Ouya vs MOJO questions

Search This thread

Pleiades7

Jan 21, 2014
I have a feeling the question answers itself, but...

There is really no PRO having a OUYA over the MOJO, right?

I'm really just interested in emulators older games (the PSX and N64) and don't feel the OUYA will be able to handle that.

But I noticed it's proprietary store with it's own apps. However, those are just android apps with OUYA skins? There's not some optimizations built into them that can come close to the MOJO's performance?

vostok4

Aug 20, 2010
In terms of hardware, the Tegra 4 GPU and CPU are more than just a generational jump over Tegra 3. There isn't really any PRO to having OUYA unless you are heavily invested in that ecosystem.

Reactions: gwaldo and Domomojo

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
The only PRO to an OUYA, as I mentioned in another post where you roughly asked the same question is that they have their own appstore where everything is guaranteed to be compatible and able to use. The MOJO is a far superior system, and the CTRLR is awesome.

gwaldo

Dec 30, 2013
Melb.
xpcoin.com
Ouya is a scam

I have a feeling the question answers itself, but...

There is really no PRO having a OUYA over the MOJO, right?

I'm really just interested in emulators older games (the PSX and N64) and don't feel the OUYA will be able to handle that.

But I noticed it's proprietary store with it's own apps. However, those are just android apps with OUYA skins? There's not some optimizations built into them that can come close to the MOJO's performance?

Oh don't get me started with ouya!
Firstly it's not worth $100 now (even back at launch!).
Every thing about Ouya is cheap.
CTRLR is 500% better then the Ouya controller - no start/select/media buttons, $50USD for a throw away controller??? LMAO!
16GB over 8GB
BT4 over BT2
MicroSD over nothing
USB2 and USB3 over just USB2
blah blah...

People were right to suggest buying a tablet with HDMI out then the ouya, and that's what I did also!
I don't want to spend $100 each year on cheap sh!t but many people do.
It's there business model to sell cheap hardware to children every year.. the MOJO is an teen/adult product for sure, that's why it's worth three times as much.

I wanted to believe in ouya as it was the first, but over time their talk and what they produce is two different things.
If you want to read my rant about this, it's here: http://xpcoin.com/2013/12/16/a-game-developers-analysis-of-the-mad-catz-mojo/

Everyone is waiting on KitKat, some doubt it will happen, but they have been saying it will come, so I don't see why it wouldn't.
For most things 4.4.2 is fine as is, it's a pain with google play, but there's ways around it for most apps.

If you are serious about emulating PSX and N64 why not build a small PC box??
Or better yet get the actual hardware and get a rom interface board ;)

mherma

Jan 11, 2014
Wheatfield, IN
CTRLR is 500% better then the Ouya controller - no start/select/media buttons, $50USD for a throw away controller??? LMAO!
16GB over 8GB
BT4 over BT2
MicroSD over nothing
blah blah...

People were right to suggest buying a tablet with HDMI out then the ouya, and that's what I did also!
It's there business model to sell cheap hardware to children every year.. the MOJO is an teen/adult product for sure, that's why it's worth three times as much.

I wanted to believe in ouya as it was the first, but over time their talk and what they produce is two different things.
If you want to read my rant about this, it's here: http://xpcoin.com/2013/12/16/a-game-developers-analysis-of-the-mad-catz-mojo/

Everyone is waiting on KitKat, some doubt it will happen, but they have been saying it will come, so I don't see why it wouldn't.
For most things 4.4.2 is fine as is, it's a pain with google play, but there's ways around it for most apps.

I don't think OUYA is necessarily a scam...come on now, for $100 you get an Android gaming console with controller - plus I think they were the first company out there that really got a lot of us excited about an Android gaming console.

What turned me off from OUYA is the fact of the closed app ecosystem, 8gb of storage, and that controller well....you know. But for $100? Might be good for the not-so power user of Android. Maybe they'll step up their game with the OUYA 2.

Right now though, I'm very happy with my MOJO. More and more games are becoming available almost week by week. I can't wait to see where were at in just 6 months time :cool:

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012

Heh..I've actually got one of my old desktops sitting behind the TV just for this purpose....Which is actually why I got the MOJO, so I didn't have to use the PC anymore. I do miss having a CD-ROM for my Saturn and PSX, though, but I ripped most of my PSX games and the ISO's work just as well.

Pleiades7

Jan 21, 2014
16GB over 8GB
BT4 over BT2
MicroSD over nothing
blah blah...

Tried the PC box thing, just didn't like the way it felt. So I jailbroke my PS3 and use retroXMB for most things. But the PS3 can't do PSX emulation right (only non-shader boot rome in MM which gives you no customizations options) and N64 is out of the question.

So spending $150 for a MOJO just for a couple of emulators (FPse and N64 and....if the gods smile upon me....a gamecube emulator, if that could handle it, but I can live without it) makes me a happy girl and saves me the hundreds of dollars for the PC box.

Yes, I got my MOJO for $150. They had a quick sale on Amazon and got lucky. Ironically, as much as I love it, I probably wouldn't pay $250 since at that point I might as well just buy a custom PC. But, hell, $150 for a micro console that is essentially an major improvement on the OUYA priced at around the same price is/was a no-brainer.

Thx guys for all the advice. Im a dummie when it comes to this stuff and appreciate the clarification!

gwaldo

Dec 30, 2013
Melb.
xpcoin.com
Ouya

I don't think OUYA is necessarily a scam...come on now, for $100 you get an Android gaming console with controller - plus I think they were the first company out there that really got a lot of us excited about an Android gaming console.

Claiming to be an emulation device when their controllers don't have start/select, I call this profiting at the expense of it's fans! :mad:
When they launched, their controller was $30, after they launched it went to $50, I call this extortion! :eek:
All games free to play but require a Credit Card at setup! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :confused:
The 'Free the games' fund benifited larger studios while publicly shafting the the indie devs it claimed to support from the start!!! :crying:
WHAT IF I REACH MY FUNDING GOAL BUT FALL SHORT OF RAISING $50K OR MISS MY FUNDING GOAL ENTIRELY? IS MY PROJECT STILL REQUIRED TO BE AN OUYA EXCLUSIVE?
No. We only require the 6-month OUYA exclusivity if we provide funds for your project out of the $1M Free the Games Fund (e.g., you successfully reach your funding objective, surpass $50,000 in funding, and therefore receive matched funds from us). Of course, if you don’t meet your Kickstarter goal at all, then maybe that means you can’t afford to make a game. We’ll be sad, of course, but we’ll understand if the game you can’t afford to make isn’t on OUYA.

Yeah, I call Ouya a scam:laugh:

It might have been the first 'microconsole' but it has zero integrity to me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In terms of hardware, the Tegra 4 GPU and CPU are more than just a generational jump over Tegra 3. There isn't really any PRO to having OUYA unless you are heavily invested in that ecosystem.