Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

Search This thread

boominski

Aug 20, 2012
First off: I am not anti-Google. I use all the main Google apps. I have had four Android phones, own 2 Nexus 7's and would take Android over iOS any day of the week.

But...

I am through with this piece of crap that passes for the Nexus 10.

Since buying this thing when it first came out I have had to put up with dodgy wifi connections, creaky flexing back panels, random freezes and reboots, and - worst of all - deal-breakingly poor quality control on the screens. I have been through several RMAs with Google Play (to the point where they are refusing to send me any more replacements - and at the moment they are not even replying to my emails) and am now on my 5th device. All of the devices have had unacceptable levels of light bleed, and - worse still - blotchy screens with uneven yellow or blue tints. I have been through nightmares with the Play store and TNT trying to get devices returned and shipped, and have a pile of email correspondence so long that it could be turned into a Peter Jackson trilogy. The Play store is staffed by some of the greatest morons that I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. I have constantly been given wrong or misleading information, and have had to harass and badger them at every stage to get anything done. I still have a device listed as 'pending' on my Google Wallet that has long since been returned, despite being told on numerous occasions that an 'expert' was going to remove it.

For anyone with a perfect device, or who is just happy with their's however it is: I am genuinely pleased for you. This could, and more importantly, should, have been an amazing piece of kit. But as it is, my time with the Nexus 10 has been, without any shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst customer experience I have had in my entire life, by a long country mile.

My blotchy, creaky, light bleedy slab of **** is going back. I'll be getting a full refund and returning to my long neglected iPad. Which actually works like it's supposed to.

YMMV

mchahn

Mar 14, 2008
my two cents

When you got the second sample and were still unhappy then it was masochistic to keep trying. You should have given up and ended the pain way before getting to the fifth device. Clearly it is not designed to the quality you require and most, if not all, of the samples were probably typical of the quality of everyone else's.

Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Many others, including myself, are not sensitive to the defects you point out. I don't care about an occasional reboot (which only happened in the first day for me), the light bleed, case cracking sounds, etc. Different people have different needs.

You were asking the support people to make the product right for you, which is probably impossible given that particular design. How do you expect them to behave? They certainly aren't going to say the nexus 10 is **** and they also can't say that you are wrong. The nexus 10 is not **** for most people and you are not wrong for wanting a particular level of quality.

To make a long story short you should walk away and spend your energy finding something better instead of banging your head against a lost cause.

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Well it took me forever to get a good one... Returns and repairs but its pretty good now.

Funny you praise the nexus 7 while cursing this one. I got 8 crap n7s in a row. Finding one without bleed and lifted screen is like finding a unicorn. The ones not plagued by screen issues are pretty cool... The same can be said for the n10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
First off: I am not anti-Google. I use all the main Google apps. I have had four Android phones, own 2 Nexus 7's and would take Android over iOS any day of the week.

But...

Since buying this thing when it first came out I have had to put up with dodgy wifi connections, creaky flexing back panels, random freezes and reboots, and - worst of all - deal-breakingly poor quality control on the screens. I have been through several RMAs with Google Play (to the point where they are refusing to send me any more replacements - and at the moment they are not even replying to my emails) and am now on my 5th device. All of the devices have had unacceptable levels of light bleed, and - worse still - blotchy screens with uneven yellow or blue tints. I have been through nightmares with the Play store and TNT trying to get devices returned and shipped, and have a pile of email correspondence so long that it could be turned into a Peter Jackson trilogy. The Play store is staffed by some of the greatest morons that I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. I have constantly been given wrong or misleading information, and have had to harass and badger them at every stage to get anything done. I still have a device listed as 'pending' on my Google Wallet that has long since been returned, despite being told on numerous occasions that an 'expert' was going to remove it.

For anyone with a perfect device, or who is just happy with their's however it is: I am genuinely pleased for you. This could, and more importantly, should, have been an amazing piece of kit. But as it is, my time with the Nexus 10 has been, without any shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst customer experience I have had in my entire life, by a long country mile.

My blotchy, creaky, light bleedy slab of **** is going back. I'll be getting a full refund and returning to my long neglected iPad. Which actually works like it's supposed to.

YMMV

Cool story

Randomwalker

Dec 5, 2011
You know, I can see your point, but I can't see how it merits a new thread here.

What do we gain from reading it? What do you gain from us having read it? (I can totally understand what you gained by writing it, but why not pin in on a wall, be it real or virtual?).

mchahn

Mar 14, 2008
You know, I can see your point, but I can't see how it merits a new thread here.

What do we gain from reading it? What do you gain from us having read it? (I can totally understand what you gained by writing it, but why not pin in on a wall, be it real or virtual?).

It is possible @boominski is a troll. Just saying.

Reactions: morbach

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6

He is sharing his bad experience. Anyone looking to buy a Nexus 10 should be aware of both the good side, and bad sides.

mchahn

Mar 14, 2008
He is sharing his bad experience. Anyone looking to buy a Nexus 10 should be aware of both the good side, and bad sides.

There is a difference between useful sharing of a bad experience and trashing it. He seems to be saying that he was harmed and the world owes him something. No company owes anyone anything unless they misrepresent the product or are outright fraudulent.

I actually feel sorry for the support team on this one. Sending 5 units is beyond the call of duty. I would quit responding to his emails also. A friend of mine worked in support and he called these customers "screamers". There was nothing you could do to make them happy. He wanted to tell them to give up and buy a competitors product but he could have lost his job for saying that.

It is *possible* he is an apple fan coming here to troll. I'm not accusing him but I've seen this on other forums many times. The fact that he says he is going back to his iPad is a clue.

Reactions: dekeijzer

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I feel so sorry to the customer service handle your case.

Such customer shall be doing such job to learn the lesson.

Requesting 5 times changing was ridiculous. If 2nd change not fulfil your requirements. Stop continue and by just requested for full refund as it was known the thing never right nor matter how many times you change it.

It was great for your continue using back your satisfied iPad.

Think twice in future before repeating such hilarious attitude.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Idk, on one hand, if he really wanted the device, 5 tries at it doesn't seem too bad. On the other hand, if decent QC was actually existent, then so many replacements wouldn't have to be issued to find an "acceptable" device (for $400 I wouldn't deal with excessive screen bleed nor a creaky back either; luckily I have neither on my first device though).

So, it's either deal with the QC flaws on a $400 device, or annoy CS because of lack of QC. Maybe annoying them will actually make Google/Samsung do some better QC :p

As for the Apple part, I do agree it is kind of unnecessary. But then again if that's the tablet that works for him, then meh.

Reactions: atg284

boominski

Aug 20, 2012
There is a difference between useful sharing of a bad experience and trashing it. He seems to be saying that he was harmed and the world owes him something. No company owes anyone anything unless they misrepresent the product or are outright fraudulent.

I actually feel sorry for the support team on this one. Sending 5 units is beyond the call of duty. I would quit responding to his emails also. A friend of mine worked in support and he called these customers "screamers". There was nothing you could do to make them happy. He wanted to tell them to give up and buy a competitors product but he could have lost his job for saying that.

It is *possible* he is an apple fan coming here to troll. I'm not accusing him but I've seen this on other forums many times. The fact that he says he is going back to his iPad is a clue.

Not trolling at all. Actually reading this on my Nexus 7 rather than my iPad. Android is so far ahead of iOS it feels like a backward step to have to use it. Was going to sell the thing if the Nexus 10 turned out right. Such a shame since the N10 pisses all over the iPad in every respect. Apart from the defective screen, obviously. I can overlook the creaks (put it in a case) and the light bleed (don't watch films in the dark).I can even overlook the WiFi and reboot issues, but an uneven screen is a deal breaker. I use my tablets primarily for reading, so yellow patches are highly distracting. And as for the Play Store staff: I have come across some who have been extremely helpful, but I've also been repeatedly given wrong information, lied to and messed about. The customer service is genuinely appalling. As for just giving in: it took me three exchanges to get a decent iPad (uneven screen again), so am not inclined to throw in the towel. What would make me happy? A reasonably uniform screen. I'm not looking for perfection. I know these are mass produced consumer products. But equally I see no reason to spend £300 on something sub-standard. If Google don't want me returning things then they should get their quality control sorted out. And yes - writing this has been cathartic.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010

As someone who has worked in retail for 17 year in positions that involve selling the general public goods what you hear from over the top customers is usually about 40% truth and 60% exaggeration in the hopes it will escalate their problem and get it resolved quickly to `their' satisifaction. Typically what is considered `their satisfaction' is a set of goal posts that never stops moving.

The replacement collectors I pay no attention to.. There is one dude around here that his signature is how he's had 5 Nexus 10 replacements and 5 Nexus 4 replacements.. Seriously.. I can't take that seriously..

Reactions: addicted1900

boominski

Aug 20, 2012
As someone who has worked in retail for 17 year in positions that involve selling the general public goods what you hear from over the top customers is usually about 40% truth and 60% exaggeration in the hopes it will escalate their problem and get it resolved quickly to `their' satisifaction. Typically what is considered `their satisfaction' is a set of goal posts that never stops moving.

The replacement collectors I pay no attention to.. There is one dude around here that his signature is how he's had 5 Nexus 10 replacements and 5 Nexus 4 replacements.. Seriously.. I can't take that seriously..

Which part of my post do you think is an exaggeration? The part where I said that I wasn't looking for perfection, could live with light bleed, wifi drop-outs and reboots, but drew the line at wanting a 'reasonably' even screen in terms of temperature and light distribution was a clue as to what I consider my 'goalposts' to be. My iPad isn't perfect: the screen is not 100% uniform and it has minor light bleed. My Nexus 7 isn't perfect: it has some light bleed, wifi drop-outs and the screen flicker issue. My Android phone isn't perfect: the screen is not 100% even. But are they acceptable? Yes. Because. even though consumer devices are not perfect, they are of a 'reasonable' quality.

That = 'goalposts'.

Why is that too hard for some people to understand?

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
Nothing in this world is perfection.

From all you write, you are finding for perfection but just not admit only.

Why life so hard? You can't be happy and satisfied forever as you are too towards for perfection. They is no such thing in this world!

Reactions: styckx

voodooevil

Nov 24, 2012
this thing is sooo slugish and freezes after 4.2.2 update

this thing is going to my sisters 7 year old. I already told him if he drops and breaks it he will be doing us all a favor. ever since the 4.2.2 update it became laggy in all areas.
i think the only good thing about this thing was the ppi.....i did a lot of ebook reading.
I ordered ( just got the confirmation from microsoft) a surface pro. sorry google, i tried so many times along with 4 rma's and i just cant do this any more. please open those brick motar stores you keep talking about. it will make it easier for us to return your products.
...joe

atg284

Nov 26, 2012
The customer service representatives tell you to return it until you get one you are satisfied with. Not the other way around. They are quick to offer another RMA. I stopped after the second one had horrible light bleed because I didn't want to play THEIR game any more. I got a refund and got the hell out of the crappy RMA merry go round. I'm waiting to hear if they have fixed the quality control issues but sadly it still sounds like a crap shoot.

Last edited:

FreakPrism

Jan 14, 2012
this thing is going to my sisters 7 year old. I already told him if he drops and breaks it he will be doing us all a favor. ever since the 4.2.2 update it became laggy in all areas.
i think the only good thing about this thing was the ppi.....i did a lot of ebook reading.
I ordered ( just got the confirmation from microsoft) a surface pro. sorry google, i tried so many times along with 4 rma's and i just cant do this any more. please open those brick motar stores you keep talking about. it will make it easier for us to return your products.
...joe

Really? for me after 4.2.2 I find the tablet is more responsiveness and battery life is improved - not sluggish at all. I have not had a reboot so far while using the tabet but did experience a few wifi drops (reconnected after a few seconds). Still trying to figure out where wifi drops happen as I'm running a Asus RT-N66U (with Tomato firmware).

I am running stock and lost root after the OTA upgrade. Have you tried a factory reset?

Grimthorr

Dec 27, 2012
England, UK
hughesbox.co.uk
I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my two cents

When you got the second sample and were still unhappy then it was masochistic to keep trying. You should have given up and ended the pain way before getting to the fifth device. Clearly it is not designed to the quality you require and most, if not all, of the samples were probably typical of the quality of everyone else's.

Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Many others, including myself, are not sensitive to the defects you point out. I don't care about an occasional reboot (which only happened in the first day for me), the light bleed, case cracking sounds, etc. Different people have different needs.

You were asking the support people to make the product right for you, which is probably impossible given that particular design. How do you expect them to behave? They certainly aren't going to say the nexus 10 is **** and they also can't say that you are wrong. The nexus 10 is not **** for most people and you are not wrong for wanting a particular level of quality.

To make a long story short you should walk away and spend your energy finding something better instead of banging your head against a lost cause.

But...

YMMV
    Doesn't matter where you get it, All N10's have a large varying degree of defects it seems.

I'm not discounting the reports here about problems, but I have to disagree with that statement. I've had my N10 since early December and it's been excellent. A few odd freezes in Chrome early on, but when I switched to Chrome beta they almost completely disappeared. Since installing 4.2.2 I've had over 100 hours uptime without a single hiccup. I've been using stock Chrome (not beta) since the update, and it's been great. Also: no light bleed, no creaking, no screen lift, etc.

I also have a number of associates and friends with N10's and oddly enough their experiences have been essentially the same as mine. I really have to emphasize that I mean no disrespect to those here reporting issues, and I sympathize, but I'm finding it really odd that my own experience, and that of others I know personally, suggests that aside from some bugs in earlier versions of Android, the tablet is generally superb when a fair number of folks here are reporting pretty bad issues. It's hard to make sense of such a discrepancy between the complaints I read here and my own experience, that of my known associates, and the various reviews I've read online. Not sure what to make of this quite honestly, as those here reporting multiple bad devices would seem to suggest that most units are defective, which is totally at odds with my own experience and knowledge.

I'd love to know the real stats about this, as online problem forums tend to attract and focus problem reports, quite naturally, and may represent skewed stats. Having run online sites and communities in the past, I've also personally experienced the annoying phenomenon of online sock puppets as well.

I feel bad for those here with bad experiences, but I'm having trouble generalizing that to the product in general, when it would seem to me to be superb. Again, no disrespect to those with problems, I just have trouble imagining that this represents the product in general.

... beamed from my Nexus 10 to your planet
    I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.