Smartwatch recomendations

Search This thread

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
I've been looking for a smartwatch for a few weeks now and was interested in buying one near the $100 price point. Currently I was thinking between the smartq z watch, the u8, or u8 pro. What would you guys recommend I get? Or would you recommend a different alternative? I don't want to spend too much one on since I'm not even sure that a smartwatch is the right thing for me, just want to experiment. Thanks

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
what do you want from a smartwatch?

-standalone/companion?
-speakerphone/mic?
-notifications?
-'works-out-of-the-box' / customizable?
-apps?

if i had to pick between those 3, Smartq Z, no doubt, simply because the U8 is worthless (imho anyway) and the U8 pro is just another unknown brand watch, the link in the topic here on XDA doesn't even work anymore

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
I'm thinking I would just need a companion. I mean I don't really see the point of having a standalone if it acts like a cheap phone but cost as much as a phone, but maybe someone could share why it would be better to have a standalone watch?
Speakerphone and mic would be nice so I can use voice commands and maybe listen to music and stuff like that, but I could probably live without them.
I wouldn't mind if it doesn't work out of the box as I like to customize my gadgets and flash new roms, etc.
What do you mean by apps? As in being able to install the playstore?

So basically I would want a watch that would
-of course have basic watch functions(time, alarm, stopwatch, etc)
-tell me what notifications I receive (calls, text,gmail,etc)
-allow be to view my calendar
-have pedometer/fitness capability
-possibly allow me to reply to notifications, maybe even with just a short preset text message
-have decent battery (if nothing more at least be able to last the full day)
-be able to see screen outside
-etc

By the way, I think that the smartqz has most of these capabilities, right? With the exception of a mic? Does it allow you to dismiss notification/reject a call, and send preset texts?

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on what a smartwatch should do (what you like to see) and if you have any other recommendations.

Thanks.

what do you want from a smartwatch?

-standalone/companion?
-speakerphone/mic?
-notifications?
-'works-out-of-the-box' / customizable?
-apps?

if i had to pick between those 3, Smartq Z, no doubt, simply because the U8 is worthless (imho anyway) and the U8 pro is just another unknown brand watch, the link in the topic here on XDA doesn't even work anymore

Last edited:

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
don't know how visible the screen of the smartq z is outside

U8 is unusable at that as well

Maybe you want to spenx a little moe for a sony sw2, or wait for the smartq z2/p2, I think that one has a transflective display as well

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
Do you currently own a smartwatch? Which one?

don't know how visible the screen of the smartq z is outside

U8 is unusable at that as well

Maybe you want to spenx a little moe for a sony sw2, or wait for the smartq z2/p2, I think that one has a transflective display as well

Last edited:

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
I think I'm going to wait until the z2/p1 is released and then make my decision.

simple1i

Aug 3, 2009
london
This year there's a few smartwatch being released:
Z2/P1
Apple's watch
Gear Solo with sim card
Moto 360
LG G watch
InWatch Z

Loads of Chinese Shenzhen ones
Probably new ones from elsewhere too.

Last edited:

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
So you have both the zwatch and sw2 and you prefer the sw2 over the zwatch? What makes the sw2 better, in your opinion? What version of the sw2 do you have?

At max light zwatch is full useful outside With full sun.
Otherwise, for me the best of all is the Sony Sw2

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
@riahim i currently have the Sony SW2 and the Elegance U8 watch

the U8 sucks, imnsho :)

also backed the Kreyos Meteor on IGG and the HOT Watch on kickstarter

will be checking out the Moto 360 for sure, if the price is right
might be checking out the smartq z2/p1 as well

simple1i

Aug 3, 2009
london
@riahim i currently have the Sony SW2 and the Elegance U8 watch

the U8 sucks, imnsho :)

also backed the Kreyos Meteor on IGG and the HOT Watch on kickstarter

will be checking out the Moto 360 for sure, if the price is right
might be checking out the smartq z2/p1 as well

JarlSX - not backing the InWatch Z and getting it early as promised by the CEO Sam?

Ar3ohdee

Mar 31, 2009
Seattle
inWatch Z... On the Way :)

JarlSX - not backing the InWatch Z and getting it early as promised by the CEO Sam?

Hey all, Rodney Just here (Director of Sales and Marketing for inWatch Z). I have just sent an email to JarlSX, and we will be getting a Z to em VERY SOON ;) in the meantime, I am happy to speak to what Z does and does not do! I am the one who has made ALL of the Videos you see with Z on the Indiegogo Campaign (http://bit.ly/inWatch), so I have had a lot of Hands on with the Phone/Watch. Let me know any questions you might have, OR if there is anything you would like to see Z do, and I am happy to show it on the campaign. Talk soon, cheers. -R

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
haven't seen your email yet, Rodney
@simple1i i'm willing to help with development/ideas, but with past experience (and still ongoing) with crowdfunding projects like the Kreyos Meteor and the HOT Watch, i'm not willing to bet 250$ on yet another watch

dersie

Mar 26, 2011
Nancy, Lorraine
So you have both the zwatch and sw2 and you prefer the sw2 over the zwatch? What makes the sw2 better, in your opinion? What version of the sw2 do you have?

I think there are only one version of the Sony Smartwatch 2 (SW2) just different wrist band.

There are many many thing that make the SW2 better.

- Always ON

With same usage I can use the ZWatch maybe 18H hours before end of batt, each time you light up it decrease batt life quickly. SW2 can works 3 days with 18 at 20H by day, otherwise on ligh use it works 4 at 5 days.

SW2 perfect phone compagnion, many app sync phone data. Perfect notification mail, sms, hangout, skype...... perfect control of phone, beautiful notification, dialing, answer call.....

Made your own watchface in less 1min, and very amazing watchface : (I change watchface almost every day)
Some :

SW2_NeFa_Widgets_Evt.jpg

SW2_ClockWidgetsSW2_Analog_LCD_TH.jpg

sw2_roman_widgets.jpg

sw2_analdigitmaur.jpg

SW2_NeFa_Highway.jpg

Ar3ohdee

Mar 31, 2009
Seattle
My Bad, I didn't send you an email :p

haven't seen your email yet, Rodney

@simple1i i'm willing to help with development/ideas, but with past experience (and still ongoing) with crowdfunding projects like the Kreyos Meteor and the HOT Watch, i'm not willing to bet 250$ on yet another watch

My Bad, I was emailing Idris, who had suggested Sam and you had spoken before. I will pm you now, and exchange emails :) -R

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
Ok, so I was going to wait for the z2 or moto 360 but now I think I'm just going to go ahead and a "cheap" smartwatch to see if it fits my life. I've heard great things about the smartq z watch. Should I just go for this one or the u8, u8 pro, sony smartwatch, or what do other people recommend. I'd like to keep the cost to under $150 just to see if I even need a smartwatch.

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
well, i wouldn't pick the U8. or the U8 pro for that matter. simply because the lack of support/development (or any of those cheap things, you get what you pay for)

i'm pretty happy with my Smartwatch 2, though i might be getting a G Watch or Moto 360 (depends on the price)

the smartq z might be a good choice as well, but you might want to wait a bit longer for the z2/p1 (anyone know when it will finally be available?)

riahim

Jun 11, 2012
Yeah, I was going to wait for the z2/p1 to show up but it keeps getting pushed back. It isn't even listed anymore on the iprotablet site anymore... Like JarlSX said, if anyone has any news on this watch please post it here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At max light zwatch is full useful outside With full sun.
    Otherwise, for me the best of all is the Sony Sw2

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk