Getting Started [Update 12/23 - OTA Update Install fix for root]

Search This thread

bigdinosaur

Apr 26, 2008
[Update 12/23] For those of you unable to install the new system update, I've found a solution -- scroll down to the update! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY OCCUR!

So I figured I'd at least get things started - Credit goes to whomever first tried z4root on their Droid Pro - and to mahst687 for the deodexing.

Lets Begin!

Resources:
Motorola ADB Driver
Android SDK
xUltimate V2.2.2
(Can't post links apparently, sorry -- googles your friend!)

#1 Root:
As seen on numerous android sites already, root is obtainable via z4root in the market. It may not work the first, second, or even third time -- just keep trying, it works I promise.

#2 Bootstrap and Clockwork Recovery
Download and install 'Rom Manager' from the Market. Once installed flash the Droid2 Clockwork Recovery. After flashing, obtain the Droid2 Bootstrapper and install it. Confirm Clockwork Recovery works by booting to recovery via Bootstrap.

#2 Deodex:
Download Android SDK for ADB, as well as the Motorola ADB Drivers posted above. Second, download xUltimate - also posted above. Once everything is downloaded and installed we're ready to begin.
1. Run Main in the xUltimate package - if the ADB drivers installed successfully you should be greeted with a menu containing several options - great!
2. Next run option 1.
3. Run option 2.
3. Run option 3 - sit back and relax for a bit
4. Once option 3 is done doing its thing, navigate to the xUltimate folder, more specifically the "origi_frame", and delete guava.odex
5. Run option 4 - it'll be a short wait
6. Exit the xUltimate
7. Enable USB Mass Storage on the phone and transfer both "done_app", and "done_frame" to the ROOT of the SD card.
8. Once both folders have transferred disable USB Storage, but keep the phone plugged in via USB.
9. Open up a command prompt and browse to the android SDK Tools folder (or where ever your ADB executable is located).
10. Enter the following commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot
11. If all went well your phone should reboot - which may take a few minutes. Enjoy!

[Update]12/23/2010
For those of you unable to get the new Droid Pro OTA working I have found a solution! You will need:
1)Root
2)Clockwork Recovery
3)System.img from update
4)Current Nandroid backup of your phone
5)ADB drivers and ASDK

So lets begin.

1)Boot into Clockwork recovery and create a backup of your phone.
2)Once complete, mount the phone as USB storage and pull the system.img file from the nandroid backup folder, as well as the nandroid.md5 (KEEP THESE FILES SAFE!!!!!)
3)Obtain the system.img file from here (Compliments of whoopsiedaisy).
4)Replace the system.img file in the Nandroid backup folder on your PHONE.
5)ADB into your phone (preferably still in recovery) and do the following:
Code:
adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-xx-xx.xx.xx.xx
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
6)If all goes will it should create a new MD5 checksum file utilizing the new system.img
7)Go to the 'backup and restore' menu in Clockwork, and select 'Advanced Restore'
8)Select the correct nandroid backup folder where the new system.img file is located, and then select 'Restore System'
9)Assuming all goes well, go to Settings, About and check your new system version!

Last edited:

rice247

Jun 11, 2010
Nice, can't wait to try this on my wifes phone after work.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Mackattack

Nov 30, 2009
Can you please post the quickoffice apk from the Dpro so I can put on an DX? Same would go for the software that allows me to Invite attendees to meetings using GAL. It be copasetic if you can.

jlpfam

Nov 30, 2010
I downloaded everything you said and i started my deodex but when i select option 3 in main it tells me "error no odex file" have i done something wrong please advise

lngwstx

Dec 10, 2010
Phoenix
Is it really that simple?

I feel like I must be missing something. I just download an app from the market and reboot and I'm rooted? :confused:

Also, what is the deodex for? I want to root my phone to install the apps I want and I want wifi tether. Do I need it? :eek:

Also, I really want to understand what is going on under the hood, but I don't know where to start. Is there a 'for dummies' tutorial somewhere that I can go to to start understanding what all of this stuff is, so I can make informed decisions for myself about what I want instead of begging for help on internet forums? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :D

rllong1

Feb 21, 2010
I see no uproot button on the screen. Only a root button

Sent from my DROID PRO using XDA App

rllong1

Feb 21, 2010
I had version 1.1 of z4. I now have the. 3 version and it has the unroot button

Sent from my DROID PRO using XDA App

rllong1

Feb 21, 2010
You'll only see the unroot button once you've rooted. Otherwise, it will first show only the "root" option.

I was rooted. I had titanium installed and superuser. Z4 ran fine but I had an old version of it. I dont know if that matters but thats all I did. I downloaded the 1.3 version and I now have the unroot button. On the old version there was no option for temp root either. Just root. On the version I have now there is a temp root and perm root button.

darkninja157

Sep 27, 2010
Delaware
Would just like to let people know that your method for "updating" via nandroid backup would not work for me. Followed all the instructions to the letter and during the advanced restore I continually received md5sum mismatch errors.

So I took the chance and updated through the OTA update, it installed fine but lost root. Ran z4root (twice) and gained root access again ;) .

Looking forward to some real custom daily driver roms for this guy.

Jibreil

Jan 11, 2007
Mumbai
Would just like to let people know that your method for "updating" via nandroid backup would not work for me. Followed all the instructions to the letter and during the advanced restore I continually received md5sum mismatch errors.

So I took the chance and updated through the OTA update, it installed fine but lost root. Ran z4root (twice) and gained root access again ;) .

Is there a way to uninstall the CWM recovery?

Apr 13, 2010

Kinda new to the whole rooting thing, just got a new Pro and rooted successfully with z4root, got rid of bloatware and installed titanium backup, wifi tether, etc. Am I correct in reading your post that I can unroot, OTA update, and re-root again? If so, will I have to uninstall bloatware again, or reinstall root apps? Or any other repeats? Any danger in doing this?

darkninja157

Sep 27, 2010
Delaware
Kinda new to the whole rooting thing, just got a new Pro and rooted successfully with z4root, got rid of bloatware and installed titanium backup, wifi tether, etc. Am I correct in reading your post that I can unroot, OTA update, and re-root again? If so, will I have to uninstall bloatware again, or reinstall root apps? Or any other repeats? Any danger in doing this?

No need to un-root. This update is for the system portion only and does not touch the userdata. I simply went ahead on the rooted phone, let the OTA update download and install. In doing so lost root, but had no trouble gaining root access again via z4root. Did not have to re-remove any of the bloatware, at least if I remember correctly. Root apps will not need to be reinstalled but you may need to re-give them permission for root access. No danger that I have noticed or can think of.

mahst68

Aug 29, 2010
Indianapolis
For anyone doing the update the android method....

For it to work

You must do the adb "new" md5 creation portion with your phone in clockwork recovery for it to work and to not receive the mismatch error...

To do this, reboot recovery... then plug in usb from your computer... during the phone boot into recovery you should hear the alert from your computer that something from usb was plugged in. Finally, use the mount option in recovery to mount sd card to be able to transfer the .img file over to the correct directory then unmount sd card and do the adb commands in terminal window...

I had the same mismatch errors using my windows 7 machine and creating the md5 with android booted

Hope this helps:D

Top Liked Posts