[Q] Need help with first time rooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Vo_1815

Jan 19, 2014
Hello,

So I've just rooted my SII and have even recovered it from softbricking it when I installed the wrong kernel... :rolleyes: Now I am looking for a custom ROM to finally get the type of customization I want from my phone. However since I have softbricked it so easily, I am now weary of installing any ROM that might fit my phone's specifications.

I am a rooky in rooting, but I have noticed that when selecting a new ROM you have to bear in mind the current kernel version, firmware and android version of my current phone. However I do not know what to look for to see if this ROM fits my phone's preferences and I was hoping one of you could help me with this issue. I'm looking for a highly customizable ROM that will speed up my phone and give me improved battery life. The one I thought would do the trick is: NeatRom.

Can someone tell me what is important to look for when selecting a ROM and if the NeatRom I selected is fit for my device.

My device:
Model: SGSII GT-i9100
Android version: 4.1.2
Firmware: I9100XXMS4
Kernelversion: 3.0.31-1418025dpi@dell226 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 25 18:29:28 KST 2013
Buildnr.: JZO54K.I9100XWMS1

Thank you!

Last edited:

Christiaan91

Mar 15, 2010
Everywhere
Hello,

So I've just rooted my SII and have even recovered it from softbricking it when I installed the wrong kernel... :rolleyes: Now I am looking for a custom ROM to finally get the type of customization I want from my phone. However since I have softbricked it so easily, I am now weary of installing any ROM that might fit my phone's specifications.

I am a rooky in rooting, but I have noticed that when selecting a new ROM you have to bear in mind the current kernel version, firmware and android version of my current phone. However I do not know what to look for to see if this ROM fits my phone's preferences and I was hoping one of you could help me with this issue. I'm looking for a highly customizable ROM that will speed up my phone and give me improved battery life. The one I thought would do the trick is: NeatRom.

Can someone tell me what is important to look for when selecting a ROM and if the NeatRom I selected is fit for my device.

My device:
Kernelversion: 3.0.31-1418025dpi@dell226 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 25 18:29:28 KST 2013

Thank you!

You can use NeatROM for your device.
Look in the op of that thread and follow the steps you need to do.
On second hand. You need help with rooting? Because you said that your phone is rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vo_1815

Vo_1815

Jan 19, 2014
On second hand. You need help with rooting? Because you said that your phone is rooted.

Thank you for your reply!

I have just succesfully installed this ROM. Pretty happy with the result untill google apps decided to start downloading all the bloatware back onto my device! Now there is no way to delete it. Not having bloatware was one of the reasons I decided to root my phone and install this ROM. I recon it is because I sync my Google account with my device so its starts downloading al the crap as soon as the installation is done.

Do you know how to undo the installation of the bloatware? Or some other way to prevent google apps from downloading all those horrible apps?

Christiaan91

Mar 15, 2010
Everywhere
Thank you for your reply!

I have just succesfully installed this ROM. Pretty happy with the result untill google apps decided to start downloading all the bloatware back onto my device! Now there is no way to delete it. Not having bloatware was one of the reasons I decided to root my phone and install this ROM. I recon it is because I sync my Google account with my device so its starts downloading al the crap as soon as the installation is done.

Do you know how to undo the installation of the bloatware? Or some other way to prevent google apps from downloading all those horrible apps?

You flash gapps after you flash the rom. So it's probably updating those apps. Maybe there other gapps packages for neatrom.
For instance my gapps package for slimsaber is only 56mb.
To uninstall these apps there are 2 options.
1. Settings - apps - slide to everything - here are all you apps. Most bloatware can be deleted.
2. apps are in /system/app (system apps) and /data/app (user apps) here you can deleted the apk's. But be very carefull because removing the wrong apk can make your system unstable.

My opinion is if you don't know what all apps are and what there for/doing, stick to option 1.

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Mod Edit

"Best" ROM/kernel threads are not allowed on XDA.
Please test these things for yourself.
This is the only way you will get an unbiased opinion,and then, you can decide for yourself if it meets YOUR needs.

Thread Closed

malybru
Forum Moderator

Reactions: MistahBungle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

My device:

Thank you!

Mod Edit

"Best" ROM/kernel threads are not allowed on XDA.
    Please test these things for yourself.
    This is the only way you will get an unbiased opinion,and then, you can decide for yourself if it meets YOUR needs.

Thread Closed

malybru
    Forum Moderator