherwise it could burn accidentally) and that voltage is probably coming on separate rail, I wonder what would happen if one would either cut this high voltage or short it out, just during flag tripping operations.
Secondly many people tripped their Knox flags already, if there was some side effects, we would know about it already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

An e-fuse is just a silicon bridge on the processor that gets burnt out. Once you burn the bridge it can't revert back.
    This is technically damaging the internal hardware BUT this is due to Samsung software doing this so I don't see how they can claim we have damaged the hardware.... There should be no other problems resulting from this....