Private Mode Question

Search This thread

sporklover

Nov 12, 2007
Background: I'm on a stock rooted rom. After I rooted Private Mode still worked. Now it does not for some reason.

So I have a few questions.

1. Any idea of where private mode stores the files? I had a few GB of data stored in there, now that its not working I want to make sure I no longer have those files clogging up precious GBs on device storage.

2. Is the only way to get it back is to re-flash the stock rom?

3. I think I might have broken Private Mode by trying out ART. Now when I go into Developer Options, I notice that it always says Dalvik....When I switch to ART and reboot, and check the Developer options, it still says Dalvik. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any thoughts

babygau

Jun 22, 2011
Melbourne
Background: I'm on a stock rooted rom. After I rooted Private Mode still worked. Now it does not for some reason.

1. Any idea of where private mode stores the files? I had a few GB of data stored in there, now that its not working I want to make sure I no longer have those files clogging up precious GBs on device storage.

3. I think I might have broken Private Mode by trying out ART. Now when I go into Developer Options, I notice that it always says Dalvik....When I switch to ART and reboot, and check the Developer options, it still says Dalvik. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any thoughts

1. It doesn't double up your data, Private Mode only encrypt your data which you want to keep your data safe, so it's just right where your data is supposed to be
2. Unless you disable your private mode before re-flash rom, you will lose access to your encrypted data. what's the point of privacy when you just simply reflash to get yours back, so anyone can do that
3. You might be using xposed framework, it will not let you switch to ART runtime

Reactions: sporklover

sporklover

Nov 12, 2007
1. It doesn't double up your data, Private Mode only encrypt your data which you want to keep your data safe, so it's just right where your data is supposed to be
2. Unless you disable your private mode before re-flash rom, you will lose access to your encrypted data. what's the point of privacy when you just simply reflash to get yours back, so anyone can do that
3. You might be using xposed framework, it will not let you switch to ART runtime

1. I'm not worried about doubling up on data, just don't want tobstorr files I can no longer access.

Unfortunately your answer about the files are where they are supposed to be isn't descriptive enough. The files I had in private mode were originally on my SD card but with private mode enabled I used the Samsung My Files app to move them to the private folder in that app. So it moved those files just not sure where.

2.I'm not trying to regain access to those files just asking a general question about getting private mode functional again. Is the only way to refladh a stock ROM.

3. I'm fairly certain I didn't install xposed.

I'm going to dive into a few other threads. I see there are files I can modify to manually switch between the two. I'll make sure I'm not in ART.

thanks!!

babygau

Jun 22, 2011
Melbourne
1. I'm not worried about doubling up on data, just don't want tobstorr files I can no longer access.

Unfortunately your answer about the files are where they are supposed to be isn't descriptive enough. The files I had in private mode were originally on my SD card but with private mode enabled I used the Samsung My Files app to move them to the private folder in that app. So it moved those files just not sure where.

2.I'm not trying to regain access to those files just asking a general question about getting private mode functional again. Is the only way to refladh a stock ROM.

3. I'm fairly certain I didn't install xposed.

I'm going to dive into a few other threads. I see there are files I can modify to manually switch between the two. I'll make sure I'm not in ART.

thanks!!

1. Private Mode doesn't move your files to anywhere, your files are located at their original place. It just encrypted your data with a 'key' and use that 'key' to mark and decrypt them when needed

2. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that you will have to reflash a Stock Rom again.

3. Are you on Stock Rom? ART runtime seems not to work well with deodexed ROM.

sporklover

Nov 12, 2007
1. Private Mode doesn't move your files to anywhere, your files are located at their original place. It just encrypted your data with a 'key' and use that 'key' to mark and decrypt them when needed

2. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that you will have to reflash a Stock Rom again.

3. Are you on Stock Rom? ART runtime seems not to work well with deodexed ROM.

1. When added files to the Private Files folder (Only visible in Private Mode) in the stock Samsung My Files app, those files were moved from my SD card to internal memory. I verified this by checking the storage usage. SD card usage was decremented by the same amount the internal storage increased.

2. I was afraid of that. Not sure I'll actually do it.

3. 100% certain stock room, just rooted with Chainfire. Odexed and everything.

I might have to do some additional reading. I know that after you root you have the option to disable Knox (which breaks private mode). I didn't disable knox, but I'll research which processes are frozen/stopped by disabling knox and see if restarting them can get private mode working again.... or if its even possible perhaps reinstalling knox/private mode without re-flashing.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for any thoughts