help - 2 arias rendom reboot

Search This thread

strykme

Dec 7, 2008
New York
Looking for help/suggestions.
I have 2 aria that developed random reboot for no apparent reason...
My work aria was rooted and s-off running cm7.1 for about a month with no issues, I've flashed kang cm7.2 and all seemed ok, but the next morning the phone was dead (it was at 50% before going to sleep). charged it in the morning (the battery was 0%), came to work and while it was on my desk the phone rebooted and continued to do that through out the day. At home, i did factory reset, did not help. I've put it back to s-on and put back the stack ATT 2.2, same results, continues to re-boot at random intervals. Thinking it was hardware, got my job to get me a different phone.
3 weeks later, my wife's aria (rooted but still s-on) running cm7.1 started to run extremely slow and battery would drain in about 5 hours. I've done factory reset, clear everything and it still doing random re-boots just like my aria.
With one aria, I thought that it was a hardware issue, but now 2 arias, looks like os/software. Resetting/ re flashing does not help.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

dimon2242

Jul 15, 2008
Moscow
was such a problem! htc aria repaired and the problem was in nand module! I advise to contact the warranty service center!

strykme

Dec 7, 2008
New York
was such a problem! htc aria repaired and the problem was in nand module! I advise to contact the warranty service center!

Thank you, I gave mine back at work, my wife's is out of warranty. Interesting that both of them developed the same problem (i haven't touched wife's in months). Do you know what may cause such a problem?

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Did you try doing "format system" before doing a clean install? Also make sure you are using a recent version of Clockworkmod (5.x).

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Running CM-7.2.0-RC for about a month and the Airia just started random rebooting this morning. Nothing changed except some software updates -- such as Google Maps.

I restored to a NAndroid backup from 3 weeks ago and it still random reboots. Suspecting a hardware problem, I even put the SD card in another Airia and restored the older NAndroid backup, but still having the reboot problem.

Any thoughts?

dust906

Jun 16, 2010
Running CM-7.2.0-RC for about a month and the Airia just started random rebooting this morning. Nothing changed except some software updates -- such as Google Maps.

I restored to a NAndroid backup from 3 weeks ago and it still random reboots. Suspecting a hardware problem, I even put the SD card in another Airia and restored the older NAndroid backup, but still having the reboot problem.

Any thoughts?

yea i do
malware
wipe the phone , then check it out

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
I have performed factory resets and all other formats and clear functions in Clockworkmod. Should I refomate the SD card too?

Sent from my Liberty using XDA

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
I still have not solved the random reboot issues. I have two Arias with the exact same problem. I think I somehow contaminated the 2nd phone by swaping SD cards and loading a Nandroid backup from the 1st phone. Both phones are rooted.

I have tried loading 4 roms -- Liberated, CM7.1 stable, CM7.2 RC and Menjeni's version of CM9 and have the exact same random reboot problem Seems like the phones works for anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour and then reboot.

When I load the different ROMs I wipe everything -- the factory data reset, all the caches and re-formats that CWM offers. I also reformatted the SD card and reloaded CWM via Rom Manger in an effort to completely clean the phone. I also ran two a virus/malware scans on the phone and SD card -- which found no errors.

Is there something else I can do to further clean the phones? Since the same problem is with both phones, I seriously doubt its a hardware problem.

Anyone interested in purchasing 2 somewhat functioning Arias?

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
HBOOT 6.02.1002

Thanks for trying to help me with this!

OK. I'm assuming you have an AT&T Aria. If not let me know.

Here's what I'd suggest you do. I'm basically trying the most extreme steps to correct the issue so we can verify if the issue is something that can be corrected or not.

1) Reformat your SD card(s) with SD Formatter 3.1. This tool sometimes fixes hard to detect problems that aren't corrected when formatting with other methods. (Default settings are fine.)

2) Run the AT&T 2.2.2 RUU to revert your phone to almost 100% stock. I say almost because the RUU will NOT change your HBOOT, which means even after doing this process, you will still have S-OFF.

3) Try using the phone with the stock unmodified ROM to see if you experience the random reboots you described. If you do, the rest of the steps are not necessary and it's probably a hardware issue.

4) Install CWM by putting your phone into FASTBOOT mode, then using the Android Flasher utility to install the latest version of Clockworkmod. Use this version: http://www.mediafire.com/?lg6b63aqpi1cvbg (source). If you know how to do this from command line with the fastboot command line tool, that is fine too.

5) Boot into CWM. Do factory reset/wipe data and format system partition. Then install the ROM of your choice. I'd suggest something like a recent version of CM7 since it is very stable. If using CM7, install 20110828 gapps immediately after flashing CM7. Reboot and see how it goes.

Even if you already downloaded any of the above files, delete them and download them again this time around (or check the md5 sums if you know how). It's possible the files were corrupted when you downloaded them before and that is why you keep having problems.

Also, as an aside: Are you using third-party batteries with your devices?

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Aria random reboot

Thanks drumist for all you advice! When I did my last attempt at a clean install, I used a spare SD card that had never been in the phone.

Both phones are AT&T Arias with the original batteries. I liked the Aria size so much that I upgraded my wife's expired Iphone contract when AT&T was providing a free Aria upgrade just to have a spare in case I damaged one by rooting. Now I have managed to mess up both phones!

I was thinking my next step would be to go back to a stock state, as you recommend. I was thinking of going even further and un-rooting and S-On. Do you think the problem could be in the Hboot partition? And wouldn't going back to S-on replace the Hboot?

I still think I somehow contaminated the 2nd phone by restoring a Nandriod backup from the first phone. The 2nd phone was working find until I did the restore.

Regardless, I will try what you suggest and let you know the results.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
I was thinking my next step would be to go back to a stock state, as you recommend. I was thinking of going even further and un-rooting and S-On. Do you think the problem could be in the Hboot partition? And wouldn't going back to S-on replace the Hboot?

Reverting the HBOOT to stock (and yes, returning to S-ON) has some risk -- i.e., if you make a mistake during the process, you can permanently brick the device, so I wouldn't recommend that except as a last resort. The RUU will reflash every other partition on your phone back to stock besides the HBOOT and is safe to do, so stick with that.

I still think I somehow contaminated the 2nd phone by restoring a Nandriod backup from the first phone. The 2nd phone was working find until I did the restore.

Yeah, it's possible. If that is the case, though, the HBOOT wouldn't be the problem (because Nandroid backups do not touch the HBOOT). The RUU will reflash every partition that Nandroid touches.

If you already tried using a different SD card, then I wouldn't worry about using that SD Formatter tool.

Last edited:

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Can't find a copy of the AT&T 2.2.2 RUU. They took it off the HTC website. The instructions there are for an OTA update, which I can't do since I'm not running the stock rom.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Never mind. I found a copy of the RUU on my laptop.

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
I have installed the hboot drivers and the phone shows up as a device on my computer, but the RUU says it can't find my phone. I am running Windows 7, if that makes any difference.

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Got the RUU to load from an XP machine. Bad news is that the phone still randomly reboots.

I guess the only other step is to un-root and S-On. What have I got to lose. Can't use the phones as they are now.

Got a good way to do this?

Last edited: