[APP][1.5+] Remote LogCat 1.08 - device/browser/sd/http/sms logcat

Search This thread

_miha_

May 5, 2010
Hamburg
You did read the title and still clicked so I think you may need this little app :cool:

I wanted to see the Android device log convenient on my desktop browser without using USB cable and also be able to send APKs to the device to update my apps. Without root! App install of course needs confirmation on device.
Also a nice log view on the device is always helpful - I found aLogCat scrolling too slow to be usefull and it can not jump directly to errors.
For tests of my remotely running app MobileWebCam I also need the possibility to get logs saved even without internet connection - so SMS can be sent to the device to trigger logging. For other apps there is an intent to trigger logs if Remote LogCat is installed. And the standard feature is there, too: dump logs from time to time onto sdcard, http or others like email with the support of my other app AutoShare ...

Filtering the log is a little complicated right now but I found myself using the full log most of the time anyway ...

Find the apk is attached to this post or in Android Market.

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 767
  • screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 570
  • RemoteLogCat.apk
    101.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Ohh, for some time I've wanted something like this! Thank you _miha_!

Downloading now, will report a little bit later as my phone is currently in 'flashing' state!

_miha_

May 5, 2010
Hamburg

That is an IPv6 format address. I do not know why you have one - maybe CM9 uses v6 preferred?

Try to enter [ and ] around the numbers and ::s. Like:

http://[fe80::123:65ff:fe68:767a%wlan0]:8080

(see here: http://superuser.com/questions/242122/accessing-non-port80-web-server-using-ipv6)

You can disable webserver with the third setting (Enable - HTTP server enabled. Access using Browser...) - it is enabled default at the moment so users do not have to search it before trying the app.

Last edited:

_miha_

May 5, 2010
Hamburg
version 1.04

Anything else I can try?

Also, when disabling HTTP server and exiting the app with the back button, the logcat service is still alive.:(

Updated version 1.04 displays ipv4 adress only now. And does no longer let Android restart the service in case it is not enabled (thanks for making me aware of that)!

CRXed

Jan 7, 2010
IPv4 is working now!

But when I disable the HTTP server, I still see a service running in the background.
Which service is this? I use SystemPanel to check.

Also, when opening the app for the first time, my entire phone get's very slow, because it is trying to retreive all logging info.
After clearing the log, everything is smooth again.

Also, when the log is very big, I get this:

Code:
W/dalvikvm(18755): threadid=21: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a541f8)
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): FATAL EXCEPTION: Thread-333
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.enlargeBuffer(AbstractStringBuilder.java:94)
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append0(AbstractStringBuilder.java:145)
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:216)
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at com.dngames.remotelogcat.a.a(HelloServer.java:85)
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at com.dngames.remotelogcat.h.run(NanoHTTPD.java:424)
E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:856)
W/ActivityManager( 1803):   Force finishing activity com.dngames.remotelogcat/.RemoteLogCat

More info in my signature.

Reactions: _miha_

_miha_

May 5, 2010
Hamburg
To stop the always running background service please disable in the settings and leave the app. This seems not to be obvious enough - so maybe I should add a button in the first menu?

_miha_

May 5, 2010
Hamburg
After a long time a little update to version 1.08 ...

I stripped html from the browser logcat so it is no longer confused when apps log html tags. Also two error message crashes are fixed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You did read the title and still clicked so I think you may need this little app :cool:

I wanted to see the Android device log convenient on my desktop browser without using USB cable and also be able to send APKs to the device to update my apps. Without root! App install of course needs confirmation on device.
    Also a nice log view on the device is always helpful - I found aLogCat scrolling too slow to be usefull and it can not jump directly to errors.
    For tests of my remotely running app MobileWebCam I also need the possibility to get logs saved even without internet connection - so SMS can be sent to the device to trigger logging. For other apps there is an intent to trigger logs if Remote LogCat is installed. And the standard feature is there, too: dump logs from time to time onto sdcard, http or others like email with the support of my other app AutoShare ...

Filtering the log is a little complicated right now but I found myself using the full log most of the time anyway ...

Find the apk is attached to this post or in Android Market.
    I can't get it to work.

My phone has a normal IPv4 IP adres, 192.168.0.13

I tried
    http://[fe80::123:65ff:fe68:767a%wlan0]:8080
    http://[fe80::123:65ff:fe68:767a]:8080, because, what is %wlan ??

Anything else I can try?

Also, when disabling HTTP server and exiting the app with the back button, the logcat service is still alive.:(
    IPv4 is working now!

But when I disable the HTTP server, I still see a service running in the background.
    Which service is this? I use SystemPanel to check.

Also, when opening the app for the first time, my entire phone get's very slow, because it is trying to retreive all logging info.
    After clearing the log, everything is smooth again.

Also, when the log is very big, I get this:

Code:
    W/dalvikvm(18755): threadid=21: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a541f8)
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): FATAL EXCEPTION: Thread-333
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.enlargeBuffer(AbstractStringBuilder.java:94)
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append0(AbstractStringBuilder.java:145)
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:216)
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at com.dngames.remotelogcat.a.a(HelloServer.java:85)
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at com.dngames.remotelogcat.h.run(NanoHTTPD.java:424)
    E/AndroidRuntime(18755): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:856)
    W/ActivityManager( 1803):   Force finishing activity com.dngames.remotelogcat/.RemoteLogCat

More info in my signature.