No OTA or Unlock list. Please submit.

Search This thread

rbrmfld

Jul 10, 2012
Mine still remains unable to receive the updates.
It said there was an update, and it failed. When I try to see if there are anymore updates, it says that there aren't any. I'm still stuck on .21 also.

Blueback22

Dec 22, 2010
Bothell, WA
I can't find one thread dedicated to finding out why we can't OTA or Unlock, or both. Hopefully somebody will be able to look at this list and figure out what's going on. Once we gather a significant amount of submissions, I'll be writing to Asus with this thread as reference. Please submit the following:

1. First 6 digits of your serial
2. OTA Update: Yes or No
3. Manual update: Yes or No
4. Firmware version: .21 .22 .26 etc.
5. Were you able to unlock: Yes or No
6. Root: Yes or No
If anybody thinks something else should be added to this list please let me know.

Mine:

1. C6OKAS
2. OTA - Unconfirmed, manually updated to .26
3. Manual update - Yes
4. Firmware : .26
5. Unlock: Yes
6. Root: Yes

UPDATE: Even with the limited number of responses so far there is already a pattern forming. It seems that if you can't OTA, you cant Unlock either. Sounds like an issue with Asus not communicating with our devices properly, as a few of you have guessed already. Please keep submitting so we can build a larger data pool.

UPDATE: As of 11:00pm PST, the unlock apk just worked. Been trying since the day it came out and tonight it just randomly worked. I urge all of you to check to see if it's working for you and please update with results.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

1. C6OKAS
2. OTA - no, manually updated to .26
3. Manual update - Yes
5. Unlock: unknown

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
1. C6OKAS
2. OTA--no
3. manual update--n/a
4. firmware version--21
5. unlock--finally, Aug 7 12
6. root--yes
7. 32GB (GR)

Couldn't OTA but finally got unlock. Strange, but I'm glad it was an "ASUS-side" issue and I was able to sever that umbilical on the quick fast!

BeverageNinja

Jun 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Anyone know what the difference is between C60KAS and C70KAS? At first I thought it was the difference between 32GB and 64GB but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm wondering if there are any improvements on build quality. Like the clicking screen over the speaker or light bleed on the right and bottom right of the screen? Mine has both of these issues, although the clicking isn't as bad on mine, and my serial number is C60KAS. Any clue?

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Anyone know what the difference is between C60KAS and C70KAS? At first I thought it was the difference between 32GB and 64GB but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm wondering if there are any improvements on build quality. Like the clicking screen over the speaker or light bleed on the right and bottom right of the screen? Mine has both of these issues, although the clicking isn't as bad on mine, and my serial number is C60KAS. Any clue?

Refers to the date the device was manufactured. C6 is June, C7 is July. Pretty soon we'll start seeing C8 August.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I see nothing from ASUS

1. C7OKAS
2. OTA - manually updated to .26 within hours of receiving the tab.
3. Manual update - Yes
5. Unlock: No (scared to do it)
6. Root: No (afraid to do it)

paddycr

Jan 25, 2012
OnePlus 8T
I got my Infinity last night :D. After getting it out of the box the .26 and dock updates appeared almost instantly after entering my network and Google passwords. Actually, I was really surprised how quickly they were there (my connection is not that quick!). This is probably a really dumb question but were these actual OTAs downloaded from the ASUS server or is there a chance that the updates could have been put on the sdcard and installed when the tablet was first fired up?? Did everyone receive their updates so quickly?

1. C7OKAS
2. OTA - maybe (see above)
3. Manual update - No
5. Unlock: Not yet - waiting to see if I have a good 'un!

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
The update process actually sends only the IMEI to ASUS servers, not the S/N, so unless they do another check on their side, it is even more irrelevant in this case.

tha_kreature

Jul 5, 2012
I got my Infinity last night :D. After getting it out of the box the .26 and dock updates appeared almost instantly after entering my network and Google passwords. Actually, I was really surprised how quickly they were there (my connection is not that quick!). This is probably a really dumb question but were these actual OTAs downloaded from the ASUS server or is there a chance that the updates could have been put on the sdcard and installed when the tablet was first fired up?? Did everyone receive their updates so quickly?

1. C7OKAS
2. OTA - maybe (see above)
3. Manual update - No
5. Unlock: Not yet - waiting to see if I have a good 'un!

There is no sdcard with the tablet. You have to buy one.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

The update process actually sends only the IMEI to ASUS servers, not the S/N, so unless they do another check on their side, it is even more irrelevant in this case.

The non 3G/LTE tablets do not have an IMEI.

tha_kreature

Jul 5, 2012
When I said sdcard I meant /sdcard, which I am sure you know is the internal memory not /Removable/MicroSD, which is the address for an external sdcard. Confusing eh?

True, that is a stupid naming probably resulting in an attempt of being compatible.
Still, it was easy to assume you though it was the other one.

bckldwn

Mar 19, 2012
Toronto
Nexus 7 (2013)
anyone else have C7OKAS (.26) and still can't unlock? I'm getting "an unknown error has occured, might be network connection issue, please try again later.".. something along those lines.

any ideas?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

simplytheone

Dec 20, 2009
1. C7OKAS
2. OTA Update: No
3. Manual update: Yes
4. Firmware version: .26
5. Were you able to unlock: No

Jokun

Feb 8, 2013
1. D1OKAS
4. Firmware version: .25

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This kind of attack may be possible, but asus's servers only communicate the unlock information once. You would have to capture those communications and make a modified unlocker. Whether it works depends on how the bootloader code verifies the unlock information, and how much of the unlockable tablets information can be spoofed onto the un-unlockable tablet.

Here are my findings in regards to the unlock tool, for TF201 however probably applies to TF700 as well.

The Unlock tool app itself has these basic functions.
    1. Install certificate that is included in the BKS keystore file.
    2. DMServerUnlock. Connect to https://mdm.asus.com/DmServer/DeviceState using SSL connection, using the following parameters:
    --a. id=Wifi MAC address with columns removed
    --b. AUTH=an MD5 hashed string with some modification. The string itself consists of Wifi MAC + SerialNo + WVDrmUtils.getKeyBoxSha1(0) + the string "dm_server" + the string "nEEd_query_STATe"
    ----i. the getKeyBoxSha1 is probably DRM related information specific to the device. ---not confirmed as this seems to be native commands.
    --c. action=get
    3. The above connection will return whether your device is already unlocked or not from ASUS servers.
    4. If your device is still shown as locked, then it will proceed with determining whether a pin code verification or google account verification is necessary.
    5. Upon above verification, then the actual unlock process starts.
    6. NotifyDMServer - throws an android intent to the DMClient.apk program using the following: Action=com.asus.unlock.intent.REGISTRATION, Extra:registration_cpu_id = YourCpuId
    --a. YourCpuId is parsed from /sys/devices/platform/cardhu_misc/cardhu_chipid
    7. ---DMClient logic yet to be analyzed---
    8. The DMClient will return a two part string separated by ";;".
    --a. The first part is the unlock status. On success, this will be "unlock success"
    --b. The second part is the "SecretCpuId" which according to Rayman is simply your cpuid + 256byte length ASUS RSA 2048 signature as a hex string. The total byte length of the unhexed string needs to be 292.
    9. If unlock success and length is 292, then:
    --a. "boot-unlock recovery" is written to mmcblk0p3 (misc partition)
    --b. the "SecretCpuId" is written to mmcblk0p4 (staging partition)
    10. A reboot is issued.
    11. upon reboot, the bootloader checks the MISC partition for any commands, finds the "boot-unlock" command.
    --a. writes the contents ofmmcblk0p4 into mmcblk0p7 (CER partition)
    --b. bootloader will check the mmcblk0p7 contents, see if it is properly signed by ASUS, and if the cpuid matches, then:
    ----i. allow fastboot access
    ----ii. stop checking signature of blobs (not the header part, but the ASUS RSA signature at the end of BLOB files)
    ----iii. stop checking for signatures of boot images in SOS (recovery) and LNX(boot) partitions.

So basically, most of the logic within the unlock tool can be skipped. Acquiring the actual signed cpuid takes place within DMClient, I believe we need to analyze DMClient to see what parameters are being passed to the ASUS servers. Once this is done, we can do the following:
    - figure out if any of the parameters are incorrect or not being parsed successfully.
    - figure whether it is an issue with the proper SSL certificate being installed within the tablet itself.
    - if above two are not the issue, then its most likely the ASUS server does not have the correct combination of parameters for our devices defined within their databases...
    As of 11:00pm PST, the unlock apk just worked. Been trying since the day it came out and tonight it just randomly worked. I urge all of you to check to see if its working for you and please update with results.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    1. C7OKAS
    2. OTA - No
    3. Manual update - Haven't tried
    4. Firmware : .21 (trying to find out how to manually update.)
    5. Unlock: Haven't tried. (Won't until there is something out there worth voiding the warranty.)

Sent from my Transformer Infinity!
    Download the firmware for your tablet here:http://usa.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/#download
    extract it (it should be another zipfile) to the root of your internal momory.
    Reboot the tablet. The next time it boots, you'll get a firmware update notification, tap on it.
    @rightonred getting exactly same log as you, (Not unlocked)
    I was womdering if those errors had anything to do with it.
    We need the logcat of someone who hasn't unlocked and can OTA to see if there are any differences.
    So far what I gather is wvdrm.asus.com is an ssl (https) secured site that refuses unsecured (http) connections, and the tablet is trying to make an unsecured connection to that site. I tried connecting using sslstrip and that error message went away, but I got a network error when trying to update. I have yet to try using sslstrip and bypassing it for mdm.asus.com.
    Has anyone tried copying the serial from a successfully unlocked device to one that does not successfully unlock with its original serial number?
    This kind of attack may be possible, but asus's servers only communicate the unlock information once. You would have to capture those communications and make a modified unlocker. Whether it works depends on how the bootloader code verifies the unlock information, and how much of the unlockable tablets information can be spoofed onto the un-unlockable tablet.

EDIT: I really wish these tablets would unlock like the nexuses, this would have been avoided. ASUS is being overly cautious, verifying the tablets before they update, registering the unlocks and making them permanent, and it has backfired.
    Rumor is that it may be fixed. But that all rests on how asus is going to handle the problem.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app
    1. C7OKAS
    4. Firmware version: .26