[Q] How do I NOT update to Kit Kat

Search This thread

hugenut

May 18, 2014
Total Noob here as evident in this being my first post, but googling about how to NOT installl this Kit Kat update that has popped up on my Verizon Note 3 today has brought me here.
Is there any way I can disable this update from happening? I have heard great things about rooting and custom ROMS, and have heard that updating may jeopardize this.
So can I turn off Verizon's ability to update my phone? I delayed this, but my Note 3 wants to install the files it downloaded at 2 a.m.
Can someone give me a crash course to help me, and/or a quick way to prevent this?
Many Thanks.

flossdaily

Jan 12, 2011
Step 1 - Root your phone

Total Noob here as evident in this being my first post, but googling about how to NOT installl this Kit Kat update that has popped up on my Verizon Note 3 today has brought me here.
Is there any way I can disable this update from happening? I have heard great things about rooting and custom ROMS, and have heard that updating may jeopardize this.
So can I turn off Verizon's ability to update my phone? I delayed this, but my Note 3 wants to install the files it downloaded at 2 a.m.
Can someone give me a crash course to help me, and/or a quick way to prevent this?
Many Thanks.

This method has worked for me twice. Latest was today:

youtube.com/watch?v=ukajWoxI3Tg&index=12&list=PLSQtCJEhU8pillzM7CZlSqFwApt7tKeWV

SKIP ALL THE STUFF ABOUT ODIN AND FLASHING FIRMWARE!!!! If you are stock JB, you don't need to do this part.

Then to get all the Chinese stuff off your phone, follow this tutorial:

youtube.com/watch?v=L5ebYM9CDkI&index=13&list=PLSQtCJEhU8pillzM7CZlSqFwApt7tKeWV

Finally, Install titanium backup, and freeze the program that is trying to force and over the air update. I came to the forum looking for the name of that file. Best I can find so far is: LocalFOTA v2_1308_1_1 -- but there my be others. Come back to the forum when you're rooted and search for it.

Best of luck!

BlastTyrantKM

Dec 21, 2011
Many Thanks.

The best way to not update it, is to not update it. It isn't automatic. But after updating mine, my phone is better than ever. Noticeably faster transitions & animations, and great battery. Everything works better with 4.4.2 than it did with 4.3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

wickets

May 8, 2012
The best way to not update it, is to not update it. It isn't automatic. But after updating mine, my phone is better than ever. Noticeably faster transitions & animations, and great battery. Everything works better with 4.4.2 than it did with 4.3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Im having issues with gmail. With 4.3, if you zoomed and tapped it automatically fit to screen......now it doesnt line wrap.......cant find a single way to fix, ergo my visit here to xda :) Are you having any issues with line wrap since updating? I know with the browser google purposely turned that off with their webview, but i didnt know that extended to gmail

BlastTyrantKM

Dec 21, 2011
Im having issues with gmail. With 4.3, if you zoomed and tapped it automatically fit to screen......now it doesnt line wrap.......cant find a single way to fix, ergo my visit here to xda :) Are you having any issues with line wrap since updating? I know with the browser google purposely turned that off with their webview, but i didnt know that extended to gmail

I don't use Gmail, so I don't know if it's working or not. I'm using Mailbox and it does have that feature and it works. Even has a multi-level zoom w/ text wrapping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

wickets

May 8, 2012
I don't use Gmail, so I don't know if it's working or not. I'm using Mailbox and it does have that feature and it works. Even has a multi-level zoom w/ text wrapping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, mailbox is fantastic and it does have the autofit feature........unfortunately its gmail only so if you have an outlook account etc you cant use it:(

thanks for the input....much appreciated

Tidewater

Aug 30, 2012
OnePlus 11
Many Thanks.

The only way you can really stop it is to root and delete a file called sdm 1.0. That is the update checker. But if you are going that far you might as well install a custom rom. There are several good kk roms available now. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that if you ever want to root, you can't take the ota. There will probably never be a root method for the ota version. The leaked nc2 build is kk that is rooted by default and is the base for all available kk roms.

Sent from the magical land of Baja(ROM)

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

If you need detailed instructions on rooting and upgrading, check out this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2740466

This guy is awesome and has the best instructional threads for those in need

Reactions: gotghost29

gotghost29

Feb 21, 2014
The only way you can really stop it is to root and delete a file called sdm 1.0. That is the update checker. But if you are going that far you might as well install a custom rom. There are several good kk roms available now. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that if you ever want to root, you can't take the ota. There will probably never be a root method for the ota version. The leaked nc2 build is kk that is rooted by default and is the base for all available kk roms.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

If you need detailed instructions on rooting and upgrading, check out this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2740466

That worked for me... finally a fix thanks so much

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Tidewater

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many Thanks.

That worked for me... finally a fix thanks so much

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app