[APP][-v1.0.1-][14/6/11]AppGrouper, a simple, catagorised app launcher for android.

Search This thread

MacDegger

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 20, 2008
[OK, got some stuff done this weekend (not too much, got some family going over to a different country for a year, so they had to be ... sent off, merrily :p)]

It seems that with every mobile OS released, I hate the way you launch apps. I always end up with tons of apps and it always gets tedious to find and launch the one I want quickly.

To solve that, I've made AppGrouper. It's a quick, simple, catagorised application launcher. The idea is to pin the app to your homescreen, and launch your apps from there. It frees up all that homescreen real-estate into just one button:

snap20110419_034356.png

snap20110419_034746.png

You add apps by just hitting the "ADD APP" icon or long clicking on any app icon after you've added an app to a category. You can add category buttons (or rename/delete them) by long clicking on a category button.

This is version 1.0 of my first android app, so be gentle :p

Nah, just kidding: send/post everything and anything you find broken (I don't expect much to be) or would like different or to be added. Don't be shy :) Even if you don't like the colour :p

PS: this works great on my Desire HD, both on Froyo and Gingerbread. I'm real curious to know if it works on other devices!

--UPDATE 14/6/11--
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It really helps!

Anyway, I posted v1.0.1:
-fixed scrolling issue
-cleaned up interface (you won't notice ... much)
-code cleanup (removed some calls which were unnecessary)

Still working on:
-swipe gesture
-multi-select of apps to be added to group
-getting the app to recognize that your trying to launch the context menu when you hit an empty GridView item (Man, that's obtuse! I really don't want to write my own onTouch listener and throw away the contextmenu code :( )

Also, ITS IN THE MARKET!!!11!!01!
So, if you're using this (as I suspect a few of you are :p), donate me a cup of coffee for the hours I've been putting into this by buying it on the market, please! Thanks! Maybe I can take my girlfriend out to celebrate :)

AppGrouper Market link

And, as usual, keep the feedback coming!

Attachments

• AppGrouper.apk
    249.5 KB · Views: 1,245
  • AppGrouperMarketQRCode.png
    AppGrouperMarketQRCode.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

MacDegger

Dec 20, 2008
Finally... I uploaded a draft apk to Market, so now you guys get a shot :) Let me know if it works for you and what changes you'd like and what advice you have!

Reactions: whyzee

cyber_pete

Jan 12, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Just installed and testing it out, really like what I see so far. One issue I have found. Selecting transparent background does not stick. The next time I launch the app the background is back to default.

And a suggestion, you might want to make adding additional apps once the first one has been added more intuitive. I had to try several different options before I found I needed to long press the existing shortcut to add new one.

Great work.

EDIT - I have an Inspire running CoreDroid 6.7.

MacDegger

Dec 20, 2008
Ah ... uh ... :) Heh, the transparency thing :) Yeah, I should fix that. I just never use that option, so I kinda left that to v1.0.0.1 :)

As for the shortcut adding, what would you say would be a better way of doing that? Just adding a "help" menu explaining it, add a menu option to "add shortcut", allow right clicking the free space next to the icons ... any suggestions are welcome!

Reactions: Taxi341

cyber_pete

Jan 12, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Ah ... uh ... :) Heh, the transparency thing :) Yeah, I should fix that. I just never use that option, so I kinda left that to v1.0.0.1 :)

As for the shortcut adding, what would you say would be a better way of doing that? Just adding a "help" menu explaining it, add a menu option to "add shortcut", allow right clicking the free space next to the icons ... any suggestions are welcome!

I was thinking long press anywhere in the open space (that's what I tried first) or "add shortcut" in the menu. You could do both if you want to cover all bases. I think long press should be adequate though. Maybe short press and icon to change it. I will keep testing and send anymore feedback your way.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
DesertWolf1971 said:
I was thinking long press anywhere in the open space (that's what I tried first) or "add shortcut" in the menu. You could do both if you want to cover all bases. I think long press should be adequate though. Maybe short press and icon to change it. I will keep testing and send anymore feedback your way.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App.

I agree with making it a long press to add shortcut. Running smooth on my captivate on 2.3.3

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
I already use Apps Organizer, do I have any reason to potentially switch? Just wondering how this app is unique when apps like Apps Organizer and other app categorizers have been around since nearly Android's inception.. Pardon me if I am uninformed

chris5304

Dec 9, 2004
Well, it's nice to have choices. Try them all and keep whichever you like best. So far I like this one just fine. Well done dev.

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
My understanding is that something that this app offers and Apps Organizer doesn't is that you access your apps by launching the app itself rather than a shortcut or a widget.

The upside of that approach is that it should work with any launcher and any dock. Regina Launcher, for instance, only supports apps in its dock so that's a perfect solution for that.

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
I already use Apps Organizer, do I have any reason to potentially switch? Just wondering how this app is unique when apps like Apps Organizer and other app categorizers have been around since nearly Android's inception.. Pardon me if I am uninformed

Not only that but I've been using a app called "Auto App Organizer" for some months now that automatically categorizes (or manual upon installation) all your installed apps like Apps,Games,Fun,Internet,System,Multimedia etc etc. You can also set shortcut icons on home screen to the categories that open as folders when clicked on home. This is the best and most efficient way ive found of installing/organizing our app shortcuts.

@ OP

If you want some ideas you should really have a look at this app.

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
One thing I think would be kind of nice is being able to rearrange or sort apps in each group. Like if I wanted them alphabetical but I added an app that starts with the letter a after I had already made the group

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA Premium App
---------------------------------
Jill plays tricks, Jack plays God

d31b0y

Jan 28, 2009
You should add a notification icon for easier access in different locations.

It's nice so far though. The icon looks great on the dock bar of launcherpro.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

anXy

Nov 25, 2010
Getting a force close on 2.3 darky rom when trying to add an item and rotating the screen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

anXy

Nov 25, 2010
And in addition to the problem mentioned above:

Could you add:

- a gesture to swap between categories
- an option to size categories (to get a bigger bracket even though you use an abbrevation like "dev")
- sorting personally or alphabetically
- various appearance options --> design =]

But try to keep it simple because categorization programmes like mentioned above are way too overloaded in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

rkmoray

Apr 21, 2005
www.lensea.com
I have added 1 app, but it will not allow me ot ad any more.
The "add app" icon was replaced by the app I selected.

I am running on Atrix on 2.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [OK, got some stuff done this weekend (not too much, got some family going over to a different country for a year, so they had to be ... sent off, merrily :p)]

It seems that with every mobile OS released, I hate the way you launch apps. I always end up with tons of apps and it always gets tedious to find and launch the one I want quickly.

To solve that, I've made AppGrouper. It's a quick, simple, catagorised application launcher. The idea is to pin the app to your homescreen, and launch your apps from there. It frees up all that homescreen real-estate into just one button:

snap20110419_034356.png

snap20110419_034746.png

You add apps by just hitting the "ADD APP" icon or long clicking on any app icon after you've added an app to a category. You can add category buttons (or rename/delete them) by long clicking on a category button.

This is version 1.0 of my first android app, so be gentle :p

Nah, just kidding: send/post everything and anything you find broken (I don't expect much to be) or would like different or to be added. Don't be shy :) Even if you don't like the colour :p

PS: this works great on my Desire HD, both on Froyo and Gingerbread. I'm real curious to know if it works on other devices!

--UPDATE 14/6/11--
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It really helps!

Anyway, I posted v1.0.1:
    -fixed scrolling issue
    -cleaned up interface (you won't notice ... much)
    -code cleanup (removed some calls which were unnecessary)

Still working on:
    -swipe gesture
    -multi-select of apps to be added to group
    -getting the app to recognize that your trying to launch the context menu when you hit an empty GridView item (Man, that's obtuse! I really don't want to write my own onTouch listener and throw away the contextmenu code :( )

Also, ITS IN THE MARKET!!!11!!01!
    So, if you're using this (as I suspect a few of you are :p), donate me a cup of coffee for the hours I've been putting into this by buying it on the market, please! Thanks! Maybe I can take my girlfriend out to celebrate :)

AppGrouper Market link

And, as usual, keep the feedback coming!
    Finally... I uploaded a draft apk to Market, so now you guys get a shot :) Let me know if it works for you and what changes you'd like and what advice you have!