Extracting files from KDZ

Search This thread

ballandbiscuit

Jul 25, 2007
HI,

I am trying to get an apk from a KDZ file. I can open up the KDZ but then there are many other files inside. I guess the apks are in one of these other files. Does anyone know how to get the apk from within .img files etc?

Thanks

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Why don't you get it from the sapps module zip on void's rom?

ballandbiscuit

Jul 25, 2007
I need a particular app from the Orange UK ROM - the app is called Signal Boost and it is for UMA calling.

Is that app in the ROM you mention?

ruigui

Oct 11, 2010
What you need is this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6303911&postcount=827
It allows you to decompress system.mbn (where all the files are).
Compile it under linux, or use cygwin.

Remember that official ROMs are odexed. If you want to deodex apks, you can use dsixda's excelent kitchen. It is used to make lots of ROMs you see around here.
For that, take a look here (you can also use it under cygwin):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

If you understand portuguese, or use a translator, check these:
http://www.androidpt.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=97&id=91547&Itemid=30
http://www.androidpt.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=97&id=97416&Itemid=30
Most info was gathered from xda forums, only translated and organized to portuguese folks.

Last edited:

ruigui

Oct 11, 2010
You just need to compile unyaffsmbn (gcc unyaffsmbn.c -o unyaffsmbn).
Then copy system.mbn to unyaffsmbn folder. Then do:
./unyaffsmbn system.mbn
You'll have all files extracted in few seconds.

Then if you want to use those files in kitchen, do this:
First install kitchen, as explained in link i posted above.
Delete all symlinks in bin/ (i think there are 52)
Then you must create a zip file with this structure:
/boot.img
/system/ (here you put all the files you extracted. You should have 10 folders and 1 file)
Now just copy this zip to PATH_TO_KITCHEN/original_update/
Then run it with:
cd PATH_TO_KITCHEN
./menu

ballandbiscuit

Jul 25, 2007
Right I have three system.mbn files named:

system.mbn_0
system.mbn_1
system.mbn_2

I have tried a few tools (under Windows) to extract them. Firstly a windows compiled version of unyaffs which falls over with : Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=61100F73

I then tried another version which didn't error but also didn't do anything!

A different tool errored with "the header states that its binary is longer than the whole file" which makes me think perhaps these three files need combining into one?

I have tried combining them into one file using the copy /b command in Windows which creates a single large file but I still have the same issues trying to unpack it.

Any more ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

ballandbiscuit

Jul 25, 2007
Right have now installed Cygwin and managed to extract the files using unyaffsmbn! Thanks for all your help, learnt a lot today!

ruigui

Oct 11, 2010
Right I have three system.mbn files named:

system.mbn_0
system.mbn_1
system.mbn_2

How did you decompress kdz? I use LG Utils to extract to dz, then dzdecryptor to decompress dz to individual files. Then i use the tools i named to do the rest of it.
Also i can see that lg utils finds those system*, but puts them together before it ends. Maybe you used different software.
Anyway, i'm glad you managed to work it out ;)

I have tried a few tools (under Windows) to extract them. Firstly a windows compiled version of unyaffs which falls over with : Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=61100F73

There is unyaffs, and unyaffsmbn. unyaffs also never worked with me.
I've read somewhere that with lg roms we must use unyaffsmbn. Don't remember were i saw it, neither why...

Last edited:

ballandbiscuit

Jul 25, 2007
I used LG utils to extract the KDZ, then used DZExtract to expand the .dz file. Then I combined the system.mbn_0,1,2 files using copy /b.

I then used Cygwin and gcc to make unyaffsmbn.exe which then worked on the combined system.mbn file. Managed to get the apk I needed too.

Top Liked Posts