[Q] Why is Bluetooth taking up like 60 MB RAM?

Search This thread

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
When I am in my car I have a Bluetooth receiver that pipes my podcasts and music to my oldstyle car stereo through cassette adapter (my FM sucks) and I realized Bluetooth in apps is taking up anywhere between 6 and 60 MB of RAM (?!) and if I tried to multitask, like dial phone / voice search while my podcast player (Doggcatcher, which takes up like 70 MB by itself), with a few other apps loaded, the phone goes into minfree purge cycle and started purging both Bluetooth AND the audio player.

So is Bluetooth taking up to 60 MB of RAM? I don't ever transmit data with Bluetooth, only audio. Any way to limit the amount of RAM used by Bluetooth share app? Don't see that configuration anywhere.

tombaldwin6

Aug 30, 2010
Simi Valley
When I am in my car I have a Bluetooth receiver that pipes my podcasts and music to my oldstyle car stereo through cassette adapter (my FM sucks) and I realized Bluetooth in apps is taking up anywhere between 6 and 60 MB of RAM (?!) and if I tried to multitask, like dial phone / voice search while my podcast player (Doggcatcher, which takes up like 70 MB by itself), with a few other apps loaded, the phone goes into minfree purge cycle and started purging both Bluetooth AND the audio player.

So is Bluetooth taking up to 60 MB of RAM? I don't ever transmit data with Bluetooth, only audio. Any way to limit the amount of RAM used by Bluetooth share app? Don't see that configuration anywhere.

I have no idea about your question. However I'd like to ask you about your bluetooth cassete adaptor. How's the volume on that ? I've got a 94 Z28 with a factory Bose system in that does alright and currently I use a cassette adaptor that plugs into my headphone slot on phone. I'm warry to make the change because I read a review saying the volume was really low . Is that true ? What about pairing and charging is that difficult to do with them ?

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Well, I'll tell you exact what I got:

EDUP EP-B3511 Handsfree Bluetooth 3 Receiver / Adapter

Ignore that silver thing. That's a plug gender changer. Pull it out and you can plug the "headset" thing from cassette adapter into the same place. On the other side is a MicroUSB plug for power/charging. So I basically find another MicroUSB auto-plug (I have a 1-to-4 12V vehicle power adapter) to feed this.

Pairing is painless. First time you start it up, the powerbutton has blue and red LEDs with fast flashing. Which means it's waiting for pairing. Pair it from your phone, scan for EP-B3511, and it'll pair automatically from almost any smartphone. it has its own little battery but just leave it plugged in, IMHO. When you come back to the vehicle (I have a car dock for my phone) I plug that in, then hold the adapter's button for about 3-5 seconds, and it will re-pair with the phone.

Volume... Seem to be okay, and you can always pump it up from either the stereo itself or from the phone. I usually don't have to.

The adapter can also show under MPOW or some other brands.

Last edited: