Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM02 in-ear monitors w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

ashphoenix

Jan 15, 2012
This is pretty impressive. Detachable cables are a big plus! I wish they had bi-flange tips though,

I think I might actually go for this one... just one query: I know it's probably a wrong comparison to do because of the formats; but how do they compare, sound quality and feel wise, in your experience, with the ATH-M50?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is pretty impressive. Detachable cables are a big plus! I wish they had bi-flange tips though,

I think I might actually go for this one... just one query: I know it's probably a wrong comparison to do because of the formats; but how do they compare, sound quality and feel wise, in your experience, with the ATH-M50?

You can buy eartips for a few bucks :)

M50 and IM02 are in two different worlds, not even apples and oranges lol!!! M50 is over ear dynamic drivers with warm bassy sound, decent clarity, and not much of a transparency (detailed separation of different instruments). Those are my favorite listening headphones on laptop when I watch YT channels or just background listening; very good build and easy to take on/off or use in Dj-style with one earcup. But they are NOT audiophile quality headphones. IM02 are very analytical and detailed. If you were looking for Etymotic as your original choice, M50 is not for you. Btw, Audio Technica also released ATH-IM50 and IM70 dual dynamic driver in-ears but only available in Japan. That IM50 is more on par with M50 in terms of very strong bass, but you are not going to get the same level of details and instrument separation as you get with balanced armature drivers of IM02.

Reactions: ashphoenix

ashphoenix

Jan 15, 2012

M50 and IM02 are in two different worlds, not even apples and oranges lol!!! M50 is over ear dynamic drivers with warm bassy sound, decent clarity, and not much of a transparency (detailed separation of different instruments). Those are my favorite listening headphones on laptop when I watch YT channels or just background listening; very good build and easy to take on/off or use in Dj-style with one earcup. But they are NOT audiophile quality headphones. IM02 are very analytical and detailed. If you were looking for Etymotic as your original choice, M50 is not for you. Btw, Audio Technica also released ATH-IM50 and IM70 dual dynamic driver in-ears but only available in Japan. That IM50 is more on par with M50 in terms of very strong bass, but you are not going to get the same level of details and instrument separation as you get with balanced armature drivers of IM02.

Thanks for the explanation, that clarified a lot -- I think I'm now sold on IM02...

Now just waiting for the X5 to hit the US market!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
How's the sound signature compared to the UE 900? (Details, Soundstage)

Different beasts :) I had IM02 as a review loaner for a very short time awhile ago, so can only go by memory. Their soundstage was comparable, nothing out of this world, above average. In terms of details, I want to say that IM02 was more analytical versus UE900 being more balanced with a better bass quantity and smoother upper mids/treble (though a bit peaky as well). IM02 is in category of Etymotic and Zero Audio Doppios where you have brutally honest details which can also get borderline sibilant. UE900 and W40 are smoother and more forgiving, better for enjoyable non-fatigue listening. BUT in my book the king of all reviewed IEMs (from my list) is indisputably ATH-IM03. You get the ear-friendly details and da bass!!!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi vectron
Very nice, how about the IM04? Did AT also sent you one?

No, didn't get. I don't think AT is pushing IM01 and IM04 too much and I haven't seen too much discussions about it on Head-fi. If you want a comprehensive comparison, you need to check out earfonia thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/rev...-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70

I think with IM04 price going up, you might be dealing with diminishing returns ;) but for sure it might be more refined. I only tested IM02 and IM03, where found IM03 to be more suited for my preferred sound sig (with lunashops silver-plated upgrade cable). IM02 is more analytical/details, while IM03 has more bass impact and smoother at the top.

Btw, waiting to receive CKR9 and CKR10 review samples in the next few weeks. AT US is finally going to carry these, and I heard only great things about it! Dual dynamic driver in push-pull config, can't go wrong with that ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.