Cant flash recovery

Search This thread

DON_58

Feb 1, 2011
Earlier today my phone froze. I left it alone for a few minutes to see if it would sort itself out. That didnt happen so I pulled the battery out and rebooted. After having passed the htc boot screen I got stuck on they cyanogenmod boot screen. It constantly kept rebooting but it couldnt get passed the cyanogenmod boot screen. I tried flashing a recovery image with cwm but that didnt work as I got an error that said

"Error while erasing boot image!" followed by
E:Cant mount /cache/recovery/command
E:cant mount /cache/recovery/ log
E:cant open /cache/ recovery/log
E:cant mount /cache/recovery/ last_log
E:cant open /cache/recovery/ last_log

Tried wiping data and cache and installing the newest version of cm7 through a zip and now I cant get passed the htc boot screen.

I was running the cyanogen 7 RC4 mod and did a perm root using the gfree method.

pokemontrainer4life

Oct 7, 2010
Another one? This is happening so much lately. It's frightening. :[
As far as I know, no one has found a solution or the cause. I have to assume it has something to do with CM.
Every story I've heard, people were running CM7. And they've all been G2s.
I'm personally just going to have to get a replacement through my insurance for $130. Or if I can find a good deal on a Nexus One on ebay, I'd love to do that.

lainvalenajr

Dec 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Yea people been having this issue lately. I guess am not even going to flash any other rom right now, untill somebody finds out what's wrong. Really scary stuff. Another thing I saw with the people getting issue is the use gfree method. Well not saying that can be the caused. I hope someone finds a way to fix this.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z/G2 Using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Getting a bit scared that this error is popping up all over out of seemingly nowhere! I'm gonna be extra careful for the moment.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

Spastic909

Dec 28, 2010
Its because you did something wrong..I have a US G2 and never had this issue nor has it started

Sent from my Vision using XDA Premium App

theSpam

May 15, 2010
Toronto
Another one? This is happening so much lately. It's frightening. :[
As far as I know, no one has found a solution or the cause. I have to assume it has something to do with CM.
Every story I've heard, people were running CM7. And they've all been G2s.
I'm personally just going to have to get a replacement through my insurance for $130. Or if I can find a good deal on a Nexus One on ebay, I'd love to do that.

You haven't seen any DZs affected by this issue?

DON_58

Feb 1, 2011
Unfortunately I don't have the ENG Hboot. I hope someone figures out a solution soon. I hate my old sidekick -____-

DON_58

Feb 1, 2011
I thought about trying that before tried doing that by holding the down volume button and then the power button and selecting factory reset but when I select that option nothing happens. Is there some other way to revert?

lainvalenajr

Dec 12, 2010
Chula Vista
I thought about trying that before tried doing that by holding the down volume button and then the power button and selecting factory reset but when I select that option nothing happens. Is there some other way to revert?

Well if you can go to clockwork than the only way is ADB...

DON_58

Feb 1, 2011
do you mean if I CANT access clockwork the only other way is ADB? Because I can access it im just not sure how go about revert to stock.

ibemad1

Oct 15, 2010
Washington
Well if you can actually open cwm you should be able to mount the sd card and put the stock image on your sd card, then flash it using the hboot.

Sent from my G2 running Cyanogenmod 7.

lainvalenajr

Dec 12, 2010
Chula Vista
do you mean if I CANT access clockwork the only other way is ADB? Because I can access it im just not sure how go about revert to stock.

Sorry I mean to say if you can't. Yea if you can't go in Clockwork then the only thing that would help is Adb(need Eng-hboot). Other than that I don't know my friend

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
I tried flashing to a stock rom that I got from here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=788489

However, I get an error when opening the zip

When I try and install the new cm7 though, it installs successfully but when rebooted hangs at the htc screen

PC10IMG files are flashed through the bootloader (white screen with green skateboarding Androids on the bottom), not through recovery. If you have the PC10IMG.zip file on the root of your SD card, simply enter the bootloader (Volume Down + Power) and it should detect the file and ask if you want to flash the ROM.

In recovery, have you tried formatting the system partition as well as data and cache prior to flashing a custom ROM? Also, do you know what version of CWM you were running? Have you checked out the guide on recovering semi-bricks in the dev section? Since you have ADB working, it has some instructions on flashing recovery and such through ADB (so you flash the latest version for example and try again).

cjward23

Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough
Earlier today my phone froze. I left it alone for a few minutes to see if it would sort itself out. That didnt happen so I pulled the battery out and rebooted. After having passed the htc boot screen I got stuck on they cyanogenmod boot screen. It constantly kept rebooting but it couldnt get passed the cyanogenmod boot screen. I tried flashing a recovery image with cwm but that didnt work as I got an error that said

"Error while erasing boot image!" followed by
E:Cant mount /cache/recovery/command
E:cant mount /cache/recovery/ log
E:cant open /cache/ recovery/log
E:cant mount /cache/recovery/ last_log
E:cant open /cache/recovery/ last_log

Tried wiping data and cache and installing the newest version of cm7 through a zip and now I cant get passed the htc boot screen.

I was running the cyanogen 7 RC4 mod and did a perm root using the gfree method.

I was disscussing the fact that i had the wrong hboot. i was using the one designed for the G2 and I have a DZ. So I decided to change to the correct one, I'm comfortable with ADB so I did not for see any problems. So I flashed the correct hboot 0.84.2000, and everything looked good, rebooted in to bootloader, all good and then finally in to recovery.
Oh crap, some problem as everyone else. You know what they say if "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it". So with that in mind I thought it best to flash back to the G2 hboot. Now I didn't know ADB worked whilst you were in recovery, but it does. I followed the insrtuctions re flashed the G2 hboot and everything works as it did before.